Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How does a stall work???

This is a discussion on How does a stall work??? within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; I kinda like the feeling of stomping people into the ground...

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

I kinda like the feeling of stomping people into the ground

black
    2000 ws6

Go test drive a trailblazer. My girl bought one (theyre real nice) and it has the 4.2 liter 270hp inline 6. Well tell ya what that fucking thing is stalled from the factory big time. It seems like it almost has a 3000 stall in it. So go find one to test drive then drive your car.. You'll soon see the difference in different stall speeds.

by the way.. A stall does a lot more then just act as a clutch. When the converter is stalled to say 3500 rpms and your sitting at the line waiting to lauch, that converter will double your torque to the ground from the engine while it is stalled. This is why the stall makes auto cars launch so fucking hard when they have traction, not just beucase it gets you into the torque band but it doubles it off the line while its stalled!! When the vehicle speed catches up to the converter speed you lose this advantage but it still helps keep the revs higher through the shifts.

If you had a manual and where lauching at 3500rpms it would get you into the torque band of the engine however only the normal torque of the engine will be produced. A stalled auto > then any 6 speed at the strip.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by got-a-ls1 View Post
    Go test drive a trailblazer. My girl bought one (theyre real nice) and it has the 4.2 liter 270hp inline 6. Well tell ya what that fucking thing is stalled from the factory big time. It seems like it almost has a 3000 stall in it. So go find one to test drive then drive your car.. You'll soon see the difference in different stall speeds.

by the way.. A stall does a lot more then just act as a clutch. When the converter is stalled to say 3500 rpms and your sitting at the line waiting to lauch, that converter will double your torque to the ground from the engine while it is stalled. This is why the stall makes auto cars launch so fucking hard when they have traction, not just beucase it gets you into the torque band but it doubles it off the line while its stalled!! When the vehicle speed catches up to the converter speed you lose this advantage but it still helps keep the revs higher through the shifts.

If you had a manual and where lauching at 3500rpms it would get you into the torque band of the engine however only the normal torque of the engine will be produced. A stalled auto > then any 6 speed at the strip.
    wow that was like the best explanation here! thanks man.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I have a 3k stall (2.0 STR) coupled to 3.73 gears, and you will notice more slippage if you have the stock 2.73 or 3.23 gears.

Under aggressive throttle, the 3.73's spool up the rpm's quicker, so you go from farfignugen to fukenmovin quicker. I also believe you get better shift extension with 3.73's because when you come out of the shift, the lower ratio gears set the rpm's higher (500 rpm) over the 3.23's

JMHO

SteveC

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Z28 Convertible

Hey im curious, how do your all's trannys seem to be holding up? Any chance of damange, not from the extra heat but I mean from dumping so much more power on it at once, just wondering if it can handle it ya know.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Hey im curious, how do your all's trannys seem to be holding up? Any chance of damange, not from the extra heat but I mean from dumping so much more power on it at once, just wondering if it can handle it ya know.
    i do know a person that put a 4800 (forgot the exact number, somewhere between 4 and 5k) stall on a dodge intrepid. no reason at all. transmission basically fell out.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

it didnt..
    meet my new performabuilt transmission

it was my fault mostly, I knew what I needed but I listened to the dumbass that rebuilt my transmission. I had supplied a transmission cooler when he rebuilt it but he didnt put it in because there was "no room for it" and he said "the factory cooler will be just fine" yeah just fine for 9000 miles..

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    wow that was like the best explanation here! thanks man.
    that was in the links i supplied

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Thumbs up

I have a stock transmission, with a TransGo shift kit (#3 washer) coupled to a Superior race grade 2-4 servo. I had the TM deleted with a dyno tune.

The trick is to keep the trans fluid running cool, I have a 24K B&M transmission cooler with a B&M 3 Qt deeper pan. The stock Camaro setup, the transmission temperature is around 180F, with my setup on the freeway, I run anywhere from 115-135F, in town on a hot day 165F. I live in a very warm climate in southern california.

I have had this setup with my 3K stall and 3.73 rearend gears for over 2 years, with absolutly no problems whatsoever.

SteveC

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    it didnt..
    meet my new performabuilt transmission

Click for full size

it was my fault mostly, I knew what I needed but I listened to the dumbass that rebuilt my transmission. I had supplied a transmission cooler when he rebuilt it but he didnt put it in because there was "no room for it" and he said "the factory cooler will be just fine" yeah just fine for 9000 miles..
    I mounted my cooler "dope style" behind the front passenger side turn signal to the left of the black air dam (when you are looking at the nose of the vehicle). There are 2 holes in the air dam (not visable) where the shop ran the braided hoses.

SteveC

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

yeah I have my car all apart right now and dont see mounting the cooler to be much of an issue

I'm on 5 or 6 forums and this is the best thread I have found for explaining stalled autos. I hope the moderator / administrator considers making this thread permanent. Good job!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information