need some input on converter

This is a discussion on need some input on converter within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; well guys after searching around for a while i made up my mind and went with a 3600 stall, b&m ...

pewter
    2001 camaro z28

need some input on converter

well guys after searching around for a while i made up my mind and went with a 3600 stall, b&m tranny cooler 29,000...my car is a 2001 camaro A4. it has Lt headers and its been tuned before. car has 80k on it stock tranny and rear..it does not see the track, just a street car. not my dd either.

now im kinda hesistating on actually putting the converter in with that many miles .. i dont have the funds to rebuilt it either.(im now saving to get the tc installed). i know no one knows for sure wether the tranny will last or not. do you guys think i should go ahead and get it installed?? im also running nitto 555rs....

also is a tune necessary after the tc goes in?? what all do they tune for ?? shift points , torque managment, lock up speed...what do you guys recomend to set me shift points to and lock up speed for my application????

do you guys suggest for me to wait itll i have the money to tune it aswell before i install it?? i was also plannning on doing a cam but again i would need to wait a while to save up for it... i would hate to pay 2 times for a tune...

any good wrtie ups for the tranny cooler install???

thanks for any help..

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

You don't NEED a tune for a torque converter. Sure there are a few things that can be tweaked but the car should be ok without it. Who tuned it before? Maybe they'll do a few touch ups to it for cheaper than a full tune.

orange
    2002 Z28

Make sure you get the tranny rebuilt and good tranny cooler is a plus. if you decide on putting that converter in. The reason is the bands are weak in the 4L60E trannys thats what you have, so wait until you have the money to buy a rebuild kit. its about $200 on ebay and I highly recommend it with a stall converter that size. It will give you peace of mind if you do it right trust me. I have a 2002 Z28 with 100k on it and ive did alot of research on it. Ive got a vigilante 3200-3500 stall with a heavy duty rebuild kit installed and works great also its my daily driver....GOOD LUCK Wheres your location????

pewter
    2001 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by mack42104 View Post
    Make sure you get the tranny rebuilt and good tranny cooler is a plus. if you decide on putting that converter in. The reason is the bands are weak in the 4L60E trannys thats what you have, so wait until you have the money to buy a rebuild kit. its about $200 on ebay and I highly recommend it with a stall converter that size. It will give you peace of mind if you do it right trust me. I have a 2002 Z28 with 100k on it and ive did alot of research on it. Ive got a vigilante 3200-3500 stall with a heavy duty rebuild kit installed and works great also its my daily driver....GOOD LUCK Wheres your location????
    can post or pm me the link?? im in tx?? do you know how much they charge to do the rebuilt kit?? imlooking at $300 for my tc installed so i need to know how much i need to save up.....

pewter
    2001 camaro z28

any more input??? 23 views and only 2 replies....

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i would say...be ready to rebuild it..as mack said..the bands are weak..but the biggest concern with the 4l60Es ..is the heat damage caused by the sunshell ..the fluid passages are too narrow and causes excess heat..this is in a stock app...when you add a torque converter ..it will add to the heat..cooler or not...so i would say be ready for a rebuild..as more likely than not ..you will be on borrowed time. imho

orange
    2002 Z28

If you have converter allready you will need about another 1500.00 to get it done. If your not removing and reinstalling tranny your self.Plus getting tranny rebuilt. If you sent your tranny to me I could get my guy to rebuild it and save you about 600.00 dollars. call me and well talk about it ***phone number removed*** im Richard
    Last edited by 0rion; 03-19-2010 at 03:40 PM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

you may not want to get your phone number on the site..id suggest you email him your phone

pewter
    2001 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by mack42104 View Post
    If you have converter allready you will need about another 1500.00 to get it done. If your not removing and reinstalling tranny your self.Plus getting tranny rebuilt. If you sent your tranny to me I could get my guy to rebuild it and save you about 600.00 dollars. call me and well talk about it ***phone number removed*** im Richard
    i would hate to send it off... i found agood shop about an 1hr away.. thay have a stage 2 for about 1,600.00 rated at 500 hp...which is really what im looking for this car(400-450 hp)

now those everyone who gets a new tranny for security... do they get them rebuilt or just go wiht a diff. tranny

ive read post about not rebuilding the stock one...

any input???

98 Formula
    06 duramax

throw the stall in it and call it a day. I had 70k+ on mine when I did my stall and I've beat the shit out of my car for the last 20k on the stock tranny. If it's gonna break it's gonna break stall or not.
    Also plan on a tune with the stall. They're hit or miss but mostly hit as far as needing the tune. You'll most likely bang the limiter on shifts, might set off p0300 dtc's, and might need your idle bumped. On just the stall I didn't really need to adjust my lockup mph until I did the cam but you will want to up the line pressures most likely to firm the shifts up, not to mention removing torque management and what not. How far off are you from getting the cam? If it's relatively soon just wait and do it at the same time. If not check with your local tuners....most will heavily discount the second tune if done within a certain timeframe.

pewter
    2001 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    throw the stall in it and call it a day. I had 70k+ on mine when I did my stall and I've beat the shit out of my car for the last 20k on the stock tranny. If it's gonna break it's gonna break stall or not.
    Also plan on a tune with the stall. They're hit or miss but mostly hit as far as needing the tune. You'll most likely bang the limiter on shifts, might set off p0300 dtc's, and might need your idle bumped. On just the stall I didn't really need to adjust my lockup mph until I did the cam but you will want to up the line pressures most likely to firm the shifts up, not to mention removing torque management and what not. How far off are you from getting the cam? If it's relatively soon just wait and do it at the same time. If not check with your local tuners....most will heavily discount the second tune if done within a certain timeframe.
    i was tghinking by the end of the yr maybe ..but if i get e built tranny it will have to be longer.... i m hesitating on putting the stall in because i would hate to spend an extra $700 if the tranny blows and takes the converter with it....wich would mean rebuil tranny and new tc...........

White
    1998 Trans Am

My friend has a car with over 100k with factory trans and 3800 stall. He has heads and a cam and runs drag radials at the track. I'm having my friend who owns VettTech in Katy install my 3200 and retune the tranny for it and I have 75k on my car and beat on it all the time, so far I have just broke the factory 3.23's and had to rebuild the rear a d I had 3.73's put in and so far no problem yet.
    I know he did a Z28 and had to tune it for the 3600 or 3800 stall that was put in that car.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I agree a 4l60E can handle a 3500/3600 stall all day long. Just install it (+ trans cooler) and have fun driving it nothing else needs to be done. Drove mine 3 years no issues with a 3500. Tranny went because my rear went out. But that was after cam,4000 stalll,3.73's and aftermarket TA. The TA is what broke the rear IMO. Anyway back on topic. A 3500/3600 stall will survive fine with a cooler added. No tune needed just drive and enjoy. It will take a week or so to get use to the stall. Once your use to it you will swear it should have come that way from GM.

Thread Information