Thread: How many Bolts?

the-f'in-kid

How many Bolts?

I am in the process of removing the transmission from my 1998 camaro z28. The Transmission does not want to come out. My question is how many bolts hold the transmission in. 9 bolts have been removed as well as the torque converter/flexplate bolts. The dipstick tube is out as well. Does anyone have any ideas or know the number of bolts?

Awaiting Activation

9 bolts should be it on an auto. There are 6 that hold the tranny to the block(two on each side, and two towards the top). There are the three that hold the T/C to the flexplate as well. It should have already fallen off after taking these bolts out.

You do have the torque arm diconnected and the crossmember is out right?? What about the wiring harness I think there are two connections on the tranny that need to be unplugged.

the-f'in-kid
    The torque arm mount was removed as well as the harnesses and the crossmember. 9 bolts were pulled from the bellhousing however? do you have an explaination on why i would have 9 to your 6? Transmission does not want to come out still if you have any other ideas...

Awaiting Activation

Don't know that one. On every sbc I've ever pulled there were 6 bolts holding the tranny to the motor.

the-f'in-kid
    The ls1's have 9 bolts holding the bellhousing to the engine. The problem i have run into is that the dowel does not want to separate itself. The dowel is causing the transmission to remain connected to the engine. Simple methods of wiggling the transmission have not worked, nor has pry bars and bottle jack pushing against trans towards differential. Has anyone ever run into this problem?

Awaiting Activation

Now that I think about it I have had the dowels freeze up a bit before. I just wrenched on that sucker with a pry bar as hard as I could and it popped off.

ezzzzzzz
    Pay close attention when reinstalling it. If you're off on the front pump then you'll break the pump drive assembly for sure. I did this without thinking (accustom to working with manual boxes) and the engine wouldn't turn over by hand. Damn, that was a humbling moment! I ended up replacing the whole pump rather than rebuild the other. While I was there I did put in a transgo shift kit (ECM torque control programming removed) and opened up the return port just behind the pump seal to aid in fluid return. This helps to reduce seal failure at high pump pressures/high rpm's. Don't forget the small o-ring on the input shaft either. It needs to be there to allow the lock-up to function.

Thread Information