artic white/black stripes
    97 TA

need a little more help

so ever since i bought my TA from this guy i have been doing little fixes here and there since the only thing he upkept was the engine...

anyways im almost done now just need to do a brake flush and get new rear brake calibers since they are completely destroyed but there is one other problem that im not sure what it is

its really hard to turn my bird kind of like its fighting back then gives in and when i do turn it, it makes a really loud whining sort of groning noise...

i thought it might have something to do with my axel or rods and pinions but then again im not sure im not very good at this yet

any help would be appreciated and thanks for all the help you guys have given me already you guys are great

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

add power steering fluid =)

97 TA

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    add power steering fluid =)
    did that a little while ago probably about a month or maybe two would it drain out that quickly?

97 TA

by the way once i get her all fixed up going to be coming to you for some of those awesome emblems you make

Black
    1999 Trans am

Look under the car, you have a broken boot on the rack and pinion and the seal is gone. I'll bet you will see fluid under the car that has blown all over the bottom drivers side. should not have any oil residue down there.
    Or one of you hoses to the pump is leaking. Just had the same problem this week.

Third shift, if you have to add fluid you should still fix the leak.
    Last edited by cam man; 05-08-2009 at 05:14 AM.

Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Pewter
    '00 TransAm WS/6

My friend had the same problem on her [00 Camaro SS.

She had gone out to a birthday party in the woods. Now by woods, I'm not just suggesting paved roads with some trees. You turn off the highway, and drive 20 miles on dirt trails.

I used to drive the general area in my '79 Firebird when I was a kid, so I told her that they were navigable, but not great.

When she got home, she told me that she hit something underneath the car and a few days later it was making the power steering whine. She asked "what is it?" So, I started rattling off all the parts that could have been screwed up. Most likely a crack in the rack and pinion, a broken hydraulic line, or a connection came loose. I told her to keep filling the reservoir until I had a chance to come over.

When I got there, I ran the car up on ramps, and started looking for an impact mark. It could have been wood or limestone, so it should have left something. There were absolutely no marks. There was no leak from the rack. There were no leaks from the lower part of the hoses, but there was fluid coming from somewhere mysteriously higher, only when pressure to the steering wheel was applied.

I had to pull the air box to get a good look at the hoses. I had her boyfriend give pressure to the wheel while I looked. It finally built up enough pressure, and blasted me in the face with power steering fluid. It's a good thing I wear glasses. There was a pinhole leak in one of the lines.

The line was about $30 from NAPA, and it only took me a few minutes to swap. The hardest part was finding it. I got the GM part number, and started calling all the local stores. No one stocked it, but they could order it. The NAPA warehouse had only one, so they held it for me while I drove an hour to pick it up.

If your fluid disappears, you have a leak somewhere. Chase it down. It's going somewhere. This system has pressure, so you're not going to do a band-aid patch. Replace the leaking part, and you'll be fine.

She did complain that the power steering pump is making noise still. Really, it's just that she's noticing it now, because she knows what to look for. I had her take my '00 TransAm out, so she could hear how it sounds. My pump is slightly louder, but perfectly normal. Oddly enough, those mechanical parts make noise.

Thread Information