2000 Trans Am

Bouncing off rev limiter.........

Can someone help me here. I just had my transmission rebuilt because it took a SHI$ on me. It is an automatic, and they put in a 9 clutch pac, with shift kit. Now whenever I am street racing and I am at WOT it bounces off the rev limiter. Not in the lower gears but the higher ones. Could the shift kit be doing this? We didn't mess with the computer, so that can't be it. And if I get it dyno tuned and adjust the shift points will that help?
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

blue
    2000ss

If the line has been raised in the tune previously which is likley you may need to lower it back to stock. I have seen instances where after a shift kit with generaly has a boost valve and other means to raise line and with thetuning line higher you can get into solenoid flooding which has a particular affect on the 2-3 shift. Ussually when it happens and you can shift fine just Off WOT this is a likley issue

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by performabuilt View Post
    If the line has been raised in the tune previously which is likley you may need to lower it back to stock. I have seen instances where after a shift kit with generaly has a boost valve and other means to raise line and with thetuning line higher you can get into solenoid flooding which has a particular affect on the 2-3 shift. Ussually when it happens and you can shift fine just Off WOT this is a likley issue
    I have never had it tuned before just the shift kit installed. When I do get it dyno tuned should I ask them to check the line pressure? And how do you do that, with computer?...because there was a problem with the solenoid, i had to take it back to them 3 or 4 times until it got fixed.

black
    2002 trans am

i have the same problem..

i just replaced my transmissson and i bounce off....i added the k&n filter and bounce off harder...didnt know if i could void the limiter and be safe as long as i dont change the shift points..and as long as it shift before 6500

Black
    '02 B4C Camaro

my '00 gmc P\U 5.3L has had a problem with the 2-3\3-2 shift since new if i drive it real hard. never been much of an issue.
    the camaro is a differnt story i bought it to drive it hard.
    are there valve body mods that will make this work out?

2000 Trans Am

How do you check the line pressure for the shifting in the transmission? ANY ONE ANY ONE?
    Last edited by clg82; 10-23-2007 at 07:34 PM.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    How do you check the line pressure for the shifting in the transmission? ANY ONE ANY ONE?
    port on the driver's side of the trans. looks like a pipe plug. if they just did a rebuild and put the 9 clutch pack in it, they may not have clearanced it properly. sounds like too much clearance causing the late shift and hitting of the rev limiter. trust me, i'm king at destroying transmissions. just took out an alto 9 clutch pack myself. i have piles of 3/4 clutch packs.

you might get lucky and it be the B solenoid that controls the shift into 3rd.
    Last edited by mrr23; 10-24-2007 at 05:27 PM.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    port on the dirver's side of the trans. looks like a pipe plug. if they just did a rebuild and put the 9 clutch pack in it, they may not have clearanced it properly. sounds like too much clearance causing the late shift and hitting of the rev limiter. trust me, i'm king at destroying transmissions. just took out an alto 9 clutch pack myself. i have piles of 3/4 clutch packs.

you might get lucky and it be the B solenoid that controls the shift into 3rd.
    Ok you just totally confused the hell out of me. Is this something that can be checked with a tune or not? How do I explain to the dyno guy how do check it?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Ok you just totally confused the hell out of me. Is this something that can be checked with a tune or not? How do I explain to the dyno guy how do check it?
    cannot check with a tune. he can raise line pressure to see if it helps. but, you've already put a shift kit in which raises line pressure. it's something with the rebuild that went wrong. hell, it could be the rings on the input shaft got pinched when the front pump got slid over it.

he could have done something wrong with the shift kit. i had one trans guy drill out the seperator plate for the 3rd gear chack ball. he made it too large and the ball was flaring the plate. the 1-2 checkball was wedged into the plate.

i've had this same trans apart in my black car probably about 10 times now. 2 or 3 bands, at least 6 3/4 clutch packs, a few other things here and there. i have just about every known aftermarket part in it. billet 2 and 4 servos, larger boost valves. all kinds of things.

2000 Trans Am

cannot check with a tune. he can raise line pressure to see if it helps. but, you've already put a shift kit in which raises line pressure. it's something with the rebuild that went wrong. hell, it could be the rings on the input shaft got pinched when the front pump got slid over it.

he could have done something wrong with the shift kit. i had one trans guy drill out the seperator plate for the 3rd gear chack ball. he made it too large and the ball was flaring the plate. the 1-2 checkball was wedged into the plate.

i've had this same trans apart in my black car probably about 10 times now. 2 or 3 bands, at least 6 3/4 clutch packs, a few other things here and there. i have just about every known aftermarket part in it. billet 2 and 4 servos, larger boost valves. all kinds of things.
    Damn it so if the dyno guy can't fix it do i have to take it backj to take it back to them and have them re do everything? and I thought i would want to lower line pressure to stop this from happening?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

you can try it and see what happens. i''ve had over 300 psi of pressure and it still shift.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

2000 Trans Am

you can try it and see what happens. i''ve had over 300 psi of pressure and it still shift.
    and if that doesn't work....

blue
    2000ss

Well really before I would do anything I would get the car on a scanner any reputable shop should have one that can do data stream and make sure the PCM is actually comanding the shift.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

and if that doesn't work....
    then, it's what i said. something wrong with the rebuild. on stock tune, it should shift without issue.

Thread Information