Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

manual valvebody

This is a discussion on manual valvebody within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; has anyone here tried a full manual shift valvebody on their 4160e? we already have the floor shifters with 1,2,3,D ...

  1. #1
    Member Siciliano15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NY/CT
    Age
    33
    Posts
    263

    Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

    manual valvebody

    has anyone here tried a full manual shift valvebody on their 4160e? we already have the floor shifters with 1,2,3,D so a full manual shift VB would probably be pretty cool to have.....

  2. #2
    Senior Member JaycenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Holiday,FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,378

    Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

    Not sure how it works but I would like to know as well.

  3. #3
    Member Siciliano15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NY/CT
    Age
    33
    Posts
    263

    Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

    basically the way it works is you have to manually shift the transmission and whatever gear the lever is in is the gear the trans is in. The valvebody adjusts other parameters so that the shifts are instant and not computer controlled. I tried it on my dakota r/t but the problem with that one was that the lever goes 1,2,D and OD had to be engaged with a seperate toggle switch. On our cars it has 1,2,3,D so the toggle switch wouldnt be needed. Just wanted to see if anyone has done it and whether it was worth it or not.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Zboner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cincinnati/northern ky
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,045

    Black
    99 SS

    my friend has done it to his formy

  5. #5
    Member Siciliano15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NY/CT
    Age
    33
    Posts
    263

    Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

    Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    my friend has done it to his formy
    how did it work out for him? any engine codes pop up or any other issues? where did he get the valvebody from?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Zboner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cincinnati/northern ky
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,045

    Black
    99 SS

    not really sure its cool though, there will be some tunning involved from what i remember.

  7. #7
    Junior Member jaydean21849's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    brownwood texas
    Posts
    72

    white
    1998 ta

    why would u need that

  8. #8
    Senior Member JaycenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Holiday,FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,378

    Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

    road racers that have auto cars use it untill they sell them for stick cars. If your at the quarter a lot then it helps there too. kind of a personal choice.

  9. #9
    Member Siciliano15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NY/CT
    Age
    33
    Posts
    263

    Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

    gives the driver more control. only shifts when u want it to shift so u can maximize shift points.

  10. #10
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    I ordered my shift kit from Trans-go, Hughes Perfarmance race overhaul kit (with Alto kevlar clutches and steels), Raptor input shaft kit (with Beast sun shell), upgraded spag and 7 pin planets behind a 3,800 TCI stall to give me a stage 4 tranny!
    I'll be modding it and slaming it all in this week!
    the Trans-go kit comes with the manual shift option (im doing it) and will let you know how it works.

    with the manual option you unplug the solinoids and add a spring so it will set codes (i have hptuners to turn the code off)

  11. #11
    Senior Member JaycenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Holiday,FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,378

    Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

    cool Yea I would love to know the actual real world pro's and cons.

  12. #12
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    cool Yea I would love to know the actual real world pro's and cons.
    I'll be the guinea pig lol

  13. #13
    Member Siciliano15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NY/CT
    Age
    33
    Posts
    263

    Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

    Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    I ordered my shift kit from Trans-go, Hughes Perfarmance race overhaul kit (with Alto kevlar clutches and steels), Raptor input shaft kit (with Beast sun shell), upgraded spag and 7 pin planets behind a 3,800 TCI stall to give me a stage 4 tranny!
    I'll be modding it and slaming it all in this week!
    the Trans-go kit comes with the manual shift option (im doing it) and will let you know how it works.

    with the manual option you unplug the solinoids and add a spring so it will set codes (i have hptuners to turn the code off)
    that all sounds about right. the spring ur adding is probably to stiffen the tension on the ball that holds the rooster (shift arm) in place so that you dont accidentally skip a gear when u shift it manually. ur gonna have some fun with that manual valvebody

  14. #14
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by Siciliano15 View Post
    that all sounds about right. the spring ur adding is probably to stiffen the tension on the ball that holds the rooster (shift arm) in place so that you dont accidentally skip a gear when u shift it manually. ur gonna have some fun with that manual valvebody
    that's one of my problems, I can take an auto apart, clean it, replace parts....but that's it, I still don't understand how an auto tranny works.
    I've been doing a lot of reading and hope to understand them and how the fluid flow works someday

  15. #15
    Member Siciliano15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NY/CT
    Age
    33
    Posts
    263

    Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

    Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    that's one of my problems, I can take an auto apart, clean it, replace parts....but that's it, I still don't understand how an auto tranny works.
    I've been doing a lot of reading and hope to understand them and how the fluid flow works someday
    i feel the same as you....

  16. #16
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    I also had an old B&M megashifter laying in the garage I'm going to mod and install for full ratchet shift

  17. #17
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    I drilled the 9 holes in the VB plate yesterday and starting on the VB teardown, clean and changing the parts out tomorrow after I get off work.

  18. #18
    LSX whore allbaugh_04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,895

    Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

    Auto transmission confuse the shit out of me, i just know the basics.

    My "trans go" lets me shift it manually if a choose to do so. I just leave it in drive most of the time. I hit the rev limiter once and i don't wanna break shit, so i am scared

  19. #19
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Auto transmission confuse the shit out of me, i just know the basics.

    My "trans go" lets me shift it manually if a choose to do so. I just leave it in drive most of the time. I hit the rev limiter once and i don't wanna break shit, so i am scared
    its only money lol

    I'm looking at the manual VB more for fun driving, will I take the car to the track....yes, but very rarely.
    with your shift kit do have complete up/downshift control, or say, if you drop it down into 1st will the computer still hold it in 2nd? I guess I'm asking, do you have complete control or does the computer still have the last say?

  20. #20
    LSX whore allbaugh_04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,895

    Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    its only money lol

    I'm looking at the manual VB more for fun driving, will I take the car to the track....yes, but very rarely.
    with your shift kit do have complete up/downshift control, or say, if you drop it down into 1st will the computer still hold it in 2nd? I guess I'm asking, do you have complete control or does the computer still have the last say?
    I put it in first, it goes in first..

    <---in control

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Need t56 Manual
    By SMWS6TA in forum General Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2014, 08:05 PM
  2. GTP is going manual
    By ls1camino in forum V6
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-24-2012, 06:30 PM
  3. Built 4l60E, manual valvebody, 10" cnv, B&M shifter
    By roadracetransam in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-27-2007, 09:33 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2007, 11:12 AM
  5. ATF in Manual......
    By Tyler_LS1 in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-15-2006, 01:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •