Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

ASAP! Im walking right now.... lol

So I have my rear cover off on my diff and there is metal everywhere. All the teeth look fine. All the spiders gear etc look good. It has the diff with the yellow springs and clutches in it btw... anyway.. Ive got a horrible lag in lower rpm and a clunk that I cant tell where its from. PLUS if I go about 70 it vibrates like no other, especially bad if when it starts doing it I put it in neutral.

NOW.. I took my driveshaft out.. all the ujoints and tight and smooth... but the rear end shaft of my transmission is wobbly... I have some older 700r4s and some three speeds in the shop and they wobble(worn out, waiting rebuild etc) but not like this.. I can make videos if you guys want of the rear end.. the noise...with the driveshaft in you can move it about 1/8-1/4 inch up and down if you push hard.. Is bearings out in the tailshaft??? Is the tranny doomed??? I know the rear is worn but shit. What is causing this vibration/clunk from hell...

anything is apprechiated. Im getting it back together tommorow night.. So I need to find out what Is wrong so I can fix/order parts...

BLUE
    02 TRANS AM

Your right you bring the DOOM. J/K. I have no idea how to help. I know someone on here will help. Man it sucks when somethings wrong with the car.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

So when the driveshaft is disconnected from the rearend...you can slide it in and out of the tranny?? That is normal.

The metal you have found in the rearend, was it stuck to the magnet?

I guess I simply have no idea what wobbly means.

BLUE
    02 TRANS AM

I think his tailshaft moves up and down and side to side. That sounds soooo wrong but its the truth.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

So after some sleep(worked 14 hours yesterday then about 2 on the car before sleeping)

Anyway the metal is on the magnent. The rear end appears good to go. The tailshaft where the driveshaft slides on can move side to side and up and down, plus it has the clunking sound in side of the tranny. The bastards got a lot of miles and I know im going to have to fix something... so yeah... Im putting it back together in a few and pressure washing everything and getting it clean. I have the feeling Ill be putting in a performabuilt pretty soon.

EDIT: Ive basically eliminated the rear end. It has been apparently been rebuilt before since there is wear on the 8mm bolt and the bolts that hold in the diff bearings.......

performabuilt stage 2. 2500 stall and a tranny cooler??
    Last edited by JoshieDoom; 06-21-2008 at 11:42 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm gonna move this to the auto trans section and maybe performabuilt will chime in with some guidance.

If the tranny is shot I'd personally go with a higher stall than that. I ran a 3500 on mine when I was pretty much stock with headers and it did fine. If you're planning on bigger mods down the road I'd go bigger on that stall. I'd go bigger if you weren't planning on other mods myself.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

i'd run it till it goes boom unless u dont have another car to rely on. that way u know what part went bad. lol

sorry for the lack of help. I hope u find out whats wrong

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Definately the tranny. Couldn't be the rear since it does it worse when its in neutral. I'd say yank it out and check it out.
    And Orions right, definately a higher stall converter...Hell, I have a Hughes 2600 in my truck...Id say 3500 or more.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

I ran it with the wheels in the air last night and in second gear(40mphish) it has this whining sound in the tailshaft area..

another question.. a 3600 stall isnt too nice for a DD ???

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    I ran it with the wheels in the air last night and in second gear(40mphish) it has this whining sound in the tailshaft area..

another question.. a 3600 stall isnt too nice for a DD ???
    3400 for a DD isn't too bad, but mileage will suffer a bit.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Well it should be the same because im loosing MPG somewhere in the drivetrain.

Thread Information