Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Love the Yank :-)))))

This is a discussion on Love the Yank :-))))) within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; I have a Y3000 Yank (10 yrs old), and if I had it to do over, I would have gone ...

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I have a Y3000 Yank (10 yrs old), and if I had it to do over, I would have gone with a 3600.
    I had my vehicle dyno tuned for the converter change, and they worked out all the problems I was experiencing after the TC install. My converter "locks up" @ 43 MPH in OD.

I do not experience any "shuttering or chatter" either before or after the tune.

SteveC

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

I'm new at this

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Oh jesus, don't even start. Would you rather it slip like a fuddle and be a smoother ride?

Of course it's gonna shake a little doing 40mph at 12-1300rpms.

Your lock up clutch can be activated at different mphs with some simple tuning.
    That's what I'm thinking if the lock up could be up in the mph a bit it would be a better feel but at 1/2 throttle she goes through the shifts perfectly and full throttle it shifts at 5800rpm I think a bit low right???

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Yea but all that's adjusted in the tuning.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Yea but all that's adjusted in the tuning.
    I did get a mail order tune from Frost by the way guys this not a car that wasn't tuned I'm I bought a new PCM or I guess used one from him so that if this happen my car wouldn't be down too much so I'm getting ready to pack up the one I had in the car with the explaination of what it's doing and I hope the next one will be what I want

What would be a good MPH shift for wot and you say 43mph yeah mine is lower like 36 or 38mph pretty darn close for a 1st try I think I just don't have anyone around here that tune cars with TC

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    I did get a mail order tune from Frost by the way guys this not a car that wasn't tuned I'm I bought a new PCM or I guess used one from him so that if this happen my car wouldn't be down too much so I'm getting ready to pack up the one I had in the car with the explaination of what it's doing and I hope the next one will be what I want

What would be a good MPH shift for wot and you say 43mph yeah mine is lower like 36 or 38mph pretty darn close for a 1st try I think I just don't have anyone around here that tune cars with TC
    The tuner explained to me that every car has its own individual issues that need to be addressed, example, my stock A/F ratio (WOT) from the factory was set @ 15:1 (VERY lean), and needed to be readjusted to 13.2:1.

IMHO, I do not believe a generic tune for your PCM will help you with all your problems, you need to get YOUR vehicle on the dyno, and have it tuned to the specific specifications that your vehicle turns out. That is you need a custom tune for your particular vehicle.

SteveC

Black

I would love to

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    The tuner explained to me that every car has its own individual issues that need to be addressed, example, my stock A/F ratio (WOT) from the factory was set @ 15:1 (VERY lean), and needed to be readjusted to 13.2:1.

IMHO, I do not believe a generic tune for your PCM will help you with all your problems, you need to get YOUR vehicle on the dyno, and have it tuned to the specific specifications that your vehicle turns out. That is you need a custom tune for your particular vehicle.

SteveC
    The guy that has a dyno has no clue how to tune with a TC he has never done it Hew can tune with superchargers Turbo's gears headers etc but never with a TC

The closest guy is 22 hrs drive away

red
    2000 camaro ss

I dont know much about tuning but i had the chatter as well with my TCI 3500. It needs to be retuned. I had to go back to retune 3 times before I was happy with the tune. I would suggest go 3600 and up. I now want a Yank ss4000

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

It's up to you. I have mine lock-up at 35 in 3rd and 40 in 4th. Yea it shakes at 40, but about 45ish...(from memory) it doesn't shake. I haven't driven it in 6 months so I'm not sure where it stops shaking. But 50mph would be a safe bet.

Black

OK

I tested it today it goes in overdrive or 4th at 38mph and that is too low for me I drove it in 3rd and loved it I would only like it to shift in 4th I think after 52 or 53mph

It shakes at 48mph but after 53 or 54 mph it's fine I have 2:73 gears I bet you that is part of the issue

I tested it today it goes in overdrive or 4th at 38mph and that is too low for me I drove it in 3rd and loved it I would only like it to shift in 4th I think after 52 or 53mph

It shakes at 48mph but after 53 or 54 mph it's fine I have 2:73 gears I bet you that is part of the issue
    Your 2.73's could be a cause for some slight adjustments, I run the 3.23's in mine, and left the lockup at the factory 38 mph setting. In 4th with the converter locked it accelerates without any hint of shudder.

Are you guys running any sort of aftermarket camshaft?? Because that's usually the only time that moving the lockup speed higher is needed. Cams with overlap generally don't like to lug down low so moving the lockup speed higher makes the car happier.

Black

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Your 2.73's could be a cause for some slight adjustments, I run the 3.23's in mine, and left the lockup at the factory 38 mph setting. In 4th with the converter locked it accelerates without any hint of shudder.

Are you guys running any sort of aftermarket camshaft?? Because that's usually the only time that moving the lockup speed higher is needed. Cams with overlap generally don't like to lug down low so moving the lockup speed higher makes the car happier.
    It's stock except cat back and lid !!! I wonder if I shouldn't throw my stock pcm in with no tune to see how it feels!!!As soon as I push the gas a little she's fine but the rpm at 38mph is like 1200rpm that's very low

It's stock except cat back and lid !!! I wonder if I shouldn't throw my stock pcm in with no tune to see how it feels!!!As soon as I push the gas a little she's fine but the rpm at 38mph is like 1200rpm that's very low
    That sounds about right. I can chug mine that low with the converter locked and it motors along nice and smooth. At that low of an rpm though, it doesn't take much throttle at all to unlock the converter.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Yea the 2.73s might not be helping. That's what I have too. Still looking for a replacement rear with 3.23s or 3.42s.

Black

who did your tunning

Who did the tuning on your car

I tune it with HPtuner.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I think my tuner uses HPtuners as well. Local mechanic/car enthusiast.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Just a side note that I did not mention, my vehicle has 3.73's in the rear, and the PCM was all confused shifting up and down while driving before the tune.

SteveC

Black

Honestly

To be honest it shifts up and down perfectly, the only problem is that shaffer at 42 to 48 mph the rest is pretty picture perfect and it shifts at 55 or 5600rpm at wot that's low I'm scared it will be slower at the track than my 13.34 in the 1/4 lol I had a superchip programmer and it shifted at 5900rpm with line pressure up It actually shifted firmer than now and felt like it had more guts than now when it shifted from 2nd to 3rd It also chirped the tires at 50mph when it shifted and it doesn't anymore My local tuner is suppose to take a course on hp tuner next month he has no idea what to do with TC

To be honest it shifts up and down perfectly, the only problem is that shaffer at 42 to 48 mph the rest is pretty picture perfect and it shifts at 55 or 5600rpm at wot that's low I'm scared it will be slower at the track than my 13.34 in the 1/4 lol I had a superchip programmer and it shifted at 5900rpm with line pressure up It actually shifted firmer than now and felt like it had more guts than now when it shifted from 2nd to 3rd It also chirped the tires at 50mph when it shifted and it doesn't anymore My local tuner is suppose to take a course on hp tuner next month he has no idea what to do with TC
    Well for starters,,,generally speaking when loose converters are installed it does take some of the snap out of the shifts compared to a very tight stock converter. Simply because you are driving into a loose converter that is soaking some of that snap up. It may or may not chirp second gear as easily as it did before, and may not chirp 3rd at all anymore. What the converter does do is keep the engine up higher in the happy rpm range.

Once you raise your WOT throttle shift points back where they need to be and adjust line pressures, and/or your converter lockup pressures, I think most of your problems will go away.

Black

Thanks Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well for starters,,,generally speaking when loose converters are installed it does take some of the snap out of the shifts compared to a very tight stock converter. Simply because you are driving into a loose converter that is soaking some of that snap up. It may or may not chirp second gear as easily as it did before, and may not chirp 3rd at all anymore. What the converter does do is keep the engine up higher in the happy rpm range.

Once you raise your WOT throttle shift points back where they need to be and adjust line pressures, and/or your converter lockup pressures, I think most of your problems will go away.
    I talked to Steve Williams and he is telling me to check my tps to see if it's at 100% oipen because he remembers tuning at 6000rpm but it shifts at 56orprobably closer to 5700 in every gear at wot

Would it hurt to drive the car in 3rd gear in town that would solve the shatter I'm getting at 45 to 48mph I think I'm going to try to go see another local guy but he is a Mustang guy only but he did deal in TC so maybe he could help I am just a little disapointed that I spent $300 bucks on a mail order tune with a new pcm now I need to pull the one I have in there out the idea of buying one from him was to have a spare one so if something like this happens my car wouldn't be down I wish I was told this when I purchased it!!!Oh well live and lean :-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information