Which ATF?

This is a discussion on Which ATF? within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; I am putting a 3000 stall TC in my 01 Z28. The car is a daily driver which will be ...

White
    2001 Z28

Thumbs down Which ATF?

I am putting a 3000 stall TC in my 01 Z28. The car is a daily driver which will be running 350-400 RWHP. I saw all the different brands at the store, and want to know if it is worth the extra money for the premium stuff like B@M Trick Shift or Mobil 1 synthetic.

Use a good brand of Dexron III. Stay away from B&M Trick Shift as it is Ford type "F" fluid. Make sure you have an external transmssion cooler to go with the stock cooling setup.

White
    2001 Z28

Thanks! I really appreciate that input. It sure is easy to buy snake oil with so much hype out there.

white
    2002 z28

curiouis, what is the best for the ATF FOR the ls1's

I have seen good results from the non synthetic Mobil and Aamco (this is Mobil repackaged). As for the best fluid out there.... Use the Monolec 7500 from Lubrication Engineers. I have recommended this for all high HP, Road Race, Severe or Extreme Duty use, for several years now with good success.

White
    2001 Z28

I have never heard of Monolec, where do you get it?

From Lubrication Engineers, they are in the Dallas/Fort Worth. Tell them your city or zip code and that way you get in touch with the local dealer nearest to you. Their rear end fluid is also the best around

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

Why not use the new DexronVI from gm?

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Question

What's wrong with the type F fuild being used in our trans,if it's the same as the B&M? I have used it and it makes my car shift harder and firmer.What's the down side of doing so.And if it's bad for the trans than B&M fuild is also.

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

Any brand atf except walmart basically...its all the same stuff. Like an advance auto brand conventional ATF is good.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well
    Performance cars are hard on trannies. No big secret on what is best for a 4L60E behind a performance motor..... and sure arent any "magic fluids". Here it is.
    1. Heat is not your friend. Running a TransGo Shift Kit? A Stall? Adjust your shift points and pressure with your handy dandy hand held progrsmmer? Get a Trasnnie Cooler. Cheap and easy to install. Add that extra fluid capacity and cool that thing off. http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...58370_-1_10535

I also added a spin on filter. Saved my $10K trannie when the stall exploded....and keeps the fluid clean..... http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...48665_-1_10535

As for the fluid. Run conventional ATF. Not synthetic. Trust me on this one. You'll get better results. Synthetics have tons of additives for the daily grocery getter that have no place in a performance application. I run Valvoline in my 4L80E Stage V Finsih Line trannie. Excellent stuff.... http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=64 and there are big differences in the add packs from brand to brand of ATF...anybody think they are "all the same" needs to do some research.

Lastly....go to the dealer or any shop that has a trannie flush machine and have it flushed once a year. Cost like $100 bucks and about 14 quarts of conventional Valvoline ATF. Do it. Sell your kids to do it. But do it. Change your spin on filter at the same time.

Follow the above and that trannie will perform and last.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

Sarge the lastest spec from gm dexron VI is very good,its a blend .I'm using it in the wifes TA and it shifts much nicer than it did with the dexronIII.Another thing we noticed after changing to dexVI you car no longer moves forward slightly as you start it.I've rebuilt a couple 100 auto trans in my time and ones things for certain.The number one auto trans wrecker is heat,second is broken parts.I like the spin on filter deal as long as it has a BYPASS valve.

The 4L60e overheats the fluid,you should run a extra cooler after the stock cooler so in colder weather the fluid gets up to temp faster.If you run just a stand alone cooler without the rad builtin cooler the fluid may not get warmed up properly in cold weather.BY THE WAY,buy the CHEAPEST DEX VI you can find because it all comes out the same pipe.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

just call redline oil and tell them what you have and run what that say. redline has the best as far as i care

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Rivi View Post
    Sarge the lastest spec from gm dexron VI is very good,its a blend .I'm using it in the wifes TA and it shifts much nicer than it did with the dexronIII.Another thing we noticed after changing to dexVI you car no longer moves forward slightly as you start it.I've rebuilt a couple 100 auto trans in my time and ones things for certain.The number one auto trans wrecker is heat,second is broken parts.I like the spin on filter deal as long as it has a BYPASS valve.

The 4L60e overheats the fluid,you should run a extra cooler after the stock cooler so in colder weather the fluid gets up to temp faster.If you run just a stand alone cooler without the rad builtin cooler the fluid may not get warmed up properly in cold weather.BY THE WAY,buy the CHEAPEST DEX VI you can find because it all comes out the same pipe.
    I run a thermostat on mine...opens at 160 to allow the fluid in/out of the cooler....pretty straightforward.....and yes the filter will have a bypass at approximately 8lbs....( for you younguns that means if the difference in pressure between the fluid going in and the fluid coming out of the filter is equal to or greater than 8lbs the filter bypass closes and allows the fluid to "bypass" the filter. This usuall occurs if the filter is clogged and this bypass allows the fluid to travel unfiltered and not starve your trannnie/engine for fluid just because your filter is wasted)....you can use any filter equivalent to a FL1A.....most bypass around 8-12lbs......and yes DexIV is superior to DexIII....in the average car....but in a performance transmission (A) you should be flushing it once a year anyway (B) you will have significant added capacity with your cooler and your spin on filter (C) Conventional doesnt have the super add pack of friction modifiers which have been known to cause slippage under load. So bottom line (with me anyway) is use a good quality conventional ATF and have fun!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    just call redline oil and tell them what you have and run what that say. redline has the best as far as i care
    I called RedLine and ask why the are better than conventional and they hung up. I tried and call them back the next day but they had changed their number and it is now unlisted. They knew it was me

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

I like yer avatar picture Sarge,high school photo?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Wedding Pic.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

yer a handsome devil.

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

So whats the difference between say valvoline and advance/autozone brand atf??

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Add packs that prevent oxidation and promote cleaning are at a minimum with "lesser" discount brands.

Thread Information