Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    1999 PONTIAC TRANS AM

Unhappy My new 99 trans am transmission problem..

Hi, Im a newbie to the Trans Am family and this site.. Happy to be here.. I been reading post off off here since before i ever bought a Fbody... I bought a beautiful blk 1999 a4 TA with 73k miles on it a few months ago.. It now has 79k & and my transmission started acting up a month ago.. 1st i noticed that it draged through the gears at full trottle.. Next it started slipping sometimes when if floored it,.. Now it drags through 1st and slips if i accelerate to hard in 2nd 3rd and 4th... Ive gone to three shops for estimmates.. The first didnt even look at the car and just told me tranny needs to be rebuilt $1,800 or replaced with used 1,400.. The next shop was Ammco the retards that work there gave me false hope.. Amcoo told me my fluid was just extremely low.. Amcoo said if they take the tranny fluid pan off and theres no metal flakes my car just needs a tranny service.. There was now metal in the pan so i had them do the service... The car ran somewhat better, but still like crap.. They said i will started to run better on its own and to put a tranny additive in... The opposite happens, It got worse.. I took it to the third shop and the said its slipping in 2nd 3rd ,4th.. And theyd have to rebuild it and it would be $2,300 to do it in a worse case senario, But could be less.. They said they could upgrade it also.. I already figured Since it has to come apart i might as well upgrade.. i read i could upgrade to 4l65e.. The shop guy recomened a torqe converter.. and or a stall??? Any info would be greatly appreciated.. on prices.. what may be wrong with my F'ed up tranny.. upgrade options.. Anything! Getting my bird flying again is my main priority.. Thanks

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

yes you'll need a rebuild without a doubt.

dont worry about upgrading to a 4l65e, just a stall(same thing as a torque converter lol) would be great, you'll be amazed at the difference in acceleration. you have a base T/A?(not ws6?) better throw on some 275+ sized tires to make up for the lousy stock 245's like i have i also suggest sub-frame connectors to anyone as thier very first mod. but i digress..

as far as stall sizes, go up one from the one you think you want,
    (ie: you think you want a 3600 stall? get a 3800. 3800? get a 4000 etc.)
    Last edited by justinmc978; 04-12-2010 at 09:20 PM.

sunset orange/ black
    two 2001 ws6 m6

i replaced 2 transmissions 1 in my 02 ws6 and 1 in my 99 ws6 ( may she rest in pieces ).i purchased both of them from advance auto parts,my son works there.my cost was around $ 1100.00 each.yours would be around $ 1300.00.they usually use reputable rebuilders.and for that price my trannys were built heavy duty with vette servos,hardened shield,upgraded valve body ect ect and also comes with a new converter and a 3 year warranty.so b4 you pay anyone $ 2300 dollars check around.the first one i did on the ground in my garage ( nightmare ) 2nd one i used my buddys lift.

Sunset Orange
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

4l80E 6 speed automatic, or if ure feelin like working T-56 ^.^

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

Check fluid levels to avoid this mess all together.

1999 WS6(sold) 2003 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    yes you'll need a rebuild without a doubt.

dont worry about upgrading to a 4l65e, just a stall(same thing as a torque converter lol) would be great, you'll be amazed at the difference in acceleration. you have a base T/A?(not ws6?) better throw on some 275+ sized tires to make up for the lousy stock 245's like i have i also suggest sub-frame connectors to anyone as thier very first mod. but i digress..

as far as stall sizes, go up one from the one you think you want,
    (ie: you think you want a 3600 stall? get a 3800. 3800? get a 4000 etc.)
    I agree with him.

black
    1999 PONTIAC TRANS AM

Thanks for your knowledge guys!

black
    1999 PONTIAC TRANS AM

Thanx Nate.. My TA is a base one.. Im going to add bolt ons so i want the tranny to be able to handle it.. I plan to address the tires and wheels also... But id like to get a little more info on the stalls, and how do i know what sized stall is best for my car??.. And as much as ive learned thus far i have to find out what sub frame connectors are now...

black
    1999 PONTIAC TRANS AM

Wow thats a way better price than what i was given... Your warranty is even a year longer than the shop i got my estimate from.. I will def shop around more.. but did they give you a set price up front??.. This shop wants $400 as dyognostic fee thatll go towards the repuild price... So they say they cant tell me how much they will charge me untill they take it apart... vette servos,hardened shield,upgraded valve body? ill have to look into this stuff also... Thanks ws6s

black
    1999 PONTIAC TRANS AM

I read a little about the 4l80e... I asked the guy at the shop about that also.. He told me i wouldnt really need it unless i was towing... but it sounded good to me when i looked into it.. especially the 6 speed auto...

1998 Trans Am

never seen/heard of a six speed auto swap into a fourth gen F-body, the gains will not be worth the money you spend IMO.

4l80e is still a four speed auto. the 4 stands for 4 speed. the 60/65/80 stands for the amount of power it rated for. e stands for electronic.

you wont need greater than 65 unless your going for a 9-10 second drag car.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

never seen/heard of a six speed auto swap into a fourth gen F-body, the gains will not be worth the money you spend IMO.

4l80e is still a four speed auto. the 4 stands for 4 speed. the 60/65/80 stands for the amount of power it rated for. e stands for electronic.

you wont need greater than 65 unless your going for a 9-10 second drag car.
    wrong ..65s are barely any better...definitely not 9-10 second transmissions.

there isnt really a clear cut answer...and answer range between the 60etc meaning torque and is rated in newton metre and others, (most i found) say it has to do with gross vehicle weight .....so 60 = 6000 gvw ..so 4 gear, longitudinal 6000 gvw , electronically shifted

98' trans am

the fact of the matter is OP that it would be beneficial for you to get your trans beefed up. I personally will ship my transmission off to finish line transmission "flt" when that time comes. it will be around 2k ..but i know of a few people running solid low ETs with only a stage II from them.

the 4l65e is stock form is ehh... if you really want to do that route then go ahead and get that built too.

the 4l80e built is by far the strongest and very importantly ..the gear spread on 1-2 is much better than the 4l6x line ..

so if you are going to be doing drag racing a lot and pushing serious power...the 4l80e is your trans..that or a th700. (note for the 4l80e to fit..there is extensive tunnel modification needed.)

so for you i would call up flt and get a built 4l60e and slap in a yank torque converter or a circle d torque converter and call it a day

1998 Trans Am

i said greater than 65, not 65

98' trans am

i said greater than 65, not 65
    my apologizes...

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by BOOUNIQUE View Post
    Hi, Im a newbie to the Trans Am family and this site.. Happy to be here.. I been reading post off off here since before i ever bought a Fbody... I bought a beautiful blk 1999 a4 TA with 73k miles on it a few months ago.. It now has 79k & and my transmission started acting up a month ago.. 1st i noticed that it draged through the gears at full trottle.. Next it started slipping sometimes when if floored it,.. Now it drags through 1st and slips if i accelerate to hard in 2nd 3rd and 4th... Ive gone to three shops for estimmates.. The first didnt even look at the car and just told me tranny needs to be rebuilt $1,800 or replaced with used 1,400.. The next shop was Ammco the retards that work there gave me false hope.. Amcoo told me my fluid was just extremely low.. Amcoo said if they take the tranny fluid pan off and theres no metal flakes my car just needs a tranny service.. There was now metal in the pan so i had them do the service... The car ran somewhat better, but still like crap.. They said i will started to run better on its own and to put a tranny additive in... The opposite happens, It got worse.. I took it to the third shop and the said its slipping in 2nd 3rd ,4th.. And theyd have to rebuild it and it would be $2,300 to do it in a worse case senario, But could be less.. They said they could upgrade it also.. I already figured Since it has to come apart i might as well upgrade.. i read i could upgrade to 4l65e.. The shop guy recomened a torqe converter.. and or a stall??? Any info would be greatly appreciated.. on prices.. what may be wrong with my F'ed up tranny.. upgrade options.. Anything! Getting my bird flying again is my main priority.. Thanks
    I sent you an email with some advice.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    I sent you an email with some advice.
    cant share it with the people?

98' trans am

cant share it with the people?
    More than likely, a non sponser link...he is following the rules

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue