Results 1 to 10 of 10

funky 3rd to 4th shifting

This is a discussion on funky 3rd to 4th shifting within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; When i get on my 02 ss a4 from slow speed, the shifting is real slow going from 3rd to ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member wu802's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    maine
    Posts
    27

    red
    2002 ss camaro

    funky 3rd to 4th shifting

    When i get on my 02 ss a4 from slow speed, the shifting is real slow going from 3rd to 4th , it sounds like it's taking a long time transitioning to 4th and the final thing with the torque conv. It's stays revved up way to long and then slowly drops back on the rpms. It definitely doesn't sound right especially when taching up high. any thoughts? I miss my 6 spd.

  2. #2
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Mileage? Have you ever had it flushed or changed the fuild just in the pan?
    Maybe have the tranny scanned to see if there's some sort of issue.. Possibly have it reprogrammed and see if that corrects the issue...
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  3. #3
    Junior Member wu802's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    maine
    Posts
    27

    red
    2002 ss camaro

    car has 30k on it, i bought it in sept. from a dealer, had a 30 day warranty but was 500 miles away. don't know if anything was done, could be a program issue. Getting late in season i will probably wait till spring, i could ask the local gm dlr if there were any bulletins on the transmission.

  4. #4
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by wu802 View Post
    car has 30k on it, i bought it in sept. from a dealer, had a 30 day warranty but was 500 miles away. don't know if anything was done, could be a program issue. Getting late in season i will probably wait till spring, i could ask the local gm dlr if there were any bulletins on the transmission.
    Sounds like a good idea. Check your fluid level too.

  5. #5
    Senior Member JaycenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Holiday,FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,378

    Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

    anytime you by an auto trans car you change the fluid and filter in the trans. Even if it was done 2 days earlier by the seller. Flushing will not clean the filter as much as they claim it will it will not. pulled tones of pans after friends had "flushes" and then had problems with the trans and the filters are dirty again. Change the fluid and the filter then have them flush it. Then change the filter and refill the fluid again 2 months later. I usually beat the piss out of them and have no problems untill after 127k

  6. #6
    Senior Member JaycenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Holiday,FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,378

    Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

    Did it sit for a long period of time?

  7. #7
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    anytime you by an auto trans car you change the fluid and filter in the trans. Even if it was done 2 days earlier by the seller. Flushing will not clean the filter as much as they claim it will it will not. pulled tones of pans after friends had "flushes" and then had problems with the trans and the filters are dirty again. Change the fluid and the filter then have them flush it. Then change the filter and refill the fluid again 2 months later. I usually beat the piss out of them and have no problems untill after 127k
    If A shop is doing a trany flush without changing the filter you need to find another shop! I've never heard of a shop that does flushes with out replacing the filter (kind of pointless). If a proper flush harms your trany then there is something else wrong with it.. I've been having trannies flushed for years too, and have owned 4 f-bodies over the years and numerous other vehicles.. Never heard of a shop that makes the claim you've stated, about a flush cleaning a filter.. The tranny flushes I've had done the old filter is'nt even present and is done by a machine..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-14-2009 at 12:46 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member JaycenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Holiday,FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,378

    Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    If A shop is doing a trany flush without changing the filter you need to find another shop! I've never heard of a shop that does flushes with out replacing the filter (kind of pointless). If a proper flush harms your trany then there is something else wrong with it.. I've been having trannies flushed for years too, and have owned 4 f-bodies over the years and numerous other vehicles.. Never heard of a shop that makes the claim you've stated, about a flush cleaning a filter.. The tranny flushes I've had done the old filter is'nt even present and is done by a machine..
    You would be surprised; almost every shop around me flushes them with out changing the filter because they claim they are flushing the filter as well. I had it done 2 times and each time I then dropped the pan and inspected the filter and it was not clean so I replaced it. Even dealerships do it here. That’s way I have to do everything on my cars trucks boats house and hell even my own medical treatments. It is insane and it is spreading like wild fire across the country.
    I’m not making this shit up. I wish I was for that matter but I live in the land of dip shits. This is the way it is pitched to me every time I go in to have tires mounted or balanced. And I never go to the same place twice cause the find a way to fuck that up as well.
    Last edited by JaycenK; 11-14-2009 at 06:21 PM.

  9. #9
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    You would be surprised; almost every shop around me flushes them with out changing the filter because they claim they are flushing the filter as well. I had it done 2 times and each time I then dropped the pan and inspected the filter and it was not clean so I replaced it. Even dealerships do it here. Thatís way I have to do everything on my cars trucks boats house and hell even my own medical treatments. It is insane and it is spreading like wild fire across the country.
    Iím not making this shit up. I wish I was for that matter but I live in the land of dip shits. This is the way it is pitched to me every time I go in to have tires mounted or balanced. And I never go to the same place twice cause the find a way to fuck that up as well.
    Daym that sucks..

  10. #10
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,997

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    My shop offers 2 different transmission services.
    One is the traditional fluid and filter change where you drop the pan, clean it out, replace the filter, put it all back together and add about 6 quarts of new ATF.
    The Second (more common now) is the transmission flush. This one flushes about 16 quarts of new ATF. Its a machine that hooks into one of the cooler lines. Then you start the engine and the transmission will start pumping fluid into the machine and which moves a piston to push fluid back into the trans.
    We make no claims of flushing/cleaning the filter or trans pans. It does however make a noticeable difference in how clean the actual ATF in the trans is. So its better in that way the a simple pan drop, but you don't get a new filter. Its a trade off and on certain FWD transmissions, its the ONLY trans service option.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How to remove a funky smell???
    By War Theory in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 07:33 PM
  2. Funky orange shocks
    By 2002ssslp in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2011, 05:59 AM
  3. Funky Noise
    By richard head in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-04-2008, 08:14 PM
  4. funky clutch feel
    By SilverBelter in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-06-2006, 08:59 PM
  5. Funky exhaust smell
    By Tobynine9 in forum General Help
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-06-2005, 07:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •