JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

How do u get the converter in all the way???

Ive blown a pump not putting it in all the way b4....and im hoping to god not to do it this time....Ive had this tranny out of the fucking car 5 times since ive had the car...I finally got my tranny built again and my stall fixed and it had been sitting around for over a yr....

How do u get the converter in all the way??? It looks like the cap in the middle is hitting the flywheel.....and htere is a huge gap between the spot where the converter bolts go through.....We got bolts all away around the bell housing but havnt started torquing em down yet cuz Im afraid its not in all the way....

I know its a commonly asked question but can someone help????

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

Pewter
    2000 T/A WS-6

Just turn the converter a few times while pushing in on it and you will hear and feel it click into place. I cant remember if it clicks two or three times though. good luck.

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

Im positive its 3 times....but All these guys at this dealership that work on fords are swearing all I have to do is line up the marks on the converter with the pump.....

I kept spinning it and trying to push it in and I could only get it so far in

Pewter
    2001 Z28 CP

hey Frank what up?? well you need to make sure you spin that thing and lightly push (with tranny down) until you here it clunck about 3 times, i just installed mine last week spin it back and forth till it seats all the way down. then once you bolt the tranny back up and tighten the bolts down thread the bolts into the converter and torque them down and it will properly seat the converter against the flywheel and you are done man, in there like a papsmear

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

haha that u stevo?

Pewter
    2001 Z28 CP

yes sir it is

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I'll start by saying I broke a front pump once also. grrrr...it sucks.
    Well ok, if the trans is sitting on a bench on its oil pan then I usually stick the converter in the pump and slightly pull it out and push it in while spinning it. I'm doing that to find the location where the pump lugs line up with the converter. It'll slip in when its lined up.
    To check if its in all the way, I have several methods. One is I push on the converter and spin it. On some of the 4L60e's the converter will slightly rub against the bellhousing when its push in like that. Other checks I do, is make SURE the lugs on the converter (where the flexplate bolt to it) are sunken below the surface of the bellhousing usually about 1/2" or so. Also try to stick your fingers behind the converter. You shouldn't be able to get your fingers close to behind the converter if it in all the way.
    Still not sure? Carefully install the transmission. As you snug up the bolts, check to make sure the converter still spins freely. It'll lock up solid if its not in all the way.

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

thats what I was thinkin about the 3 clunks like stevo said....Thats some good advice too cutlass.....

I had my car at my buddies dealership so we could use his airtools and lift and all of his friends gathered around and pretty much told me I didnt know what I was talkin about with turning it and hearing 3 clunks....

Will u be able to pull the converter out at all when all the way in without spinning it?

I think Im gonna have a hell of a gap from the flywheel to where the converter bolts go in

blue
    2000ss

If the gap is more than 1/8 inch you need to add a washer between the converter and each bolt hole, If the converter has to much space or to little it can damage the pump.
    as a rule you want 1/8 inch with the converter fully seated against back of the pump.
    FREE COOLER/SHIPING, NO CORE OR CHARGE,2YR WARRANTY, CUST TRACK VIDEOS click banner 4 website, CALL or text 570-578-5686 7 days a week 9 am till 10 pm.

Thread Information