Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

FLT or Extreme Automatics?

This is a discussion on FLT or Extreme Automatics? within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; There are stock T56's out there running in the 9's which I'm sure you guys know. That's just borrowed time ...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

There are stock T56's out there running in the 9's which I'm sure you guys know. That's just borrowed time though, but shows how stout that transmission is if driven and maintained properly despise its inherent issues.
    It's on jackstands.

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Where are your alternators $40? Mine are like $140 lol. I think most do it because they are lazy as well and don't want to spend the time on it to rebuild them.

Too bad a Corvette t56 won't work, I found one starting at $100 lol.
    You are talking about newer high amp stuff. I'm talking about 45 year old 60 amp alternators on classic cars

However that whole discussion doesn't change though, if my alternator ever died on my 4th gen, I'd be looking for a rebuild kit, especially since the alternator itself fetches such a ridiculous amount of money. A rebuild kit shouldn't be more than $25-$30 for that alternator.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    There are stock T56's out there running in the 9's which I'm sure you guys know. That's just borrowed time though, but shows how stout that transmission is if driven and maintained properly despise its inherent issues.
    Eh, there's alot more to it than that. Weight of the car has alot to do with it. Most of that stuff is sub 3,000 lbs. Much easier on driveline parts. However I've seen them snap the output shafts in a little 3100 lbs car with a stock 5.3 in front of it, a simple high 12 second car Keep in mind they are only rated to about 450 ft lbs. in stock form. When you go shocking the trans with clutch dumps it's just not going to last long. Whimpy 27 spline output, same size as the small 350 turbos if that gives you any idea. That's why it was upgraded to a 31-32 spline when installed in the viper (think 400 turbo size ) Then there were upgrades throughout production runs like 1st and 2nd gear upgrades for more strength etc...which happened around 2000-2001. I've seen them completely sheer off the teeth on 2nd gear power shifts, full weight 11 second cars.

Look at the muncies back in the day, especially early 70's when Super Stock was formed. Plenty of chevy's (Grumpy for instance) still running Muncies and dipping into the 10's back then. It wasn't a bulletproof combination, those guys broke shit

If you have a serious 9 or 10 second car, then a serious T56 needs to be behind that, or better yet, a G-force, Doug Nash, or Jerico etc...
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 03-20-2014 at 06:58 AM.

Here's some neat stuff. I'll use Mark as an example. This is a full weight stock body real deal 69 Z28, still running the little DZ 302 in the UMTR event (I sure miss this racing)

He originally ran the muncie but it wasn't reliable at this abuse level. Shifting at about 8500 and he dumps the clutch at 8,000, the car goes 10.70's at 127-128 mph with either a 4.88 or 5.13 gear. Eventually he had to switch over to a Doug Nash 5 speed for reliability, which he is running in this shot.

Here's an outside shot in action...

Here's another in car pass

Outside view of same pass above

Here's an older pass still with a 4 speed, lots of tire spin still sorting the car out.

Here's a pass with a quick short shift to 2nd, lots of tire spin in first.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Cool stuff FBJ! I am definitely going to hook my go pro up on my hood mount and record my runs once I hit the track after completing my build.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Cool stuff FBJ! I am definitely going to hook my go pro up on my hood mount and record my runs once I hit the track after completing my build.
    Yeah it definately gives you a different perspective, pretty neat. We didn't have that stuff when I was racing. Lucky back then to have a snap shot, once in a while my father would drag out the giant VHS camera to bring along and record but it was like lugging around a 25 lbs suitcase. After a while you had to set it up on the tri-pod because your shoulder would get tired, lol.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Eh, there's alot more to it than that. Weight of the car has alot to do with it. Most of that stuff is sub 3,000 lbs. Much easier on driveline parts. However I've seen them snap the output shafts in a little 3100 lbs car with a stock 5.3 in front of it, a simple high 12 second car Keep in mind they are only rated to about 450 ft lbs. in stock form. When you go shocking the trans with clutch dumps it's just not going to last long. Whimpy 27 spline output, same size as the small 350 turbos if that gives you any idea. That's why it was upgraded to a 31-32 spline when installed in the viper (think 400 turbo size ) Then there were upgrades throughout production runs like 1st and 2nd gear upgrades for more strength etc...which happened around 2000-2001. I've seen them completely sheer off the teeth on 2nd gear power shifts, full weight 11 second cars.

If you have a serious 9 or 10 second car, then a serious T56 needs to be behind that, or better yet, a G-force, Doug Nash, or Jerico etc...
    I'm not disagreeing, but the cars I am talking about are DD cars at full weight. Some of them are pushing 700, 800, and more HP/TQ to the wheels and still run stock T56's. Not just a few either. Borrowed time of course, but they are

I will say a lot to do with how well a transmission holds up is a) your shifting ability and b) a strong clutch. If you are power shifting, then that will create even more stress/wear. I speed shift...not looking to break any records in Northwest, IN with my car
    Dzel likes this.

I don't doubt it, I've had some stout street cars with old muncie's in them that were on borrowed time as well, but I put it together that way because that's what I have laying around. Muncies were a dime a dozen back then.

It's good for a few banzi passes to see what the car could do, but it's not something I'd make a habit of because I've blown the cluster gears right out of the bottom of the cases in those things with high rpm clutch dumps. Tire spin saves parts, but that's no good either, when your 6-700 hp monster gets beat by a 400 hp car. So in essance I had a car that I couldn't enjoy the way I wanted and eventually it would have to be upgraded.

This whole thing is a sickness, and a big domino affect. We all do what our money allows

Hell I ran UMTR a few years back with a muncie because I still have them laying around, but I purposely ran the car in street/stick class which required a DOT tire, so I ran stock street tires while most ran drag radials of some sort. I did that on purpose for the sole reason to save parts because I knew the muncie wouldn't take the weekly abuse for too long on a sticky tire. It was also a Monza, so a lightweight car helped as well. My daily driver to boot so breaking it wasn't high on the list To be truely competetive that muncie needed to go for a G-force trans.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 03-21-2014 at 06:25 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yea, those videos are impressive and I'll admit, I am nowhere near being able to shift like him given my current MC, overall hydraulic factors, and stock T56. While I have upgraded everything else in it, I am still running the stock output shaft...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information