Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Is my trans going out??

This is a discussion on Is my trans going out?? within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; I might just send it back to performabuilt.....

99 Z28 04 Corvette

I might just send it back to performabuilt..

99 Z28 04 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    Clear the code and have it scanned again and have someone check the line pressure to see what pressure you've got. If it slips your not getting enough apply pressure. Clutch packs don't wear out that fast and neither do bands. I beat the shit out of a set for 6 months and the guy I had go through mine said they looked good enough to use again.
    I had a preformance trans place have me chase electrical crap for 6 months untill I just finally broke the trans and turns out I broke a beast sun shell that had a manufacturing defect in it and cause all these odd problems for 6 months.
    You were having issues similar to mine?? I don't even drive the car anymore.. there is a noise coming from the transmission no matter what gear I have it in it sounds horrible.. even if its idling in park it sounds like shit. Not sure what exactly is broken but at this point I'm thinking its toast. $950 to have performabuilt rebuilt it and $400 for the shop to take it out and reinstall.. not sure if it's even worth it. I'm looking at about $1500 to get it fixed when I only got 20,000 miles out of it to begin with..

RED
    2002 FORMULA

Bossman if your in park and it sounds like shit you have big problems. I have had trans problems before, but never sitting still in park. Good luck.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

If you have a garage and some basic tools you can take it out and put it back in. All you need for the bell housing bolts is a couple of long extentions. Sounds like something ended up in the Torque converter.
    I have looked and even getting a used trans out of a junk yard is 900 bucks here in FL so take it out and send it back to them and give it another shot. I have had extreamly bad luck with parts breaking that shouldn't break not just on the car but in everything I do and it sucks man, I know how you feel. I didn't get even a week out of the first trans and then they had me running around looking for problems that weren't there. I changed wire harnesses, computers, check PCM programming and all along it was the sun shell. I pulled that trans 3 times and told them to figure it out and the asses never opened it up they just put it in a test car and ran a manual controller on it and everytime it worked fine for them. In total I have spent 1600 on the trans, 300 on fluid and 2 filters, gaskets time, it's just unreal but thats were the quallity is in this country right now. It's probably nothing that preformabuilt did wrong but a bad part that was made in some third world country and this is the result. It sucks and I hate to see it for ya but 900 beter than a whole new 1700. did they say weather they would include a new converter in that price?

99 Z28 04 Corvette

Havent found out about the converter yet.. but I hope that's included. I'd imagine it's toast as well.

white
    01 formula

the converter is the only thing that can really make a noise is park so if i were you ,when you do get it out take and hole it over a bucket and see what falls out im betting little pieces of converter fins. and if thats the case then all that metal is stuck in your clutches ,seals ,and just waiting to grind the hell out of the planetary gears ohhh the destruction it can cause ,i hope your not in that kinda shape good luck

99 Z28 04 Corvette

I took it into the shop n they said reverse went out while it was there.. so they went ahead and pulled it.. I'm sending it back to performabuilt.. they told me the converter isnt included in the restore..

blue
    2000ss

The Converter is not included in the 950 however is cheap when done with the trans relativley anyway at 150 . The root of the issue was probably the presure control solenoid which resulted in clutch failure. This can happen really quickly when driving really only a matter of a few miles can do considerable damage.
    FREE COOLER/SHIPING, NO CORE OR CHARGE,2YR WARRANTY, CUST TRACK VIDEOS click banner 4 website, CALL or text 570-578-5686 7 days a week 9 am till 10 pm.

99 Z28 04 Corvette

So can I just send the converter with it and have it done also?? sounds better than having everything reinstalled just to find the converter is bad also..

blue
    2000ss

As long as its one of our converter yes you can,
    Thanks

99 Z28 04 Corvette

Yea it's one of your's. 3400

blue
    2000ss

Then yep no problem just give a call and set it up when you are ready

IBM
    04 GTO

Can you say junk i went threw 2 of their trannys in my 94 z28 and will never buy or tell someone to buy from them their trannys are plain juuuunnnnnkkkk!!!!!!!!!!

99 Z28 04 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by derbs View Post
    Can you say junk i went threw 2 of their trannys in my 94 z28 and will never buy or tell someone to buy from them their trannys are plain juuuunnnnnkkkk!!!!!!!!!!
    Atleast I had better luck than you, I got about 20,000 miles on mine. haha. Remember when we had to drive your car to your house in reverse when that transmission took a shit with like 50 miles on it?? nice picture btw

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Question

Quote Originally Posted by derbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986camarojoe View Post
    Atleast I had better luck than you, I got about 20,000 miles on mine. haha. Remember when we had to drive your car to your house in reverse when that transmission took a shit with like 50 miles on it?? nice picture btw
    Tranny built by whom??

99 Z28 04 Corvette

performabuilt

White
    2008 Hummer H3

performabuilt
    gotcha, sorry to hear that man..

99 Z28 04 Corvette

Its alright, they replaced it for like half price but still, ive got about $3500 wrapped up in a transmission now. One thats advertised to handle 700+ horsepower and my camaro might have 350..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Its alright, they replaced it for like half price but still, ive got about $3500 wrapped up in a transmission now. One thats advertised to handle 700+ horsepower and my camaro might have 350..
    ouch!

99 Z28 04 Corvette

Ouch is right. and thats just the transmission. Paid the shop $400 to remove and re install it..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information