Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

Computer and converter not getting along???

Thought that I remember this discussed before but I have looked couldn't find this topic.
    Here is the situation:
    Had some trans work done on a '98 pontiac because the snap ring for the 3-4 clutches went. So after getting the car back I find that the converter is not locking up. Take it back and now they tell me the trans in fine and it must be the computer and/or tune. Is this even possible? "Take it to the tuner" is what I'm being told. I know the computer tells the trans what to do but why all of a sudden is it not working?
    The converter is a Vigilante 3K and yes it locked up before the repair.

Any help? I don't have much info right now because I just talked to them on the phone. Will get as much detail as I can when I pick the car up.

blue
    2000ss

Well a no lockup condition can be caused by engine missfire codes, Bad engine temp sensor, The first ting really to do is get it on a data logger or scanner and see if lockup is being commanded (enabled) in the data, That will tell you where to look first.

FREE COOLER/SHIPING, NO CORE OR CHARGE,1YR WAR, CUST TRACK VIDEOS click banner 4 website, CALL 9 AM TO 12 MIDNITE 7 DAYS OR YAHOO MESSENGER
    SALE THIS WEEK! CALL FOR DETAILS!

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by performabuilt View Post
    Well a no lockup condition can be caused by engine missfire codes, Bad engine temp sensor, The first ting really to do is get it on a data logger or scanner and see if lockup is being commanded (enabled) in the data, That will tell you where to look first.

Click for full sizeFREE COOLER/SHIPING, NO CORE OR CHARGE,1YR WAR, CUST TRACK VIDEOS click banner 4 website, CALL 9 AM TO 12 MIDNITE 7 DAYS OR YAHOO MESSENGER
    SALE THIS WEEK! CALL FOR DETAILS!
    What about the TC lock unlock selenoid? I know if these go out you can have the same issues as being described.

SteveC

blue
    2000ss

Yes it is true that the solenoid could cause no lockup also but again getting it scanned is the best way to determine where to look first before just changing parts.
    FREE COOLER/SHIPING, NO CORE OR CHARGE,2YR WARRANTY, CUST TRACK VIDEOS click banner 4 website, CALL or text 570-578-5686 7 days a week 9 am till 10 pm.

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

I appreciate the suggestions. Thanks a lot guys. I did get some details when I picked the car up.
    The computer is not telling the TC to lock up except in very specific conditions, but when commanded to the TC will lock up. So I doubt it is a solenoid issue. Definately a computer thing and I know because:
    I was taking the car to the tuner yesterday and didn't get 5 miles on the highway and SES light came on. Turned around and went straight to my tranny shop to be scanned. Code 1920...I think thats right? Needless to say, I was not happy because when I had the trans built the shift kit took care of that. I think that during the last service some part of that shift kit was lost. The shop is taking care of putting in a kit to take care of the code. I am starting to think that I should just get the whole shift kit replaced. What do you guys think? Will this take care of my problem?

The only other symptom is that when I let off the brake and let the car idle in drive I can feel a surging even though the engine is idleing fine.

Thread Information