Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Question Life expectancy of 4L60E

I am looking at buying a 2000 TA WS6 with the auto 4 speed (because the best car I have been able to find under my budget of 8,000 has that trans, I prefer the M5speed.) While I know there are variables such as how well the transmission has been serviced and how hard it has been driven. It is a one owner adult owned car in very good shape for its age and mileage, it appears to have been well cared for. I am going to have a shop do a full inspection on it before purchase, but if it passes I will buy it.

My question is assuming no issues are found with the transmission now and it has had at least average care and driven reasonably about how many miles do these transmissions last before they need to be replaced?

A follow up question, as a replacement if and when it does go I have been considering the Monster Transmission replacement with upgrades, the middle strength version advertised to withstand 500HP (I do plan a few minor performance upgrades). Has anyone had experience with this or know of a better deal on a replacement transmission?

Thanks Much,
    T

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Built correctly the 4L60E can last. I guess they can break at just about anytime.

I personally had a shop rebuild mine to handle 500hp for 1300 bucks. I thought that was a decently deal.

It's holding up so far...

white
    2000 Z28

no 5 speeds in manual 4th gens. they are 6 speeds manuals. 4 speed autos. but as far as reliability in the 4l60e goes. it will hold up in stock trim just fine. with bolt ons a tranny cooler is suggested. if you plan to get a stall converter than a tranny cooler is needed. it should go without saying but keep an eye for tranny fluid leaks and if you have one get it taken care of. again bolt ons the stocker will be fine for mild play and dd use. but any tranny upgrade like a shift kit a tranny cooler is suggested. stall needs a tranny cooler, no way around it. anything beyond bolt ons i suggest a rebuild for however much power you will use it for. the sunshell is pretty weak once you start big power mods, and heat just plain destroys auto trannies. by the way mine is sittin pretty and shifting strong at 124k, check my sig for mods.

btw never heard of monster for auto work. performabuilt is what i have my eye on for when i am ready and can afford to pay.
    2000 white z28, t-tops, free mods, intake, full exhaust, dyno tune, repro c5 z06 wheels, and some elbow grease here and there.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

I am just talking stock for now..

I have not owned this particular auto trans before so I dont know if it is good for 200K or not.

I found out about Monster Transmission online when they were a smaller outfit and I had a 700r4 in a car I wanted to beef up.

It was a typo, I know it is a six speed, I have driven them.

I am only planning basic bolt ons like perhaps exhaust, air lid, computer program.
    but only after I am sure it doesnt need any basic mechanical work.

A transmission fluid cooler is not a bad idea, neither is a temp gauge.

On the WS6 they felt it necessary to install a power steering cooler. Ok by me.

I guess I will know if I am taking the plunge in about a week when I have the car inspected by a shop before purchasing it. For under 8 grand it should be a pretty nice bang for the buck if the mechanics are in the same showroom shape as the exterior.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Change the fluid/filter as soon as you get it and add another good B and M trans cooler and see how she does.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Good idea...plus

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Change the fluid/filter as soon as you get it and add another good B and M trans cooler and see how she does.
    That is a good idea, I plan to do all the maintenance things to it as soon as I get it.

All of them have had some tan radiator buildup so I will get them flushed out too, at least it is not the fix leak in a can garbage.

The one thing that I have been told NOT to do on high mileagae automatics was to get the transmission flushed, but instead to just change the fluid and filter. This has been the majority of mechanics that have told me this. I have yet to check with my personal most trusted mechanic that is in the next State over.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

For the radiator: If using DexCool (the orange stuff) then use only DexCool. If mixed with green coolant it forms a thick brown sludge that is deleterious to the cooling system.

If using green coolant the system must be flushed completely (if in doubt do it again) of DexCool.
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by thomasterrible View Post
    I am looking at buying a 2000 TA WS6 with the auto 4 speed (because the best car I have been able to find under my budget of 8,000 has that trans, I prefer the M5speed.) While I know there are variables such as how well the transmission has been serviced and how hard it has been driven. It is a one owner adult owned car in very good shape for its age and mileage, it appears to have been well cared for. I am going to have a shop do a full inspection on it before purchase, but if it passes I will buy it.

My question is assuming no issues are found with the transmission now and it has had at least average care and driven reasonably about how many miles do these transmissions last before they need to be replaced?

A follow up question, as a replacement if and when it does go I have been considering the Monster Transmission replacement with upgrades, the middle strength version advertised to withstand 500HP (I do plan a few minor performance upgrades). Has anyone had experience with this or know of a better deal on a replacement transmission?

Thanks Much,
    T
    LOL I have been dealing with monster transmission for 2 years now and I am on my 3rd trans of thiers. I don't race the car, it is a street car and I recently finished a 383 build with LE2 heads and mild cam. The last time I blew one up was about 2 months ago. It had around 4 thousand miles on it. Sit back and read this because you wont belive it.
    They charged me 25% of the original price because it was out of warrenty by maybe 3 months. I was cruising along and the plant exploded on me. NO lie. I was doing 45mph and cruising when the plant came apart. I was still breaking in the engine that only had 1500 miles on it. I did not beat on it but like I said it was the second time the stupid thing broke for no damn reason. When they rebuilt it this time they wanted me to put the 5 pinion plants in there so I said ok. They called me to come pick it up so I did ( live close to them). When I picked it up It had the converter on it and the guy said it had just been test run and everything checked out OK. I got it home put it in the car to the point where I am ready to change pans fill and drive it and drop the stock style pan they had on it to swap it out with my deep pan and the thing was bone dry inside. Not a drop of fluid anywhere. It had not been test driven. I had to pull it back out because I was sure as hell they did not fill the converter either. Sure enough the converter was dry as well. I filled the converter and put it back in and got it running then fired off an E-mail to them about what happen. Monday morning I get a call from the owner in a panic. I called him back as I was driving around breaking in the trans and he told me they F'd up big time. The trans they gave me was not done yet. They had to order the 5 pinion plants and they had not come in yet so they put it together with 4 pinion plant and had not finished the build on it. So basically I have a transmission that was not finished in my car that runs but is not what I ordered after 2 others died quickley. lol He did offer to build another one for me right away but I am about to move so I need the car running. It has been parked for 4 weeks now while I am packing so that I can drive it to my new house in the hope it makes it and then deal with this shit again. I am not going to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do but this has been my experiance so far. I have racked up a total of 6 thousand miles on 3 of thier transmissions and I am going to have to pull it again. As far as the build not being done they could not tell me if it was finished or slapped together so I will be having them do it again once I get moved in and unpacked this weekend.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Here are the picks as proof

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Thanks for the story

I have never owned one of their trannies, just had them in mind. I will check around to see if there is a better choice to go with these days. This was also when they were a smaller outfit and perhaps their getting bigger has led to more work and less quality staff, I have no idea. I dont like to have to repalce things but if they stand by their warranty and it doesnt cost me that is very important also, and I will check around before buying a tranny. Still I will keep a savings account ready for when this one goes and I need a new one and will get one beefed up beyond the HP I will be running. In the meantime I will figure out the best replacement transmission, that way no surprises and no time without the car other than shop time to swap em out.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Photos are worth a lot

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    I believe you. I did not notice which of their transmissions you had purchased, I had always planned on the one that was supposed to take 500HP, the middle one. Also is your car modified for big time Hp?

Yup those photos are not very encouraging. Again, I will research suggested companies before purchasing one when it comes time. Wish you luck with getting your tranny mess worked out to your satisfaction.
    T

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Built correctly the 4L60E can last. I guess they can break at just about anytime.

I personally had a shop rebuild mine to handle 500hp for 1300 bucks. I thought that was a decently deal.

It's holding up so far...
    Do you have 500hp? I didn't think you had anywhere close to that. You have a cam and big stall right? Just wondering.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Do you have 500hp? I didn't think you had anywhere close to that. You have a cam and big stall right? Just wondering.
    The numbers aren't there yet.

It was built to handle that, just need to add the 100 shot and I should put down 500rwhp on a dynojet.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    That's still good yet. A little JB welb and you'll be back on the road.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

I believe you. I did not notice which of their transmissions you had purchased, I had always planned on the one that was supposed to take 500HP, the middle one. Also is your car modified for big time Hp?

Yup those photos are not very encouraging. Again, I will research suggested companies before purchasing one when it comes time. Wish you luck with getting your tranny mess worked out to your satisfaction.
    T
    These are the 500hp ones lol. the latest was supposed to be in between the big one and the middle one they sell. I had stock power on the first one and the stroker now makes maybe 375hp and 450ftlbs.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by thearborbarber View Post
    That's still good yet. A little JB welb and you'll be back on the road.
    lol Yea jb weld and some bondo. I think I am going to hang it on the wall for show and tell lol.

99 Z28 04 Corvette

After seeing those pictures it makes me feel good about getting 20k miles out of my performabuilt lvl 2. Lol

silver
    2006 gto

Thanks Much,
    T
    i had the monster ss installed in my goat. its good for 650hp. i have to get it tuned to the motor. once i do i'll post again.

Thread Information