Extra Overdrive, Gear Splitter, Double OD ... Any Options

Does anyone know of a product like this? I'm could be happy enough with a 4 speed auto and the right rear gear for racing, but it leaves me with a loud, gas hog when it comes to highway cruising. Some kind of gear splitter, aftermarket overdrive unit, or the like would make a good add on...if I could find such a thing.

I know about the Gear Vendors unit, but its designed to be a lot more than just a simple extra overdrive, it can split ALL gears, handle over 1200hp, and its very expensive. I would be happy with something simpler and cheaper, if it exists.

Gear vendors is it. They have been around since the 60's making these things if I remember right.

If you want a gear splitter, and an overdrive, they are the way to go. Not really all that expensive either when you think about it and consider what you are getting.
    There are transmission out there twice the money that don't do what a Gear Vendor unit does.

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    I'm could be happy enough with a 4 speed auto and the right rear gear for racing, but it leaves me with a loud, gas hog when it comes to highway cruising.
    What could you possibly be running for a gear to create a gas hog along with an overdrive??

You can easily stick 3.73's or 4.10's in these things, and with a .70 overdrive they are still very comfortable on the highway.

Don't get me started on rear gears in an overdrive car,,,, You guys don't realize how good you have it.

Try 4.88's and no overdrive, I take these cars everywhere.

Black
    Y2K Camero SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    What could you possibly be running for a gear to create a gas hog along with an overdrive??

You can easily stick 3.73's or 4.10's in these things, and with a .70 overdrive they are still very comfortable on the highway.

Don't get me started on rear gears in an overdrive car,,,, You guys don't realize how good you have it.

Try 4.88's and no overdrive, I take these cars everywhere.
    here-here on the 4.88's, back in the 60's wife drove as DD 67 mustang /427/2x4/4.88 no OD, we at the time ran a service station selling reg gas @ 19.9 per gal ,premem @ 24.9 per gal. I do not rember our cost per gal, I was driving 90 miles a nite to machine school and we advadged 4 1/2 -5 mpg. hard to think about that kind of milage today
    Johnny
    Last edited by SS SLP2; 02-11-2011 at 06:55 AM.
    Y2K SS (SLP #239)
    Completly STOCK heads/bore/stroke/weight
    & NOTHING else ---is stock
    "NAW-NAW- just a Sunday goto meeting car, my best time is not in the 12's------- any more "
    ps: I am not soliticing work as I am retired
    >>>info on alignments
    http://www.jgruggles.com

Quote Originally Posted by SS SLP2 View Post
    here-here on the 4.88's, back in the 60's wife drove as DD 67 mustang /427/2x4/4.88 no OD, we at the time ran a service station selling reg gas @ 19.9 per gal ,premem @ 24.9 per gal. I do not rember our cost per gal, I was driving 90 miles a nite to machine school and we advadged 4 1/2 -5 mpg. hard to think about that kind og milage today
    Johnny
    Very cool

I still drive stuff like that today. I just never lost the desire for it.

Ok Ok, so we do have it pretty good already compared to the old days without any overdrive. I imagine those 4.88s had you guys in the High 3xxx RPMs while cruising at 60? That would be rough.

I've just been running some #s and if I step the gears up a bit I could end up cruising at 2700 or so. Speed limits run a bit faster here, I generally cruise at 73mph without any risk of flashing lights in the rear view mirror.
    2700 isn't too bad, but it does cut down the mileage somewhat and its well into the range where my exhaust goes from barely noticeable to loud as hell. Don't get me wrong, around town the radio is off and I love to hear the engine, but on long highway trips its a pain to not be able to hear a conversation with your passengers.
    Taking the overdrive from 0.75 (4l80e or th400) to .55 would get those rpms down to the 2000 range where things are still relatively quiet.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    Ok Ok, so we do have it pretty good already compared to the old days without any overdrive. I imagine those 4.88s had you guys in the High 3xxx RPMs while cruising at 60? That would be rough.

I've just been running some #s and if I step the gears up a bit I could end up cruising at 2700 or so. Speed limits run a bit faster here, I generally cruise at 73mph without any risk of flashing lights in the rear view mirror.
    2700 isn't too bad, but it does cut down the mileage somewhat and its well into the range where my exhaust goes from barely noticeable to loud as hell. Don't get me wrong, around town the radio is off and I love to hear the engine, but on long highway trips its a pain to not be able to hear a conversation with your passengers.
    Taking the overdrive from 0.75 (4l80e or th400) to .55 would get those rpms down to the 2000 range where things are still relatively quiet.
    With the 4.10's in my 67 I was at 55mph @ 3k rpm with a ~26" tall tire...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Thread Information