sunburst orange
    2002 camaro ss

convertor search

looking for a good but inexpensive convertor, for a daily driver with a hot cam and gears

Black
    1999 Trans Am

What do you consider inexpensive? How much of a stall are you looking for?

Idea of inexpensive?? It's not something to go very cheap on. If you plan to keep the car, I wouldn't be afraid to spend a little extra for a better product.

sunburst orange
    2002 camaro ss

Question

not looking to spend 800.00 to a 1000.00 dollars, i have been running a TCI Saturday night special in my hotrod for 10 years and i paid 375.00 dollars for it. they make one for the 4l60e i can get it for under 500.00 shipped to my door and its around a 3300 stall. so why would you want to spend so much money on something that has no better warranty or reliabilty.

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst02 View Post
    not looking to spend 800.00 to a 1000.00 dollars, i have been running a TCI Saturday night special in my hotrod for 10 years and i paid 375.00 dollars for it. they make one for the 4l60e i can get it for under 500.00 shipped to my door and its around a 3300 stall. so why would you want to spend so much money on something that has no better warranty or reliabilty.
    That answer is simple.

I've run a few TCI converters as well as one of their 400 turbo street fighter transmissions. I can go on and on about poor quality, horrible customer service and warranty, but I'll save that for another time.

Short answer,,,,you can get a converter from TCI, and it'll work. It will generally stall enough to allow the car to idle and drive around town fine. Not that great for optimum 1/4 mile times however. TCI converters all tend to be a bit on the tight side. Not sure if they are very conservative on their STR's, or if it's some other internal fin design inside, but they have never performed up to par for me and many others. I can give you a quicky example on my mild 454 chevelle. 10" TCI 3500 converter, 1.89 60 foot was it's best. Coan 10" 3500, 1.70 60 foot, that I widdled down to a best 1.59 after tweaking. BIG difference.

What you'll find with a more expensive converter, Coan, Continental, are a couple of my favorites, is a converter that will drive around snug, but still flash high at the strip, while still being efficient enough on the big end to pull a better mph without too much slippage.
    Precision Industries also makes a nice converter. You get what you pay for when it comes to converters. When you are talking $500,,,what's another $2-300 ?? Not to mention all the work to swap it.

If you don't really care about 60 foot times or efficiency, and you just want a cruiser for around town,,,,then maybe a cheaper shelf converter is right up your alley. I'd highly suggest you have one custom built for your particular combo though.

Thread Information