Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

how often to change trans. fuild

I'm not sure so I ask.

how often to change trans. fuild miles and time?

Thanks

Red
    2001 ws6

i THINK every 30k......could be wrong

Black
    2001 Ws6

Here is a good one I will be driving from brooklyn New York to ATL GA what should I have checked? oil, tranny, the dif? please let me know.

I change our auto tranny fluid every 10,000 miles on every car. Since you only get 5-6 quarts out on a fluid/filter change it gives me piece of mind. After a few times of this it also seems to stay clean.
    Some people like to do the flush, more costly but it gets all the old fluid out in one shot and replaces with fresh. But you still have to drop the pan and change the filter so you don't save yourself any work.
    I haven't found this necessary for me if I stay on top of my early change intervals. Up to you.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I do mine about every 10000 miles. Due to my spirited drving style.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

the range most trans guys say is 20k on normal driving with half highway, 25k if all highway and normal driving. 15k for aggressive highway, 10k for aggressive city.
    If your tough on them make the call between 10k to 15k by checking the fluid color and smell. sometimes if your rough on them and the more miles they have on them the more offten it will need to be changed. always check the fluid with oil changes and you should never burn up the fluid.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by War Theory View Post
    Here is a good one I will be driving from brooklyn New York to ATL GA what should I have checked? oil, tranny, the dif? please let me know.
    You may as well give everything a good once over. In addition to what you mentioned, not a bad idea to check your u-joints and sway bar end links while you are under the car. Check your tire pressure -- including your spare. Also check and top off your brake fluid, power steering fluid, clutch reservoir (if applicable), and coolant overflow. I shouldn't have to mention windshield washer fluid - but I did anyway. Check and replace your air filter if dirty (or clean it if it is a K&N style). Lastly, look at your belts and hoses - make sure the belts aren't all checked and that the hoses are pliable and not ballooned or weeping coolant. Did I miss anything?

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    the range most trans guys say is 20k on normal driving with half highway, 25k if all highway and normal driving. 15k for aggressive highway, 10k for aggressive city.
    If your tough on them make the call between 10k to 15k by checking the fluid color and smell. sometimes if your rough on them and the more miles they have on them the more offten it will need to be changed. always check the fluid with oil changes and you should never burn up the fluid.
    OK 25K

Thanks

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by War Theory View Post

Black
    2001 Ws6

thanks for the info will do I will post after I check everything out and let you know what I find.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by qwik219d9 View Post
    OK 25K

Thanks
    Just keep in mind different fluids wear at differnet rates in different climates and the millage on the trans also affects this. 25k is for newer trans after break in and first change. If your a higher millage car you need to really keep an eye on it after about 10k to 15k watch the color and smell of the fluid and always spend the extra cash for some good fluid. some parts store brands are cheap and others are just the same as a name brand. Napa has it's trans fluid made by Valvaline. personally I would use a good name brand or B&M trick shift, either non synthetic (just about the same cost as name brand fluid) or Royal purple. 25k is pushing it but in regular street cars it kind of the norm. You try to make it as long as you can but when it's time the fluid and filter need to be changed. Just keep an eye on it just like your oil.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

filter?

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    Just keep in mind different fluids wear at differnet rates in different climates and the millage on the trans also affects this. 25k is for newer trans after break in and first change. If your a higher millage car you need to really keep an eye on it after about 10k to 15k watch the color and smell of the fluid and always spend the extra cash for some good fluid. some parts store brands are cheap and others are just the same as a name brand. Napa has it's trans fluid made by Valvaline. personally I would use a good name brand or B&M trick shift, either non synthetic (just about the same cost as name brand fluid) or Royal purple. 25k is pushing it but in regular street cars it kind of the norm. You try to make it as long as you can but when it's time the fluid and filter need to be changed. Just keep an eye on it just like your oil.
    I have a external oil filter used as a trans. fuild filter, was only planning to replace it and leave the OME filter inside trans. will change both for next change of fuild. dropping the pan is a PIA.

this is another reason I added a filter.

any thoughts

I have a external oil filter used as a trans. fuild filter, was only planning to replace it and leave the OME filter inside trans. will change both for next change of fuild. dropping the pan is a PIA.

this is another reason I added a filter.

any thoughts
    You need to change the filter in the pan regularly. The extra external filter is a nice addition for more protection,,,but it doesn't stop the need for dropping the pan and replacing that filter as well.
    The more contaminated that filter gets, the harder the pump has to work.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

TC fuild drain out if I let drain over night

I would like to get as much fuild out as possible.

if I leave the drain plug out on my deep TCI pan over night will the torque converter fuild drain out?

it's been about an hour and it is still dripping.

Thanks
    cam-LTs-FAST78-Susp.-Rims

Nope, it will still hold fluid in the converter.

In some of the older tranny's the converter had a plug in it too drain. In later years 60's and 70's (and this is actually listed in the GM service manuals) You were told to drill a small 1/8 inch hole in the converter to drain, and then install a pop rivet.
    I never practiced that, but some GM service techs did from that era. Then the "FLUSH" method came around where a machine is used to pump out the old and in with the new.

I just stay on top of my 10,000 mi change intervals and call it done.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

fuild drain

OK it's been a few more hours and it;s still drippin what if I leave it drip for a few days will the TC drain competely over a extended period of time?

I've counted & estimated 8 quarts so far.

Thanks

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

LOL they will drip forever because the filter tube has not been removed. just dig in. get an old shirt and some rags and get in there and get it over with. I am working on installing my trans again for the 4th time cuz of my builders f'ups and no matter if the TC is off or not fluid still comes out when I open it up and roll it over on the stand. Its just like and old motor and atifreeze, it just keep finding more to dump

OK it's been a few more hours and it;s still drippin what if I leave it drip for a few days will the TC drain competely over a extended period of time?

I've counted & estimated 8 quarts so far.

Thanks
    You won't get the fluid out of the converter from the drain pan. As Jay mentioned,,,there is fluid beyond the filter tube, and until that filter is pulled, there will be fluid trapped up in there as well. It may slowly backdrain through the filter after a couple weeks.
    I know you are trying to save yourself some work but the bottom line is that pan really should come off. Just imagine all the crud and film that collects in the bottom of the pan and around the magnet. You don't want that crap mixing in with fresh fluid. It doesn't come out while draining, it has to physically be washed out with parts washer.

What will make the job easier the next time you drop it is to install a drain plug, and it sounds as though you have.
    Hell with one of those pulling the pan is cake at that point and only 5 minutes work. Flush the pan out, remove/install new filter, stick a new gasket on and bolt it up.

VERITAS / AEQUITAS T/A Addicted's Avatar

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS-6

NEWBIE HERE//// I saw you stated Royal Purple Tranny Fluid. I use Royal Purple Oil now (love it) and looked into switching to there tranny fluid but everything I found said I had to use the dexron iii. Is there a specific royal purple I have to use and is there an upgraded filter I should be getting?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by T/A Addicted View Post
    NEWBIE HERE//// I saw you stated Royal Purple Tranny Fluid. I use Royal Purple Oil now (love it) and looked into switching to there tranny fluid but everything I found said I had to use the dexron iii. Is there a specific royal purple I have to use and is there an upgraded filter I should be getting?
    Sarge is going to hang you high.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information