Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

How do I change the filter on my 4l60e tranny?

how much fluid does it hold ? Is it 5 ? also do I need to flush it out ?
    Last edited by Speedy_Gonzales; 02-02-2008 at 06:22 AM.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

I found this write-up:

mrr23
    01-07-2006, 07:09 PM
    transmission filter is inside the transmission. you have to remove the pan to get it. there's no drain plug to drain the fluid. you'll need a very large catch pan to minimize the mess. you'll need a 13mm socket and ratchet to do this. and yes, this is messy.

lift the car up and support it safely. once done, then start removing the 13mm bolts around the pan one at a time. work towards the right rear corner from both directions. start at the left front corner. have your drain pan ready. as you remove the bolts, some fluid will start coming out. finally, you'll have one bolt left in the right rear corner. the pan will have some down some by now and fluid coming out. start removing the last bolt slowly. as you do this, the pan will start lowering from the left front corner. this helps minimize the mess. fluid will start pouring out. finally, you'll end up just about completely removing the bolt. at this point, most of the fluid will be out of the pan. now, support the pan with one hand. remove the last bolt and pull the pan down. you'll see the filter. just wiggle it out. more fluid will come out.

install new filter with a little trans fluid on the shaft. this will help push it back in place. clean the pan. you'll notice a square object stuck on the pan. it's a magnet. install new pan gasket. reinstall pan. don't super tighten the bolts. also, you'll notice two bolts are longer than the rest. those go back where the shifter cable bracket bolts to the pan. once done, add 5 quarts of your favorite fluid. start car. with foot on brakes, go thorugh each gear selection one at a time. all the down, then back up. recheck fluid. 5 quarts is all it takes, but recheck anyway. while its still running, look under the car for leaks. if all's well, then shut car off and remove from supports.

last. clean up and find a place to dispose of fluid.

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

That’s pretty much it; if you plan on changing the filter regularly then I highly recommend an after market Trans pan that has a drain plug installed. It makes the job much cleaner and easier. Also most give the benefit of extra fluid capacity and/or fins or tubes for cooling.
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

Silver
    1998 Camaro SS

If the O-ring off your old filter doesn't come out, but still looks good. Don't try to take it out.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Like said above you can actualy buy a Plug "kit", so you can drill a hole in your existing pan and add a drain plug to make life easier in the future. I wouldnt worry too much about flushing it out but keep in mind ifyou want to get all of your fluid out of the Torque converter and all you will need to have it flushed.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Like said above you can actualy buy a Plug "kit", so you can drill a hole in your existing pan and add a drain plug to make life easier in the future. I wouldnt worry too much about flushing it out but keep in mind ifyou want to get all of your fluid out of the Torque converter and all you will need to have it flushed.
    J

how much are the plug kits ?

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

B&M Drain Plug

Around $10

Thread Information