Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on New member within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; By the way you should throw up some pics in the classic section of that SS 496...

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

By the way you should throw up some pics in the classic section of that SS 496

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Yes , I will do that if I can figure out how to. Ran the piss out of the Camaro today. First 2 WOT runs -- perfect. Then , it began the shut off or stumble , whatever you can call it. I even saw the ABS light flash on and Service Engine Soon light flash on during the stumble. Kept running the crap out of it and then it set the Service Soon light - stayed on for awhile then went out. By the way I did replace the gas filter and checked fuel pressure at idle - 58lbs-- going to take to G Force Racing in Pearland , Texas to let the pros figure this one out as I am tired of screwing with it. Will post what we find-talk to yall in a couple of weeks.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

I bought the VSS from NAPA - where are the grounds I need to check for the transmission - I think you may be on to something

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Trans grounds through the engine block. What I do is take a multimeter and check the resistance from the trans case to the negative battery terminal. Some times those trans shops coat the trans cases up with paint and they don't ground good. I typically scrape the flange that mates to the engine block with a razor blade and sand paper before install. Check it with the multimeter and see if there is any resistance. If so a simple ground cable to the trans should fix it. Odd though that it doesn't do it all the time.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

All grounds are good trans zeros out- tired of making no head way. Taking to the Pros next week--thanks again for the suggestions. I will post their findings

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

So I was reading through the service manual tonite (yeah a lame way to spend a Friday night huh??). I may have misstated the M1 and M2 shifter positions and how they operate. In M1, 1-2 shift solenoid does indeed control whether the trans is in 1st or 2nd. Its there to protect you from slamming into first at anything above 30 to 35 mph. So technically the computer can command 2nd gear when in M1.
    In M2, the trans should go immediately into 2nd regardless of speed. Except from a stop, some vehicles in manual second gear will start out in first gear, while other vehicles will have a second gear start.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

So what I'm saying is, that with your mods, you may need some trans tune tweaking to get the trans to operate how you want it. The tuner should pay close attention to the shift MPH and shift RPM (making sure they match up appropriately) and the speedo calibration for your rear gear ratio and tire size

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Ok , so with the trans rebuild something has changed.From a dead start in manual 1 I stomp the pedal and bam -shifts to 2nd. As soon as i let up on the gas it downshifts back to 1st . If I put in drive and do the same 1st holds to 6,000.Now the speedometer is going crazy -I replaced the sensor-and the car is either cutting off or something at WOT -and speedometer is still going crazy- all this only at WOT. At part throttle ( normal cruise ) everthing works fine ,speedometer works fine. Only when I floor it does everything go haywire.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Hey Cutless , don't feel bad about your Friday night - I started my vacation today and look where I am at !!!!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Fix your speedometer problem and you'll probably find that your shift problem is fixed also.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

That's what I had hoped to do with the new sensor , but problem with speedometer got worse.This trans has a much deeper stock pan than the old one -maybe out of a truck. Is there any difference in the two trans ? I used the tail housing and sensor from the original trans.Is it possible the ring is not lining up with sensor ? Can I check this by removing the sensor and feeling for the ring ?All these problems only at WOT.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yes I would check that reluctor ring out.
    Also, are you using a matching deeper trans filter to match up with your deep pan? If not, that can cause some problems (although it shouldn't cause speedo issues.)

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Correct filter -I will go after the ring tomorrow. Also thinking about installing aTransgo 4l60e reprograming kit so first will hold. Not sure as to what the builder did but this kit should fix that problem.I have a feeling his shift kits are home made as when I installed the valve body the plate he sent with it was old.I also think he left out a spring or two in the accumulator which would explain for very hard part throttle shift. I should be able to remove the tailshaft and check for proper alignment.Will let you know what I find. Thanks again.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

I checked the ring on the shaft -all tight and lined up with sensor.Spoke with some one from Transgo-he also tells me these transmissions can't hold manual 1 till rev limiter -what gives as I drive 3 different GMC trucks daily and all hold while in manual 1.This Camaro with factory trans always held as did my other 2 Camaros. Anyway , have the valve body back out and I think the next step is ohming VSS wires back to computor.But this is going to be hard as speedo only acts up @ WOT.Do you know which wires @ computor are VSS ? And nesaid to check shift solenoid A & B wires as if I loose voltage or ground while in manual 1 the trans is going to shift.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

VSS is terminals 20 and 21 on the red PCM connector

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

THANKS -that will get me started.I ordered a Transgo reprograming kit and manual from Summit-having it overnighted -so I will have something do on vacation. Hopefully I can trace the source of the VSS problem and when I put the valve body back in it will work. If not then it's off to GForce Racing in Houston.Thanks again for staying the coarse with me. Not even the trans builder will return my calls anymore.Give you update when I get back together in a day or so.Maybe somehow when this is all over I can figure out a way to buy you a cold beer !!

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

I would tap into the power wire on the trans plug and send it to an LED or light and make sure your not loosing power to the transmission and causing this. Make sure the trans harness isn't getting pinched by the engine or something odd.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Ok - I am going to go over everthing again. Since this is only at WOT, I better see if the motor mounts are good also ,could be broke and letting engine torque over and pinch something. Electrical problems always has been my nightmare -I guess because they are so hard to find sometimes.Maybe it's the Chevelle putting the evil eye on the Camaro !!!!!lol Thanks for all you guys and gals help -report back later

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Transmission is fixed!!!

Just got back from running the heck out of the Camaro -everything worked perfect ! I installed a Transgo 4l60e -2HD reprograming kit and took out whatever the builder had done. Replaced all the springs he had left out. Car shifts perfect !! Holds first till I decide to shift - just like it is supposed to.This is THE KIT for these transmissions-no more slamming into gear-just good crisp shifts. Nice to hear the tires chirpping at 6500 ! Speedometer working fine , no more engine stumble.Thanks everyone for all the advice you gave me -kept me digging till the end !!!

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

So the shift kit fxed the speedo problem?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information