white
    2002 z28

how to install a trans cooler?

im now looking into a big stall for my car and was told to get one of these. it looks simple soo im asking how is it installed? any modifactions? what the best brand? and how much extra ATF should i add?

and how would i hook up a trans TEMP guage to it?

black
    2002 WS6

They are very simple to put in. Just follow the instructions that come with the it and there should be no issues. The hardest part is finding out what line is send and what line is return from the factory cooler. you want the auxilary cooler after the factory one. As for the temp gauge should be as easy as following the instructions and puting a T fitting of some sort in the line going to the cooler, i think.

white
    2002 z28

thanks

98 Formula
    06 duramax

The only thing I can add is to get a little extra tranny hose because they don't come with very much. Make sure it's tranny hose too and not heater hose like they tried to sell me. I was just talking to someone about the extra fluid after install. I can't for the life of me remember how much it took. I was guessing an extra quart but I'd have to look it up. They're a pretty straight forward install.

white
    2002 z28

no flushing thoe right just adding

black
    2002 WS6

Just add, no flush needed.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Mount the cooler "dope style", that is if you are looking at the nose of the car, the cooler will go behind the passenger turn signal, to the left of the air dam. You can make two small holes into the top of the air dam to run the cooler lines.

If you have an automatic transmission, their is a pressure port (1/8NPT) towards the top side of the case where the linkage is.

SteveC

white
    2002 z28

dude your the man

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    im now looking into a big stall for my car and was told to get one of these. it looks simple soo im asking how is it installed? any modifactions? what the best brand? and how much extra ATF should i add?

and how would i hook up a trans TEMP guage to it?

here's how i installed a trans cooler on my 00 formula.

Mounted the transmission cooler in front of the condenser. Hayden 404 is the part number. Held in with two of the supplied plastic tie straps.

These are the original lines from the factory. The long one is the return line that is bolted into the topside of the radiator. The shorter one is the supply line and is bolted to the bottom of the radiator.

Make two cuts as shown to get the supply line off the hard line.

This is where you remove the factory lines off the hard lines. Then you connect two (2) four feet of 3/8" rubber line of high pressure hose to them. The transmission cooler comes with a six foot piece. Just not enough for the way I routed it.

I routed the lines from the hard line around the radiator through the plastic cover as seen here.

Had to cut a hole in the plastic side deflector so, I could bring the rubber hoses around to the front side where I put the transmission cooler.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

white
    2002 z28

woow great install write up, thats soo much help.

Red
    98 Trans Am

ANy chance of getting those pics to work again?

Nevermind. Saw how old this one was. Probably a no go lol

Ralley Red/Black Top
    2000 Camaro SS, 2006 GTO

mrr23 any chance you could send me the write up with pics if you have them got a trans cooler I want to install thanks

98 Formula
    06 duramax

It's a pretty simple install really. I put mine in front of the radiator which required a couple more feet of hose than what the kit had (don't use heater hose). Chase the lines from the tranny and just behind/under the radiator they go from hard lines to rubber lines. The line with the compression fitting is your high pressure line coming from the tranny to the radiator. The other line with the clamp is your return to the tranny.
    You want it to go from the tranny into the radiator....from the radiator to your cooler....from the cooler back to the tranny. So you take the out from the radiator and run that to your cooler and then from the cooler back to the hardline with the clamp. Done.

NBM
    99 TA

Here is my install:
    I mounted mine infront of the A/C condenser.

I was initially told the stock lines were 3/8", so thats what I bought originally and hooked it up. It didn't leak for a couple days, but 2 days ago, got under the car again and saw it was leaking (I originally bypassed the stock cooler, but had decided to run it in series since KS weather is so fickle - the 70266 does not have the cold temp bypass feature that the 70264 and others do).
    Anyways, i realized the stock line is actually 5/16" (printed on the hose).
    So my setup and routing:
    The lower line is the input on the stock cooler (so that line doesn't get touched).
    For the upper (output) line, if you follow the hard line down, it turns into a rubber line and is clamped right after it goes horizontal at about the level of the lower portion of the radiator, unclamp that and add your B&M in series.
    From the rubber stock hose -> barbed 5/16" fitting -> barbed 3/8" fitting->3/8" hose ->mandrel bent 3/8" elbow ->1/2" - 3/8" reducer -> B&M cooler -> 1/2" - 3/8" reducer into a mandrel bent 3/8" elbow -> 3/8" trans oil line -> barbed 3/8" fitting -> barbed 5/16" fitting -> 5/16" hose -> stock hardline.

If I were to do it over again, it would just require 1/2" to 5/16" reducer, then 5/16" line...but I already had it mounted and lines run, so I didn't feel like redoing it all.

If you plan on bypassing the stock cooler, just unscrew the 2 lines from the stock cooler, slip on and clamp 5/16" line on the lower line (the thread portion can be pushed back). For the top (return line), unclamp the line like mentioned above and slip a 5/16" hose over the hardline.

Here is a pick of the stock cooler bypassed:

If you want to cap the stock cooler so it doesn't get dirty in it, it uses 1/2"-20x5/16" tube plugs.

To have a cleaner setup than I did, you will want to buy:
    1. 5/16" ID transmission oil hose from any auto parts store (I bought 10' just because I did not want to be short, but probably could of gotten away with 7' by what I had left over)
    2. Four hose clamps
    3. transmission cooler mounting kit (if you don't already have one) (similar to this one: http://www.amazon.com/80278-Transmis.../dp/B00029WR7S)
    4. One 5/16" to 5/16" barbed coupler (should be at parts stores) - to connect the outline from the stock cooler to the in-line on the B&M.
    5. 1/2" to 5/16" reducers/elbow - your choice on how you do this, you can pick up some pieces from Lowes or NAPA (the places I checked), but those are 90 degree bends. I had to go to a local automotive motorsports store to find the mandrel bent elbows I used, which are suppose to allow for smoother flow. I am not sure if they make one from 1/2" to 5/16" (I used 1/2" to 3/8" and down the line, reduced to the 5/16").
    6. 1-2 quarts of ATF Dextron III transmission fluid.
    7. two grommets - optional, but I felt it was safer. I used a PCV grommet I found at Oreily's that fit the line perfectly.
    8. 1 zip tie just to make sure the hoses didn't move (but there wasn't much play without the zip tie)
    9. 1 jug coolant (if you drain the radiator during the install).

I believe that is everything...I will add more later if I think of something.
    Last edited by peterlawl84; 02-24-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Thread Information