Thread: FTI 3600 stall

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

FTI 3600 stall

HI guys Im looking at a couple stall converters my car is an 02 z28 with 3.42's and full bolt ons no cam or headwork yet. The ones I've got my eye on are a 3200 circle d and the above 3600 fti I know yank converters are supposed to be good but from what ive seen on youtube they seem to be loose along with precision industries. I havent seen the circle d really drive around just heard its a good budget converter like i said i was originally steering away from 3600 stalls because i thought they would be too loose but since I saw this one and now that i have gears i think i might like it just looking for some opinions.

http://www.circledspecialties.com/p-...converter.aspx circle d

fti 3600: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN6ChKCqCLQ[/ame]

yank 3600 looks loose:[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsW9wOsbQ4s[/ame]

Well what those videos don't tell you is the rest of the combination along with it,,,,like cam specs and the gear ratio they are running.

All of which will affect how loose a particular converter drives. You can put the same converter in a car with 3.23 gears and it will drive around much looser than the same converter in a car with 3.73's. Weight is another important factor not mentioned. Heavier cars also push the same converter harder, hence it will feel looser.

Loose isn't bad when it comes to these cars, they don't make alot of torque anyway, and they lock up once above 38 mph in a stock tune. That usually gets moved up higher however when a cam is involved.

I can tell you my Fuddle 3400 drives around much like that Yank does in the second video, but I'm running 3.23 gears with it and a stock cam, so it's a little more torquey down low and the gears work the converter a bit harder to push the car around town.

You'll have to look at the total package, and generally you want to pick a converter that is centered around the camshaft you want to run, not the other way around.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

oh i hear ya jones i know all that stuff will affect how it drives the lt1 with the yank has 3.73s and a mild cam so i know that maybe a little off and the top one has 3.42s and idk about the cam i messaged him so we'll see what he says. this is my dd so i dont want it to be un-streetable how is ur gas mileage after the 3400 and it is ok to drive every day? what rpms are u doing to keep up with traffic? thing is i dont wanna go too small and not get the benefits and fun factor but i dont wanna go too big and hate it. I kno the general rule is pick the speed u want and then go one higher lol.

I can keep mine around 2,000-2,300 leaving a stop light and stay with traffic, and it locks up at 38 mph. I can get more aggressive with the throttle and push it to ~2800 or so leaving a stop light if I really want to.

Around town, driving it easy as I first mentioned, I get 20 mpg. I was getting 22 mpg with the stock stall. I can get a little more aggressive around town having some fun and it drops to 18-19 mpg.
    On the highway it's unchanged, since it's locked, I still get 25-26 mpg highway.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

thanks jones im actually still kinda torn with this now i can get an ls6 shortblock with 5k miles on it cheap like under a grand and then i could just buy some 799/243 heads and throw it in my car which currently has 119k on it so in the end id be out around 1200 after other things like gaskets and fluids. However my motor runs great cross hatching still in the bore burns no oil etc. Bottom line is idk which one i wanna do the stall would gain et at the track but the ls6 has power on its side...what are ur opinions

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    thanks jones im actually still kinda torn with this now i can get an ls6 shortblock with 5k miles on it cheap like under a grand and then i could just buy some 799/243 heads and throw it in my car which currently has 119k on it so in the end id be out around 1200 after other things like gaskets and fluids. However my motor runs great cross hatching still in the bore burns no oil etc. Bottom line is idk which one i wanna do the stall would gain et at the track but the ls6 has power on its side...what are ur opinions
    That's a tough one For immediate fun, the stall would be quicker and easier to install and increase the fun factor.
    It's something you will probably want to have at some point anyway, even after an engine swap. Then build an engine later as time and money permits, while yours is still running strong it can still be driven....It's up to you.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Ya lol thats what my buddys keep telling me too especially cuz its not that high of mileage for an ls1. The ls6 isnt going anywhere its at my buddies house who owns a race shop and im pretty much the only one who knows its there so theres really no rush. But you do have a point i think a stall would be fun and it is on the mod list anyway eventually.

Thread Information