need education on stalls ASAP

This is a discussion on need education on stalls ASAP within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; So it seems like everyone is telling me that i need a higher stall whether i go with H/C/I or ...

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

need education on stalls ASAP

So it seems like everyone is telling me that i need a higher stall whether i go with H/C/I or a supercharger. Why would i need a higher stall with a supercharger? i dont want to lose any of my low end driveability and i dont want to launch my car across every intersection i come to.(no matter how fun it might be) What is a stock stall at rpm wise because i believe i am confused. Shouldnt it be low, like just over 1200 rpms or something? It just seems kind of pointless to me to install a higher converter when im not racing the car at the track every week. But then again i dont know anything about converters so please......educate me

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

a higher stall will get you off the line quicker and put/keep you in your power band if my reading has done me right?(not positive on that) but why put a charger on or H/C/I if your not going to be racing it? just curious

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Word to the wise: Don't daily drive your race car and don't race your daily driver...

That being said these cars utlize a "lock up" style torque converter. When you're in OD and you hit a given speed (as preprogrammed into the PCM) you'll feel the TC "lock Up" (feels like another shift) and the rpm's will drop and it'll act just like a regular TC until up hit the loud pedal.

My 02 goes up around 2500-3000 during normal driving, shifts to 2nd, 3rd then OD (all the while basically at 2500-3000rpm) and then, at ~40mph the TC hits lock up and the rpms go back to normal. See sig for mods...

You want to have a stall that is right at or just above where your combo starts making torque. My engine is stock other than exhaust and I have a 3400 stall. I could DD it if I wished but I bought another car for that as I want to keep the miles low for racing...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

because im 26 yrs old and have always wanted a ws6 since i was like 16. Ive had it for 2 yrs now and i love it. Ive also also wanted to put a SC or a turbo on a v-8 just to show all the ricers out there that mod for mod, u cant beat american muscle. And i know i said i dont race but i go to the track once maybe twice a year,getting off the line isnt my concern because it seems like launching my car at 4000 rpms would break something.its when im going 40 or 50 that i really want to accelerate. And i dont want to have to run 4.56 gears to do that.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Also, you don't just put a stall into one of these tranny's. It's not like the old days (trust me I'm from the old days).

At the minimum you'll need a tranny cooler, probably internal upgrades (some of the factory parts are marginal at best), a good shift kit, a competent tuner to delete torque management from the pcm and reprogram everything so it'll work properly.

<---- Like I said, I'm from the old days...

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

thats not a problem i planned on getting a stage 2 performabuilt and a moser 12 bolt before the SC thats why im asking the questions. So im not too worried about the internal stuff

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Like post #2 stated: A higher stall will get you off of the line quicker.

Read my sig: With the 3400 stall, suspension work and sticky tires I cut a 1.73 60', even though my engine is internally and externally (except for exhaust) stock. Just the TC alone shaved ~.5 seconds off of my 1/4 mile time.

Truth be told, 1st thing you want to do is put on a good set of sub-frame connectors. F-bodies have been a "twist-o-flex" design since day 1.

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

ive already got umi subframes,lower control arms,dbl adj panhard bar,strut tower brace. and koni 4/4 with strano lowering springs

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the best suggestion I could make is to find someone local that already has a stall and ask for a ride in their car. Most people probably wouldn't hesitate to take you for a spin. I think most people just have a wrong understanding of how a stall actually feels in a car. It's dollar for dollar the best mod you can do to an auto. That being said you should match the stall up for your mods so if I were you I would decide on a path for the car then buy a stall that fits. Forced induction is going to like a much tighter stall than a heads/cam set up.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the best suggestion I could make is to find someone local that already has a stall and ask for a ride in their car. Most people probably wouldn't hesitate to take you for a spin. I think most people just have a wrong understanding of how a stall actually feels in a car. It's dollar for dollar the best mod you can do to an auto. That being said you should match the stall up for your mods so if I were you I would decide on a path for the car then buy a stall that fits. Forced induction is going to like a much tighter stall than a heads/cam set up.
    x2. for h/c/i you are in the range of 3600-4k for a F/I app you need a different stall..one that is a little more beefy and also with a lower rating in the 3000-3400.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you should match the stall up for your mods so if I were you I would decide on a path for the car then buy a stall that fits. Forced induction is going to like a much tighter stall than a heads/cam set up.

This is right on the money. With forced induction, you more than likely won't be able to buy an "off the shelf" stall. I never do that anyway,,,but with a power adder it becomes even more involved in torque converter selection such as balloon plates etc.....
    You'll need to decide on a path for the car, and stick with it. A converter for a power adder car will drive tight in an N/A setup and vise versa. Mix matching the two don't work well together.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    This is right on the money. With forced induction, you more than likely won't be able to buy an "off the shelf" stall. I never do that anyway,,,but with a power adder it becomes even more involved in torque converter selection such as balloon plates etc.....
    You'll need to decide on a path for the car, and stick with it. A converter for a power adder car will drive tight in an N/A setup and vise versa. Mix matching the two don't work well together.
    x2. FI is a much more complicated subject than N/A. A lot of timing and tuning has to be done to ensure the boost kicks in at the right time and everything works like its supposed to. If I were you I would concentrate on my engine first. It will be a lot cheaper to swap out a stall than it is to a motor/procharger.
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

Thread Information