Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

can you manualy shift an a4?

This is a discussion on can you manualy shift an a4? within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; I agree with the rest of the guys saying it's a bad idea. I just cut a check for 1800 ...

Red
    2000 WS6

I agree with the rest of the guys saying it's a bad idea. I just cut a check for 1800 dollars for playing around in lower gears. It may feel torquey as hell and can be fun especially hearing the exhaust pop from back pressure, but the end is what really matters. I really should have gotten an M6, dropping it into first or second and drifting in the rain is too much fun LoL Take it from a guy who learned his lesson. Be kind to your beast.

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    dont shift manually, you arent better at shifting than the computer.
    End thread!

Silver
    2002 Z28

I leave it in first in parking garages with the cutouts open, nothing too wrong with that is not hurting it. Only hurts it if you downshift into 2nd or 1st.

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

I agree it's not good for it, but i noticed a very obvious difference drag racing. Me and my buddy with his c5 race all the time, and the only way i can keep up is if i start in first, let it get up the rpm, then shift up into drive. He can launch his vette a million times harder, i lose the race before it starts if i leave it in drive.

black
    2000 pontiac TA vert

If you want to shift an A4 manually so bad then get a TH400.

Hugger Orange
    98 Camaro

Shifting the transmo manually won't hurt anything, it's just you taking the car thru the paces rather than the computer.

I agree that letting the car shift it's self is better than shifting manually, more consistent. Normally, what I've seen, is if you try to manually shift the 4l60e then you end up over revving or trying to anticipate a certain rpm, both of which will cost you time down the track.
    1998 Z28, Hugger Orange, SLP MAFS, SPL Headers, off-road Y, Hypertech, Ram-air, 3000 TCI Stall, 3:73 gears, a4, S&W chassis package, Wolfe Racecraft 6-pt bar, HSW 125 dry kit, SLP Line-locks, Kirkey Prostreet seats, RCI belts, Convo-Pro's w/ Hoosier QTime DOT's

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    dont shift manually, you arent better at shifting than the computer.
    I agree completely--I have over 1000 runs under my belt and consider myself a fairly experienced driver--but honestly--the computer does a way better job than I ever could do---It's 1 extra thing to think about---too easy to shift too early and miss the power band or too late at put it on the limiter and lose your momemtum !!!

NBM
    1998Z28

The E in the 4L60E stand for electronic and that means even if you have a shift kit installed its not gonna change gears until the CPU tell it to. The only way to shift a 4L60E is to install a manual Valve Body. But then its not an automatic anymore.

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

4L06E = Do not shift manually. Trust me, the computer is smarter than you are

Quote Originally Posted by 01RaptorTA View Post
    I agree it's not good for it, but i noticed a very obvious difference drag racing. Me and my buddy with his c5 race all the time, and the only way i can keep up is if i start in first, let it get up the rpm, then shift up into drive. He can launch his vette a million times harder, i lose the race before it starts if i leave it in drive.
    You have your shift at rpm point set too low in 1st --when you leave in 1st--it will skip over the shift point and go all the way up to the "in-gear" rev limiter which is always set about 500 RPM higher-- If you set the 1st gear RPM shift point higher--then when you leave in drive it will go up to the same RPM as it does when you leave in 1st---and it will be easier on the trans-won't bounce off the limiter--and won't engage the TC and pull timing so you lose your momemtum---Try it this way if you have access to a tuner and see --

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Yea if i had access to a tuner that would solve the problem completely, i could just change all my shift points and call it a day. But i dont have those kinda connections lol, so i gotta do it my own way for now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information