Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Love the Yank :-)))))

This is a discussion on Love the Yank :-))))) within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Steve is absolutely right as always. If your computer isn't reading 100% TPS then the computer doesn't think you are ...

Steve is absolutely right as always. If your computer isn't reading 100% TPS then the computer doesn't think you are at full throttle.

You can easily check that with a scan tool, or you can pin the wires with a volt meter, turn the key on and have someone mat the throttle and see if it's reading 100% that way.

Yes you can drive around in 3rd if you prefer, it doesn't hurt anything.

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Steve is absolutely right as always. If your computer isn't reading 100% TPS then the computer doesn't think you are at full throttle.

You can easily check that with a scan tool, or you can pin the wires with a volt meter, turn the key on and have someone mat the throttle and see if it's reading 100% that way.

Yes you can drive around in 3rd if you prefer, it doesn't hurt anything.
    Yes He is a very technical for sure I bought the computer from him so I will get my mechanic to check it out this week in 3rd gear it works perfectly I might get Steve to take of the pmw to eliminate the chatter I just don't know how harsh that will be when shifting or how hard it will shift

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I 2nd that, I drive in 3rd all the time.

Black

Why

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    I 2nd that, I drive in 3rd all the time.
    Why do you drive it in 3rd all the time is it because of the slipping feeling you get in drive or just that it is more there when you want to hit the gas ????

I don't see a reason to unless you are having issues in 4th gear??? Shudder?? The converter is still programmed in the tune to lock in 3rd gear as well so you wouldn't be avoiding the converter lockup this way either.

I just leave mine in overdrive and drive it everywhere like that, whether around town or not.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    Why do you drive it in 3rd all the time is it because of the slipping feeling you get in drive or just that it is more there when you want to hit the gas ????
    This is from complete memory here, haven't driven my car in 6 months, but I believe it locks at 30mph in 3rd, and usually I am stopping and going in town a lot or cruising around 30-40mph in town cause of the speed limits. Usually if I put it in 4th it will go into lock up at 40mph and if I'm slowing down all the time it'll keep locking and unlocking. It's just a little easier to keep it in D (3rd) depending on how traffic is moving.
    Last edited by allbaugh_04; 04-12-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    This is from complete memory here, haven't driven my car in 6 months, but I believe it locks at 30mph in 3rd, and usually I am stopping and going in town a lot or cruising around 30-40mph in town cause of the speed limits. Usually if I put it in 4th it will go into lock up at 40mph and if I'm slowing down all the time it'll keep locking and unlocking. It's just a little easier to keep it in D (3rd) depending on how traffic is moving.
    You are correct, it will lock earlier (lower mph) when in 3rd gear. I still use the stock MPH locking speeds on mine and in third the converter locks at around 26 mph and unlocks if I slow down below 24 mph. In overdrive it locks at 38 mph and unlocks if I slow down below 36 mph.
    So I can understand what you mean if you want to put around town in slow traffic of say,,,,30-35 mph or so. If you wish to keep the converter locked then 3rd gear is a good option.
    I just leave it in 4th anyway, at such light throttle positions driving that slow I'm not really driving into the converter all that much. I'm so used to driving loose converters in other cars that don't lock,,,so it just seems normal to me.

Black

Exactly

I don't see a reason to unless you are having issues in 4th gear??? Shudder?? The converter is still programmed in the tune to lock in 3rd gear as well so you wouldn't be avoiding the converter lockup this way either.

I just leave mine in overdrive and drive it everywhere like that, whether around town or not.
    It is in 4th gear and it shudder's at 45 to 48mph that is my problem if I down shift it in 3rd it's perfect as soon as I hit 50mph I put it in d and it works great If I drive in D anything before 45mph is perfect anything after 50 mph perfect it's just that speed ans that's a popular speed limit around here if I'm in shudder mode lol I push the gas a little it downshifts and it's perfect It sounds like the clutches are rattling!!!!
    Last edited by Durango; 04-12-2011 at 03:39 PM.

Black

ok

You are correct, it will lock earlier (lower mph) when in 3rd gear. I still use the stock MPH locking speeds on mine and in third the converter locks at around 26 mph and unlocks if I slow down below 24 mph. In overdrive it locks at 38 mph and unlocks if I slow down below 36 mph.
    So I can understand what you mean if you want to put around town in slow traffic of say,,,,30-35 mph or so. If you wish to keep the converter locked then 3rd gear is a good option.
    I just leave it in 4th anyway, at such light throttle positions driving that slow I'm not really driving into the converter all that much. I'm so used to driving loose converters in other cars that don't lock,,,so it just seems normal to me.
    I could live with it being loose it's the clutch rattling sound at 45-48mph that bugs me and is kinda makes me feel like a drive a car that everything rattles :-) but it has 34 000 miles and is new condition :-( I love my car but quiet except the exhaust and the odd T Top squeak lol

It is in 4th gear and it shudder's at 45 to 48mph that is my problem if I down shift it in 3rd it's perfect as soon as I hit 50mph I put it in d and it works great If I drive in D anything before 45mph is perfect anything after 50 mph perfect it's just that speed ans that's a popular speed limit around here if I'm in shudder mode lol I push the gas a little it downshifts and it's perfect It sounds like the clutches are rattling!!!!
    I could live with it being loose it's the clutch rattling sound at 45-48mph that bugs me and is kinda makes me feel like a drive a car that everything rattles :-) but it has 34 000 miles and is new condition :-( I love my car but quiet except the exhaust and the odd T Top squeak lol
    In that case it sounds like you could play with the lockup speed in the tune and see if it cures it. Maybe bump it to 48-50 mph lockup speed in 4th and see if your problems go away.

Black

Cool thanks

In that case it sounds like you could play with the lockup speed in the tune and see if it cures it. Maybe bump it to 48-50 mph lockup speed in 4th and see if your problems go away.
    Steve just wants to take off the pmw or pwm "Dave at yank recommended it" and something at 100% I am getting use to the stall and really starting to love it I checked and it shifts at 5750rpm on the dot and My mechanic is going to check everything again Thursday

Steve just wants to take off the pmw or pwm "Dave at yank recommended it" and something at 100% I am getting use to the stall and really starting to love it I checked and it shifts at 5750rpm on the dot and My mechanic is going to check everything again Thursday
    I'm not good with abreviations so I have no idea what PMW or PWM is. But I'm sure Steve will set it straight.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

PWM= Pulse Width Modulation

Here's a long read but will explain PWM nicely and why they do it. They even use the 4l60e in the article.
    http://www.motor.com/magazine/pdfs/062006_07.pdf

taken from the article:
    To enhance converter clutch engagement for improved fuel economy, a pulse width modulated (PWM) torque converter clutch (TCC) solenoid was added to the system in 1995 (Fig.2). This required a change in the pump assembly and valve body to accommodate the required hydraulics. (The acronym PWM is cast into the pump cover for easy identification.) With these changes, the PCM provides a duty cycle to this PWM solenoid, which in turn regulates the pressure in the TCC hydraulic circuit, allowing the torque converter clutch to apply gradually. The amount of slip that occurs during the apply is proportional to the duty cycle

Short answer.....get a tune

Black

I agree Steve is ready for me

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post

Here's a long read but will explain PWM nicely and why they do it. They even use the 4l60e in the article.

taken from the article:
    To enhance converter clutch engagement for improved fuel economy, a pulse width modulated (PWM) torque converter clutch (TCC) solenoid was added to the system in 1995 (Fig.2). This required a change in the pump assembly and valve body to accommodate the required hydraulics. (The acronym PWM is cast into the pump cover for easy identification.) With these changes, the PCM provides a duty cycle to this PWM solenoid, which in turn regulates the pressure in the TCC hydraulic circuit, allowing the torque converter clutch to apply gradually. The amount of slip that occurs during the apply is proportional to the duty cycle

Yes I did get a Tune from Steve Williams with PWM on so he is recommending to tune with PWM off so I hope that fixes it and YES Orion YOU WERE RIGHT I SURE HOPE THIS WORKS because the converter is so much fun to drive at wot it's ridiculous lol Only thing it's way harder on gas lol it's always at wot I can't stop myself :-)))))))))))))))

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post

taken from the article:

I'm going to guess I bypassed all that gradual apply junk when I changed my converter pressure tables as per the HPtuner thread.
    You just change the whole table to 100/90 (I'd have to look at it to be sure) and it makes the converter lock as if it's shifting into another gear, nice and firm.

In which case it's what I've been saying all along.

Orion, I'm sure you know the HPtuner table I'm speaking of.

If I knew how to post a shot of it on here, I would.

I prefer to get rid of the gradual apply, just unnecessary wear in my honest opinion. It's only there to satisfy the general population when these cars were sold.

Black

gREAT GREAT GREAT that's what I wanted to hear hope it works Can I put in my stock PCM and drive the car around in the mean time It will take a few weeks to get my pcm back from Frost /Steve

Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate this It's a good thing I have this site to get my info

Cheers

Paul

It should run with the stock computer/tune. The only thing I would question is possibly the loose converter setting off the engine misfire codes with the stock tune.
    I'm not sure if Frost changed the misfire sensitivity when he tuned it for you, but that's a common issue with converters. I have heard some say it's not a problem.
    I know when my converter went in, I didn't even get out of the driveway before it set a misfire code. I had to desensitize mine.

Just something to keep in mind.

Black

OK I have 2 computers

It should run with the stock computer/tune. The only thing I would question is possibly the loose converter setting off the engine misfire codes with the stock tune.
    I'm not sure if Frost changed the misfire sensitivity when he tuned it for you, but that's a common issue with converters. I have heard some say it's not a problem.
    I know when my converter went in, I didn't even get out of the driveway before it set a misfire code. I had to desensitize mine.

Just something to keep in mind.
    I bought a second computer from Steve thinking that if something like this happened that I could send the one that he programmed and use it in the meantime I was getting the other one programmed but he is saying I would have 2 PCM programmed for the price of 1 kind of defeating the purpose of buying a second PCM but I can understand Not that I could use 2 at the same time :-) As long as I can get it to work right I'm happy !!!

My mechanic is cheacking my TPS tomorrow to see if it opens at 100% if it does well the tranny is shifting at 5700 to 5750rpm instead of 6 grand and taking of the pwm then I will be ready for May 15th opening track day. I am suppose to race against my old car now I will really know what a converter really does it feels slower maybe it's becaiuse of the looseness it doesn't hit as hard as it did between shifts!!!!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I bought a second computer from Steve thinking that if something like this happened that I could send the one that he programmed and use it in the meantime I was getting the other one programmed but he is saying I would have 2 PCM programmed for the price of 1 kind of defeating the purpose of buying a second PCM but I can understand Not that I could use 2 at the same time :-) As long as I can get it to work right I'm happy !!!

My mechanic is cheacking my TPS tomorrow to see if it opens at 100% if it does well the tranny is shifting at 5700 to 5750rpm instead of 6 grand and taking of the pwm then I will be ready for May 15th opening track day. I am suppose to race against my old car now I will really know what a converter really does it feels slower maybe it's becaiuse of the looseness it doesn't hit as hard as it did between shifts!!!!!
    another thing to keep in mind is that you're going by the tach for your shift rpm's.....they're not always real accurate or can be a little behind actual. Seat of the pants also isn't telling you really what the car is doing either.....it feels loose but trust me.....you're much faster than you were.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information