Thread: LS1 to a 4T80E?

Alculpolco Blue
    1964 Oldsmobile Starfire

LS1 to a 4T80E?

Anyone have ideas whether the body of the trans would be too big to fit against the LS1? I know there's a 5.3L model but I really need more HP and there's more support for the LS1. It's looks like I might have to make a custom header for the right side of the motor which is fine.

Factory ECU's.........is the LS1 mated to a 4L80E in any factory application? Could you use a factory ECU for a 4L80E to a 4T80E. Are the internals the same, just a different configuration?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

May want to check with "v8 Archie".. He's been mounting v8's to transverse trannies for quite some time..
    As I'm sure you know the 4T80e is huge by auto transaxle standards barely moveable by one person...
    Also the 4L80e, is for the most part a th400 with OD and there's no interchange between the two..

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

By contrast, also, you may look into a Muncie Getrag 5spd.
    Much lighter and can be built to hold quite a bit of power..
    I have a Muncie 282 with treated internals to hold up to 500 crank hp..

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

6.0s come with a 4L80. The factory 4L80 ecu will not work with a 4T80. The LS4 cars use the 4T65E HD you can beef them up.

Alculpolco Blue
    1964 Oldsmobile Starfire

reason why

so...I know most people are going to think ...wtf...but thats ok, besides it's just something I'm working in my head.

I have a 64 Olds starfire. It has the stock 394 with a 700r4 adapted to it. For some reason I cant break past 12-13 mpg. Not sure if it's the engine, weight of the car, or what. So then I started thinking about an LS1, when then led me to how I could reduce the weight of the car, which led me to the 4T80e and rebuild the whole thing in the back, basicly in the trunk. Why? Hell, why not. If I'm going to go take all the original stuff out of the car anyhow, might as well go for broke. The real kicker....it's a perimeter frame car which would allow plenty of room to work with the frame in the back. I researched a Buick Rainer thats 4400 lbs, with the LS4 and it got 19 city, 24 hwy. If I could even get close to that it'd be even more worth it.

And I would love to see the look on peoples faces when I open the hood. Anyhow, I'm in Afghanistan now as a contract mechanic, and this retro fit would fit into my budget and skillset.

Oh, and on V8 archie, his LSx kit is for manuals.

So I'm sure by the time I actually get around to coming back home, this idea will have passed.....or will it. Might have to go with a beefed up LS4.

Thread Information