is mercon 3 good enough or should I use the newer

This is a discussion on is mercon 3 good enough or should I use the newer within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; it's been about 3.5 years and 30K miles since I changed the trans. fluid acutally 3.5 years since it was ...

silver
    99 ws6

is mercon 3 good enough or should I use the newer

it's been about 3.5 years and 30K miles since I changed the trans. fluid acutally 3.5 years since it was rebuilt fluid isn't smelly or burnt looks nice an red also I have have not neede to add any fluid during this 3.5 years

here's a couple of ?s can be answered true or false or better sentence explaination.

1.time ___ or mileage____ determines fluid change or both____?

2.is mercon 3 good enought for a daily driver___ or is the newer mercon 6 recommended___?

3.will fluid drain out of the coolers since they are higher than the drain plug____? (note) I have 2 coolers and am not using the rad. cooler

4.This may sound like a stupid ? after I installed my TCI deep pan I got confussed on reading the dipstick.

5.How long do'es the dipstick have to be left in to get a correct reading.

if I stick it in and pull it out imendiately I only see the low dot covered w/ fluid
    if I leave it in a little longer both dots will be covered.

I asked the man that manages a oil change place he told me that w/ the deeper pan fluid will splash up since the pump is pumping giving me incorrect readings.

Sorry to be so though.

Thanks for any helpfull advice from Trans. experts.

BTW all previous car have been manuels so I'm uncertain.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

You mean Dexron friend. Mercon is for a Chrysler. I use Dex VI in everything. Works fine.
    but lets look at your questions.
    1. 25K or 1 year.
    2. DexRon VI for high performance or DD.
    3. Yes
    4. Deep pan will not change the fluid level reading on your dipstick as it holds more fluid in the bottom and the level mark doesn't change.
    5. Long enough to get fluid on your dipstick. Engine running/fluid hot/in park.
    Man at oil change place is a tard.

silver
    99 ws6

dex

sorry I thought the dexron was the red coolant.

bought the car in 01 had 30K miles I changed all the fluids right after purchase.

I don't have a container of the castrol I used but I think I used mercon3.

1. 25K or 1 year. so I'm overdue on both mileage and time

I thought trans. fluid had no time limit like motor oil do'es.

2. DexRon VI for high performance or DD. OK #6 is recommended I've hear it cost 3 times as much as the #3 so is the #3 good enought?
    3. Yes OK
    4. Deep pan will not change the fluid level reading on your dipstick as it holds more fluid in the bottom and the level mark doesn't change.
    5. Long enough to get fluid on your dipstick. Engine running/fluid hot/in park.
    Man at oil change place is a tard.

I agree this man is Turd an X high preformance LSX man offering boguy advice.

I don't plan on dropping the pan and replacing the screen fliter because I have an extrenal oil fliter using as a 2nd trans. fliter is this recomended?

Lastly all fluid except the fluid inside the TC will be drained how much fluid is inside the TC and it it OK that the TC remaining fluid is mixed w/ new fluid?

Thanks Sarge for you're helpfull advice.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Red coolant is dexcool. They sound close but not.
    All fluids are blended so over time they will break down and when they do it is those few seconds that they are being reblended in the component that damage happens. That is only if it sits for that long but fluid is cheap and rebuilds are not so why not change them.
    There are several quarts in the TC and it is ok if you don't burn the fluid real bad before you change it. Shouldn't burn it at all but not a huge deal. Put an additional Trans Cooler on the car and it will help that trans live longer. Heat kills Auto's

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Mercon is Ford.
    Drop the pan, change the filter, and refill trans is sufficient. Another method is to disconnect the top cooler line, attach a long peice of hose to it, put the hose in a 5 gallon bucket, and start the car up. It'll pump more fluid out into the bucket then dropping the pan.

silver
    99 ws6

fluid

I have a TCI deep pan, external oil fliter, 2 trans. coolers 1 20K aluminum type, 24K B&M super cooler & trans. temp. guage.

even before the TCI pan I installed a drain plug in the stock pan was'nt planning on changing the Joke of a fliter (screen fliter under trans.) this is why I have the external oil fliter.

I invested in trans. stuff cause I was irratated when the planitary gear broke at 40K miles (thanks GM for building a stronge trans.)

Thanks Guys for advice

Thread Information