black
    1983 Hurst Olds

LS1 and a 200-4r tranny combo

Quick question for all....I have an 83' Hurst Old's cutlass that I want to do an engine swap too. I want to plant an LS1 into the car, but retain the freshly rebuilt 200-4r tranny. My question is will this tranny bolt up to the back of an LS1 engine? If so, is there anyone out there that has done this with an LS1? I'd like some details, suggestions, or web site links that could help me out. I want to keep the 200-4R if possible, simply because of the additional required changes to the car to go with another tranny. Email me off list if you prefer: gary@streetsmartclassics.com

Thanks in advance,
    Gary

you will need the crankshaft spacer from huges or the gm 6.0L factory spacer aand longer bolts,, the trans will bolt to the block fine there will be 1 missing bolt but that is no big deal

i have a th350 behind a 6.0L in my s-10 your set up would bolt up the same,, you will have to use a grinder bit to oval out the torque converter holes because the ls1 flex plate is a different bolt pattern,, the 6.0 flexplate has the same pattern as the th400 large bolt pattern

black
    1983 Hurst Olds

Thanks for the inspiration! Another question for you......can I use the factory stall converter for my 200-4R or am I going to need a custom or different converter? I ask because another response to this same post in another section on this forum mentioned that would be the case. I don't think this is correct, but any further input would be appreciated.
    Another related question regarding your reply and your 6.0L GM V-8. I have actually thought about going to a GM crate engine, their LQ9 6.0L. It's rated at 345hp (aluminum heads) and 380 lb/ft of torque. Are you happy with your choice of engines? For about $2800.00, I can get a COMPLETE new engine with brackets, accessories, and wiring harness. The LS1 option new is another $1000 and comes with basically nothing. With the LS1 rated at 350hp and 340 lb/ft of torque, it sort of made me start thinking about what is the best choice. I like the idea of all the 6.0L torque, but I've heard a lot of good about the LS1 and the performance that they give and can offer with minimal mod's. Any input on that issue would also be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Gary

if you use the huges or gm crankshaft spacer you will be able to use the stock style 200-r4 converter

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Hope you had your 200r4 beefed up. They have great close ratio gears, but aren't built for a lot of torque from the factory. They can be built up pretty easily. My SS Monte Carlos both have 200r4s. There's alot of good info on them at http://www.montecarloss.com/ if interested.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Most of the 200r4s had 2000rpm stall speeds from the factory, so unless you're cammed or intend to upgrade your cam you should be fine there...

black
    1983 Hurst Olds

The stock 83 H/O stall converter is a 2600 RPM unit. I also intend to do some of the typical Grand National beef up work on the tranny, so I'm hoping that no matter which LS1 version I drop in, it should be able to take the punishment. Because the LS1 wiring harness and computer are configured for an electronic speedometer, I will probably need to get a custom built wiring harness and computer set up for my situation. That's another hurdle.
    I've been to the montecarloss.com site and there is a lot of helpful info on there about it. I will definitely use it as a reference as I make progress. Thanks for the info and help!

Thread Information