Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just Bought 3.73's! A Few ?'s

This is a discussion on Just Bought 3.73's! A Few ?'s within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Originally Posted by 0rion the computer looks at mph AND rpm before it will shift. Both parameters have to be ...

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the computer looks at mph AND rpm before it will shift. Both parameters have to be met before it will shift. If they're to far apart it may cause the car to "hunt" for shift points or it'll bang the limiter. With a gear swap in an f-body you'll want to get the speedo corrected. Vette's don't have the same problem because their speed sensors work off the axles and not the driveshaft.

Putting the needles back on incorrectly won't effect shift points. The pcm looks at the speed sensor not the gauges.
    That is exactly what my car does!!!! Only i didn't get any gears put in i just had my transmission rebuilt with a 9 clutch package and shift kit. would this also cause my car to do what you said, "If they're to far apart it may cause the car to "hunt" for shift points or it'll bang the limiter."

98 Formula
    06 duramax

is your car shifting at different points or is it hitting the limiter everytime? If it's just smacking the limiter on shifts I would just move the shift point or limiter depending on where you want it to shift at and where it's actually trying to shift.

2000 Trans Am

is your car shifting at different points or is it hitting the limiter everytime? If it's just smacking the limiter on shifts I would just move the shift point or limiter depending on where you want it to shift at and where it's actually trying to shift.
    You can actually (well i can my wife is blind to it) tell the car is finding where to switch sometimes i'll be just driving downtown going 25-30 and it will just downshift for some reason then when i push on the gas it feels like i am towing something like it is in a really low gear. And when I am really racing it once it hits the rev limiter it bounces off of it until i let off and push the gas again. Then it will finally shift.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

to be honest with you I'm not sure of the effects of rebuilds. I would assume that unless it's built to stock specs you could run into some shifting issues that would need to be tuned out. Have you had the car tuned at all? I also wouldn't make a habit of bouncing off the rev limiter if you can help it.

2000 Trans Am

to be honest with you I'm not sure of the effects of rebuilds. I would assume that unless it's built to stock specs you could run into some shifting issues that would need to be tuned out. Have you had the car tuned at all? I also wouldn't make a habit of bouncing off the rev limiter if you can help it.
    Yeh i definatley don't make it a habit but it sounds exactly what you explained in the thread above. I do need to get a tune asap as soon as i come back from leave (i am in the military) and so i am going to get a dyno and tune as soon as i get back. Do you think this will be able to help me?
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yep, that should fix you right up. Make sure you tell the guy that's tuning it exactly what's going on and make sure you get a full tune and not just a WOT dyno tune.

2000 Trans Am

yep, that should fix you right up. Make sure you tell the guy that's tuning it exactly what's going on and make sure you get a full tune and not just a WOT dyno tune.
    WOT? Yeh I will make sure of that it is gonna cost me $500.00 for the tune and dyno. Sound about right for a full tune?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I see those costs vary a lot but $500 is a number I see quite a bit. The dollar figure isn't as important as the tuners experience. I would search around and find some people that have gotten tunes from the same tuner and see if they were happy with the results. WOT= Wide Open Throttle. Ideally you want a balanced tune. Someone that does your idle, part throttle, and then wot on a dyno with a wideband. Since you're an auto you'll want someone to set your shift points, firmness, and shift duration along with taking out torque management.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information