BLACK
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

help!!! trans won't engage into any gear

hi, i was driving my car today something in the trans went out. i was taking off from a red light and the car went to shift from first to second and it was like it went into neutral. it will not go into any gear. it did not make any noises what so ever. the car does have yank stall in it. there is no metal in the trans. towed it to a friends shop and pulled the rubber plug on the bottom of the trans and inspected the flywheel and converter and visually they look fine. the converter is a refreshed 3600. would it be likely its the converter or the trans??does anybody have any ideas where to start??? any help would be appreciated.
    thanks,mike

hugger orange

is the fluid burnt or low?
    sounds exactly like what mine did when the sprag went out.
    it cost me about $2,500 in parts to get the best of the best and strongest parts possible.
    Raptor R input kit (with Beast sun shell)
    HD sprag
    5 pin planets
    Transgo shift kit
    kevlar race clutches and band
    and a few other parts

Performabuilt has built up trannys starting around $1400

I have a stock rebuilt tranny with stock stall for $500

BLACK
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

Trans won't go into any gear

i forgot to say what type of car in my post. its a 2002 trans am with the 4l60e trans. it has a yank stall converter in it. one minute it was shifting fine the next it will not go into any gear. when this happened it made no noises at all. it just won't engage into any gear.nobody has any ideas what could have happened???i had the car towed to a buddy's shop and he thinks its the pump. any opinions of what it could be would be appreciated

hugger orange

my car was running fine. I pulled out of the driveway on my way to work shifted 1st, 2nd, 3rd, hit drive and then it was just like it went into neutral......tried all gears and nothing.
    waited about 5 minutes started car and went 1st, then 2nd, after that it was gone again......took 3 launches and cool downs to get it home.
    I had sprag shavings through everything (clogged the pump).

it sounds just like what happened to you

BLACK
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

What caused my transmission pump to blow up

i have a 02 trans am with 40,000 miles on it. it has a 3400 stall converter in it and the transmission pressure is adjusted a little bit higher. i was taking off from a redlight and the car went to shift from first to second and it was like the car went into neutral. it will not engage into any gear. i just don't want to put a new pump in and it blow again. has any one else had any problems with their transmission blowing a pump. any ideas would be appreciated.

BLACK
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

trans pump blown

hi guys, someone has had to have similar problems. please give me some advice what i can do so it does not happen again.
    my tuner said that it shouldn't be the the line pressures because he never maxes out the pressures. he said everything he did to the trans tuning would only help the trans. i beleieve him because he is a well known and tunes many vehicles. my mechanic said that with this stall converter in that the shifts shouldn't be super crisp because of the stall. however the shifts from first to second will snap your head off like i have a shift kit in. because of the super firm shifts he thinks the line pressures could be to high. we did have trouble when we first installed the converter. it did not want to go all the way into the 3rd spot into the pump. we finally got the converter to seat right. the converter is a older yank thats been refreshed by yank. i did notice a slight vibration when in park and reving the engine. i assume that the converters a little out of balance. this is gonna cost me a pretty penny to have the trans pulled and installed and don't want it to happen again. i was gonna have a cam installed with money i saved, but now its going to be spent on this problem. please keep your ideas of what happened to my trans pump blowing. thanks

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Just curious, do you have a tranny cooler on there?

Black
    Y2K Camero SS

explain "when we first installed the converter. it did not want to go all the way into the 3rd spot into the pump. we finally got the converter to seat right. "
    I woulld think it was coupled into the 3 rd spot OR not coupled at all. how many miles driver after last install ?
    " transmission pressure is adjusted a little bit higher"
    what is a little bit?
    "was taking off from a redlight and the car went to shift from first to second " were you pushing it or just normal driveing ?
    Johnny
    Y2K SS (SLP #239)
    Completly STOCK heads/bore/stroke/weight
    & NOTHING else ---is stock
    "NAW-NAW- just a Sunday goto meeting car, my best time is not in the 12's------- any more "
    ps: I am not soliticing work as I am retired
    >>>info on alignments
    http://www.jgruggles.com

BLACK
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

trans pump blown

thanks for the replies.
    yes i have a hayden trans cooler on the car. the converter just gave us a hard time going all the way in to the trans. we finally got it to seat right. yes, when i was taking off from the red-light i was getting on it a little. i did not burn the tires or anything like that. i started off slow and then floored the car and then that's when it must of blown. i might have put 300 miles max on the car since the converter install and the tune being done.
    it was the trans pump because my mechanic called my about a hour ago and said hes got it all put together and it goes into all the gears. he thinks my line pressure is to high because of the way it shifts from first to second. it feels like there is a shift kit. the tuner assured me he did not adjust it to high. he tunes a lot of vehicles and has a excellent reputation. i

BLACK
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

trans pump blown

hey guys just wanted to let you know what happened. it was the pump. the impeller had detonated. my mechanic sent it across the street to a converter builder and they checked the converter and trans and they said it was okay. i think i have my shift points and shift pressures adjusted to high. my stall is a yank ss3,400 but stalls closer to a 4,000 stall. i know that my first to second shifts should not rip my head off. i will see what my tuner says and if he will adjust the shift points and pressure for me. i will keep you up-dated. i am actually afraid to drive the car. i actually only put a little over a hundred miles on the car since the stall was installed and the tuning done. let me know what can cause the impeller to detonate.
    thanks

Thread Information