D, 3, 2, ?.....gear question

This is a discussion on D, 3, 2, ?.....gear question within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; I've been wondering forever why is there no 1st gear option on my automatic? I'm talking about the floor shifter....D,3,2, ...

Green
    1994 Trans Am GTA

D, 3, 2, ?.....gear question

I've been wondering forever why is there no 1st gear option on my automatic? I'm talking about the floor shifter....D,3,2, ?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

I didn't know they made any with out a 1st gear selection.
    Do you have one of those T/A's with 2nd gear start?

Green
    1994 Trans Am GTA

no body can answer this???????

Awaiting Activation

black
    98 Z-28

I got a first, 2,3,and D in a box . I heard all 98 when in 1 start in 1 but 99-02 start in 2 when 1. 2nd is cool but needs to be shifted @2700 rpm. To 3rd and 3rd is good till bout 50 mph before shift to 4th

Green
    1994 Trans Am GTA

still I got 2, 3, D in box.....why is 1st not an option?...so with my shift kit I can't hold 1st cause there is none on box...ugh!

black
    02 vette vert

its not a difference between a 700r4 and a 4l60e is it? i have 1,2,3,o/d. by the way, thats not a d in a box, its a square O on top of the D, for overdrive.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Do you have an aftermarket shift consol or a stock consol? If it's stock I have herd of the shifter getting stuck and not going into the 1 location.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I found this on another website:
    Quote Originally Posted by 94formula350
    My car came with the 2.73:1 rearend and therefore no 1st gear position on the stock shifter, all the 3.23:1 geared cars have shifters that can manually select first gear. What all do I need to change over to a shifter like that? What is everyone else doing about it? I haven't seen any factory auto shifters on eBay so there must not be much of a demand for this. I tried searching for a post here, but no luck. I don't want an aftermarket shifter - just one of the good factory 4th gen ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by SassySue09
    Actually 94Formula350 you do have 1st gear, it's just with the 2.73 gears being able to shift into it has been block by a small plastic piece. To be able to shift into 1st all you need to get a different shift selector plate and do is the following:

You need to take the "top" of the center console off so you have access to under where the gear selector is. Once you have the top off you need to look along the side where the shifter pulls down to select the gears. Looking there down by where 1st gear would be/is you'll see a small piece of plastic (I think it's a white square/rectangle if I remember right). It'll be real close to the very end of the shift selector area. Once you find that small piece of plastic you just need to take something like a cut/box knife or a small hacksaw blade and remove that piece of plastic. Once that piece of plastic is completely out of the way you'll be able to shift the car into 1st without any problems.

After you have that all done, you need to replace the shift plate that doesn't have 1st gear showing on it with one that does have 1st gear select on it.

Now after doing that you just need to reassemble everything and you're good to go with the stock shifter and set up and you'll have 1st gear select on your car.
    http://www.theformulasource.com/foru...howtopic=11425

Green
    1994 Trans Am GTA

very interesting....but why would GM not give that 1st gear option in first place.....there must be some reason.....

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I found this info:
    Quote Originally Posted by www.camarosource.ca
    On cars with automatic trannys and the 2.73 rear (GU2) 1st gear can't be selected because in order to pass the Federal noise pollution tests, GM had to lock out selectable 1st gear. It has to do with downshifting into the lowest selectable gear at some speed as the car goes through the sound traps. With the 3.23 rear end, the required speed is high enough that the tranny won't allow a manual downshift all the way to 1st gear. But with the 2.73 gears, the car will downshift all the way to 1st when manually selected thereby increasing engine and exhaust noise. So GM had to prevent 1st gear from being selected on the 2.73 cars in order to meet the guidelines.

However, making 1st gear selectable on these cars is relatively easy. Lift off shifter cover, locate plastic (nylon) stop at the right side of the notched selector ramp, use a hacksaw or X-acto blade to remove the offending (square) stop. Then you will have first gear.
    Source:http://www.camarosource.ca/main_new_...other%20gears?
    Last edited by Cutlass; 07-21-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Green
    1994 Trans Am GTA

damn, you're good....thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "I'll gut you like a fish!"

Black
    99 WS6

Wow i've never heard of anything like that

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

way to go Cutlass, and your right IT'S MILLER TIME!!! or bud thirty

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Ahhh...just a little google research and I found the answers. Tonite I'm doing a little Vodka time . Feeling good right about now!

Green
    1994 Trans Am GTA

went in and cut out that little piece tonight.....snapped it all back together......and now I have 1st gear select!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!

Trans Am owner
    former

yup, apparently, a previosu owner cut the piece on my car, bacuse I have 1st gear selectability with out there being a 1 down there.

Thread Information