Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

High stall torque conv what is the diff.

This is a discussion on High stall torque conv what is the diff. within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Originally Posted by nhraformula I have to disagree with you as i have a stock suspension. While the car doesnt ...

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    I have to disagree with you as i have a stock suspension. While the car doesnt have the best traction on the street, a good burnout at the track along with my BFG drag radials and i hook very well.
    I agree with you about stock suspension. To many people IMO say it is a must. I was running 11.9/11.8's in the 1/4 and cutting 1.7x 60' on stock suspension and ET Streets.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    well looks like a converter is in my future too lol. just been wondering whats good for me. looks like ill be looking into either a 3200 or a 3400. id like it to hit hard with out eating too much of my DD car
    Get some recommendations on STR's, which in a nutshell dictates how hard the converter hits.
    Mine is a 3400 with a 2.1 STR. If I snap the throttle just off idle, I'd say it's a fairly hard hitting converter. Makes it a bit tricky to launch on street tires, takes a bit of finess. Perfect for a sticky tire though.

If I remember right, the lower the STR the harder the converter hits??? It might be the other way around, I'm having a brain fart.

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    I agree with you about stock suspension. To many people IMO say it is a must. I was running 11.9/11.8's in the 1/4 and cutting 1.7x 60' on stock suspension and ET Streets.
    I'm a stock suspension kind of guy myself, on all the cars whether it be leaf spring, 4 link coil, or these torque arm setups.

They can be made to work and work well without spending alot of money on them. All that aftermarket stuff adds weight anyway

I do simple things on the 4th gens like boxing in the stock lower control arms and panhard bar. I prefer to keep the stock rubber bushings in these areas for a quieter ride. From there it's as simple as changing the instant center, adjusting the pinion angle if needed, and some adjustable shocks are a nice bonus.
    Ran 1.5x 60 foot times on my buddies 4th gen like this on a 175 shot.
    My auto with a 3400 stall and 3.23's, no suspension tricks at all, stock stuff,,,went 1.92 on stock rubber without trying hard. A few tweaks and I think it would go a tad quicker, and sticky tires would knock it down for sure.
    They work decent for what they are.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I'm a stock suspension kind of guy myself, on all the cars whether it be leaf spring, 4 link coil, or these torque arm setups.

They can be made to work and work well without spending alot of money on them. All that aftermarket stuff adds weight anyway

I do simple things on the 4th gens like boxing in the stock lower control arms and panhard bar. I prefer to keep the stock rubber bushings in these areas for a quieter ride. From there it's as simple as changing the instant center, adjusting the pinion angle if needed, and some adjustable shocks are a nice bonus.
    Ran 1.5x 60 foot times on my buddies 4th gen like this on a 175 shot.
    My auto with a 3400 stall and 3.23's, no suspension tricks at all, stock stuff,,,went 1.92 on stock rubber without trying hard. A few tweaks and I think it would go a tad quicker, and sticky tires would knock it down for sure.
    They work decent for what they are.
    Yeah I have tried telling people that. The aftermarket stuff does add weight.. Oh well..

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Unless doing serious racing, no need for upgraded suspensions IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    If I remember right, the lower the STR the harder the converter hits??? It might be the other way around, I'm having a brain fart.
    The higher the STR the "tighter" it is and harder hitting.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information