Black
    1999 Z28

Unhappy Need advice - A4

Okay - so on the way to work today, my car starts just revving ridiculously high - I tapped the throttle and it seemed to kick in and I finished my trip to work w/ no problems (~25 miles total one way) It was a chilly morning, so I attributed it to that (a wish I guess) So, I left work in a hurry today - had an appt. I couldn't miss and didn't have time to look at the tranny or anything. Got 1/4 way home and it did the same thing, although this time it was WAY worse - it wouldn't recover. It would only work in 2nd gear. I kind of nursed it home,all the while apparently destroying it. I added 1 qt of transmission fluid to get the level just right. I'm guessing I'm screwed, since this did absolutely nothing to improve drivability.

So, any suggestions? I'd love to have an M6, but I don't have $3500, or whatever it costs to swap..but at the same time, if I'm going to have to spend almost that much to get decent auto w/ a torque convertor, should I do it anyway?? Looking for advice, ideas on keeping the cost down, vendors you could suggest, etc...anything at all would help. New or used??

Car has 165k miles on it w/ motor rebuilt at 100k so it is not a real long term car, although I plan to replace the engine too at some point since I like the car itself quite a bit. (I sold my 69 at 18 cuz I needed the $ - I will probably never sell another camaro again, so this car is stuck w/ me)

The only bright spot in all of this is I've been wanting to change my engine oil pan gasket -- major leak, so this will encourage me to get this done and probably save me paying a mechanic since I will have it all tore down.

I will do all the work myself too, so if having special tools is an issue w/ any suggestions, let me know -- I have access to quite a few things, but not all.

Take care and thanks ahead of time!!
    Jay

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

you can get a rebuild at a decent price..you can save money by removing the trans yourself...theres a place near me that rebuilds the 4l60 for around $600 in stock form, so shop around and maybe you can get lucky...or check with with some our sponsors ,rossler performance transmissions and performabuilt....a decent converter will probly run you anywhere from $200-$400 i believe...i wouldnt tackle the tom foolery of a m6 in an auto car.... but thats out of my own personal fear of the task...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Like Jive said, if you have the tools and know-how, you can pick up replacement parts relatively easily and inexpensive. Labor is what kills as an automatic has a lot more going on internally than a manual.

I would stick with the A4 and get a TC. M6's are nice....until you go to the track

Black
    1999 Z28

Thanks for the advice guys - sounds like the M6 swap would be kind of silly - I'll stick w/ the auto and try to find someone to rebuild it - or at least help. I've not done a tranny rebuild, but have rebuilt several engines and am pretty mechanically savvy I guess. We'll see what happens. I definitely plan to get a TC put in while all this is going on though.

Take care!
    J

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

you also have to ask yourself though..what exactly is a transmission rebuild?are they going to replace just parts that are designed to wear?are they going to replace pump bushings?(most do not) just clutches?what if your drums are worn?they will have to replace those in order for the tranny to last.(most places do not include that in a "rebuild".just throwing that out there because im haveing my tranny gone through right now and ive learned a plethora of information in the last few days.best thing to do is to stand right next to the builder while hes tearing it down(should take an experienced builder just a few minutes to tear down)that way you know exactly what parts are bad and which ones need replacing.

Thread Information