White
    1989 Mazda Rx-7

Can't seperate ls1 from 4l60e

I've taken every bolt off the bell housing and the starter. I still can't seperate it. It looks like there are dowels on each side of the block, one dowel is on the driver side and i can see it start to come apart, however the other side is still stuck. I've really put alot of force into trying to seperate them without breaking any aluminum.

Anyone have any tricks/suggestions?

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

i used the tail shaft and went from side to side with it, also used pb blaster on the pins. i cleaned them and greased then before i put the trans back on too. hope that help, try not to pry against the block at all, just work it it will come.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

You moved the wiring harness and dipstick tube out of the way right?I have seen it hang several times with just enough force to make it feel wedged. That harness is in a PITA spot and makes putting the dipstick tube a pain as well.
    My Toy 00 Z28 1SC A4 - MS3 cam with supporting valvetrain, Milled LS6 heads, LS7 lifters, , ARP rod and mains, All free mods, pacesetters, True duals, moser 9 with 4.11's and Detroit Locker, Vig 3600 tuned, tubular SFC,adj PHR, LCA, adj TA, PHR reloc, LCA reloc. all with poly bushings, ZR1's and Nitto DR's (315).

My other toy 05 GTO LS2 M6- Comp XR269HR cam, 918's, hardened pushrods, Dart Pro 1's, pacesetters, X-pipe, flowmaster 1 chambers, TSP oil pump, Tick master cylinder. Pedders RR bushings, end links, SB bushings, tie rods and strut mounts, total performance poly F&R bushings. Polk DVC 12", Infinity Kappa 6.5 component and 6x9's with corresponding amps.

Her toy 77 F100-6.6/c6. All original (for now)

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    i used the tail shaft and went from side to side with it, also used pb blaster on the pins. i cleaned them and greased then before i put the trans back on too. hope that help, try not to pry against the block at all, just work it it will come.

it just takes a little work and some patience.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post

it just takes a little work and some patience.
    actually, it takes a little work and a ton of cussing. I pulled mine by myself and had a helluva time getting that thing off the pins. Just yank the piss out of it and I can PM you the magical combination of cuss words it takes to get it off. Make sure you have the tranny jacked up so that it's level and not binding on the pins.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    actually, it takes a little work and a ton of cussing. I pulled mine by myself and had a helluva time getting that thing off the pins. Just yank the piss out of it and I can PM you the magical combination of cuss words it takes to get it off. Make sure you have the tranny jacked up so that it's level and not binding on the pins.
    Probably the same words I used when I did mine, something like this bleep bleep bleep, ####, *****, and back to bleep bleep bleep again

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

I've taken every bolt off the bell housing and the starter.
    i know its a stupid question but did u remove the flywheel bolts that bolt to the torque converter?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by z28punk View Post
    i know its a stupid question but did u remove the flywheel bolts that bolt to the torque converter?
    Umm...if he could get the the torque converter bolts, that would mean the engine and bellhousing have been separated. He can't get them apart yet, therefore he can't yet gain access to those bolts.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Umm...if he could get the the torque converter bolts, that would mean the engine and bellhousing have been separated. He can't get them apart yet, therefore he can't yet gain access to those bolts.

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Your thinking Flexplate bolts. Flywheel Bolts can be reached from the starter location. There are 3 of them, Gay little Allen Bolts...

Also make sure when removing it that its level. Mine hung on one pin and wouldnt come off until we leveled the trans back up so that the other pin lined up.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

I just kicked the tail one sharp time from the side and mine popped out fairly easily.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SStriker View Post
    Your thinking Flexplate bolts. Flywheel Bolts can be reached from the starter location. There are 3 of them, Gay little Allen Bolts...

Also make sure when removing it that its level. Mine hung on one pin and wouldnt come off until we leveled the trans back up so that the other pin lined up.
    Yep, I was thinking of the flexplate bolts.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    lol I didnt have that much trouble with mine... but then again I only had 9,000 miles on it since the last time it was removed

White
    1989 Mazda Rx-7

I finally got it off. I ended up having to use a 3lb deadblow (plastic orange one from harbor frieght) and a screw driver. And hammering the piss out of the 4l60e bellhousing on the starter side, then sliding the screw driver in and hammering it in gently around the dowels. I managed to get it wiggled off the dowels without marring the block or the transmission. Then I had about a gallon of transfluid all over the floor.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Red
    2000 Trans Am

you didnt drain the trans before pulling it eh? Thats the first thing you should do lol. Dont worry i learned the hardway too back when i was a parts puller at a "chop shop".

White
    1989 Mazda Rx-7

it came out of the torque converter.

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by whiteseven View Post
    it came out of the torque converter.
    ooo, see mine didnt leak until i pulled it off and put it in a pan.

Thread Information