Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

anyone hear of ptc converters of texas?

im looking into buying a torque converter. found some decent deals on torque converters from ptc of texas. a completly different company that ptc converters (based in alabama) i just dont want to buy this converter and find out i made a mistake. the one im looking at is a, lock up, It's a custom built 10" PTC single disc lock up converter rated for 3200 to 3400 stall with anti ballooning plates and it non billit. it sounds like a great conveter, but this would be a expensive mistake had i found out they are very reputable. any info would be helpful... yes i know this is the wrong section, i simply put this here for traffic reason, i want a answer sooner than later.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Heard of them: Yes. Know anything about them: No.

White
    00 T/A

I have a few buddies that will run nothing but them and have never had a problem with them.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by motavated View Post
    I have a few buddies that will run nothing but them and have never had a problem with them.
    good! thats what i want to hear, being as i bought the converter lol

i also found this out from the owner himself
    ptc of texas:
    I cut open and repair all makes of converters to include Hughes, BTE, TCI, Neal Chance, B&M and countless others. Hughes top of the line converters are excellent units and very seldom need any repair but they are pricey. I build the same converter, same work done, handling the same HP range, for allot less money

he just doesnt have the advertising most companies have. he says he does that to keep his company manageable. but says he makes a ton of racing converters with nothing but happy customers. he says alot of his converters go into BIG HP lsx motors and no complaints at all about them

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

I use a PTC converter. It was a good price and has worked awesome over the years. I think as far as decent budget converters go they are one of the best. I would go with a converter from them before I would go with Yank, Fuddle, or some of the other big names out there.
    Last edited by Packy; 04-04-2011 at 12:08 AM.
    1999 Trans Am WS6 Black - Forged 346, P1SC (8psi), TH-400, and 12 bolt(3.73's)
    10.29@129 w/1.60 sixty foot

2004 Screaming Yellow Mustang Cobra - Whipple 2.3, Exhaust, & CCW's...My DD

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

I've been wanting a Circle D, but it Packy says PTC is good, I trust him. PTC of Texas website really sux balls........so what kind of price he quoting u? PM me if necessary.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by korndawg View Post
    I've been wanting a Circle D, but it Packy says PTC is good, I trust him. PTC of Texas website really sux balls........so what kind of price he quoting u? PM me if necessary.
    If you wanna spend money get a Circle D or Neal Chance. PTC was 1/3 of their price and performs just as well IMHO. BTW Performance Torque Converters is out of Muscle Shoals, Alabama or at least they were when I ordered from them.

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

I'm all about saving money where I can tho. I emailed "Sarge" from PTC and he's thinking that I should just restall my stock coverter since my car is more or less a daily driver. I told him I was wanting something in the 3600-4000 like other companies recommended. He says thats way too big. So ya, not sure what to do.

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

So Packy, you ordered from Performance Torque Converters and not PTC of Texas? 2 diff companies.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

So Packy, you ordered from Performance Torque Converters and not PTC of Texas? 2 diff companies.
    I used Performance Torque Converters from Muscle Shoals, AL. Like I said before they are a very good company and I have no complaints. If you want your car to perform you need to go bigger than you planned. I would say that a 3600-3800 would help a stock car out quite a bit but a lot of that depends on the mods and tune of the car as well.

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

Thanks for the advice. I'll def consider them with my build. Right now, my SS only has a lid, ORY, LTs and catback. I wanna do a stall before a H/C kit. For now, I'll just do a mail order tune from Frost. After buying my snowmobile, my budget dwindled down a ton

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

I'm all about saving money where I can tho. I emailed "Sarge" from PTC and he's thinking that I should just restall my stock coverter since my car is more or less a daily driver. I told him I was wanting something in the 3600-4000 like other companies recommended. He says thats way too big. So ya, not sure what to do.
    If you restall your stock converter you really wont get much seeing as its 300mm size really limits it in stall speed. A lot of people DD a 3600 stall with no issues but a lot of it depends on your idea of a dd and what gears you have. I'm really torn right now I'm looking at stalls and circle d has a 3200 278mm converter that people swear by and its 395 on their website or they have a 258mm billet converter 3400 stall for 745... The 258m bridges the gap between a small stall like the 278 to a more high performance 245 mm stall.. Either way give chris at circle d a call he's a great guy and they make a helluva product.

Thread Information