Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

manual to Automatic swap

This is a discussion on manual to Automatic swap within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Originally Posted by Rk ws6 Hey Rk ws6, did the stock DS fit in from your manual trans, or are ...

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Rk ws6 View Post
    Hey Rk ws6, did the stock DS fit in from your manual trans, or are they different in lengthl? Also can it drive with out the computer tuned or did you have to purchase the f bodies auto computer too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The sound of your piss hitting the urinal.......yea it sounds feminine!

Red
    2001 ws6

No this th350 has a short tailshaft which is 6inchs long with a reluctor wheel and sensor... youll need a custom length driveshaft spohn sells one for this swap which i currently am waiting on its the only piece i need to be done. since my car was a manual theres no tuning at all besides calibrating the speedo.

Red
    2001 ws6

stock driveshafts alittle over 2 inchs to short

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

No this th350 has a short tailshaft which is 6inchs long with a reluctor wheel and sensor... youll need a custom length driveshaft spohn sells one for this swap which i currently am waiting on its the only piece i need to be done. since my car was a manual theres no tuning at all besides calibrating the speedo.
    Thank you getting back so soon & plz excuse me for I am ill-educated on this subject, but if you don't need a tune for your trans then how does it know when to shift into following gear. Or am I missing something!? I'm just confused bc I hear ppl tlk about tuning their comp. for better shift points. Thats why I thought that there was a comp involved. So I guess that's why I don't understand why you don't need a tune.

Red
    2001 ws6

your putting a th350 trans in it isnt electronically controlled like the 4l60e is now if your currently a 4l60e and going th350 youll need to flash in a manual tune if your already manual youll need NO tune except to calibrate the speedo

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Eganslp View Post
    Thank you getting back so soon & plz excuse me for I am ill-educated on this subject, but if you don't need a tune for your trans then how does it know when to shift into following gear. Or am I missing something!? I'm just confused bc I hear ppl tlk about tuning their comp. for better shift points. Thats why I thought that there was a comp involved. So I guess that's why I don't understand why you don't need a tune.

The TH350 transmission is all internally, hydraulically controlled using fluid pressure, a governor, springs, valves, and a kickdown cable to do all the shifting. No electricity anywhere in this old school transmission.

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

@ Rk ws6- oh ok well thank you for the schooling and I definitely keep you posted if I happen to go that route also.

@Cutlass- could you tell me the difference between the TH350 and TH400. Do they keep going up like a...TH450 ect.? Are these the types of trannys the ones were you manually put it into 1/2/3/then your OD? Whats that called, Powerglide or something like that? b/c thats what I would love to do, but I don't think I have money like that tho!!! (lol) Can they all do it?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

You 3 main choices for old school transmissions are TH350, TH400, and the Powerglide. The TH350 and TH400 are 3 speeds (no overdrive). The Powerglide is a 2 speed. TH400 is stronger then TH350 and takes a tad more horsepower to spin (I believe). The Powerglide is nice for mid 10 sec and faster cars, thats where I usually see them.
    All of these trans can be to shift automatically or manually.

White
    2000 camaro

Want to trade

i want to swap from a manual 6speed to a 4l60e
    reason being my t56s been built already and i believe i twisted splines on the input shaft.
    i want to go automatic due to i run over 100+passes a year in it and im looking to be more consistant and have less driveline shock.

Im pretty sure i know just about what i need to convert over but anyone with any Good info about this id really appreicate Thanks
    Hey i have a 700r with a shift kit, has about 2000 miles on it and would like to trade the full set up for ur full straight shift set up, text me at 865 456 0709

White
    2000 camaro

I can give bootbif needed

notice the pictures...?
    Yeah it looks nice, text me if its possible

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Ls1 man View Post
    Yeah it looks nice, text me if its possible
    You need to start your own thread as dirrected by the moderator in your new members thread..

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

im wanting to do the exact opposite that you did rk. i love my a4 at the track but im only there 3-4 times a year and stick cars are way more fun to drive IMO. can anyone chime in on what i would need to make the swap and how difficult it will be???

BTW 700r4's suck ass IMO been through 3 of them in the past 2 years

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    You 3 main choices for old school transmissions are TH350, TH400, and the Powerglide. The TH350 and TH400 are 3 speeds (no overdrive). The Powerglide is a 2 speed. TH400 is stronger then TH350 and takes a tad more horsepower to spin (I believe). The Powerglide is nice for mid 10 sec and faster cars, thats where I usually see them.
    All of these trans can be to shift automatically or manually.
    Thank you Cutlass, I only ask bc of the simple fact that if someone asks me I'd like to not make up my own B.S. about it. thanks again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information