Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lookin for a race 99HuggerOrangeZ's Avatar

2004 Black Escalade EXT
    1999 Hugger Orange Z28

After 3200 stall install???

Well I had a 3200 stall put in the Z and it almost seems slower than when it was stock. Would it be my shitty 2.73's or what? My stock converter jerked harder when shifting to 2nd accelerating at any speed. The vig. converter is better off the line but when shifting it seems like it's not very firm. I thought the shifts were supposed to be more firm than stock, I did a tune with the converter but it doesn't seem right. (even though I have nothing to compare it to)

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks
    Last edited by 99HuggerOrangeZ; 08-30-2007 at 01:02 PM. Reason: n/a
    99 Hugger Orange Z28 A4 3.42's
    Mod's Livernois 408, SLP Cold Air Intake, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Electric Cut-out, Magnaflow Exhaust, Finish Line Level 5 4L65E, Vig. 3200 Stall, Spohn LCA's, UMI SFC's, Broken 10 bolt, 17x9.5 and 18x10.5 Black Z06 Motorsports

If you just put it in make sure the fluid level is right, if it's even a little low it won't shift right (was a PITA to get mine right). What kind of tune was done with the converter? Line pressure, shift points, duration, or shift kit, etc? Could also be you're just not used to it yet. Don't know if it's the 2.73's, I changed mine before the install. Give PI a call I'm sure they'll help.
    A4(3.42)TA Cover/Nittos/Vig 3200/Corsa Catback/FTRA/BMR Boxed SFC, STB, ACLA, APHR/Predator Custom Tune...

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, (as I'm sure you would) but I think the converter is to help off the line and in between shifts doesn't allow the RPM's to come so far down before shifting, whereas for harder shifts you need a shift kit.

I have both, but I have a 3600 stall and 3.42's, all's I know is it's great, but the car was tuned after the install too.

I'd like to drive the same car as mine to see the difference though, but I can tell you, when I step on it, shifts are seamless and hard at the same time.

2004 Black Escalade EXT
    1999 Hugger Orange Z28

The tune I had was either with EFI live or LS1 edit I forget which one they did, but they increased line pressure and shift points. It was done by EPP and I'm sure they did all of the right things with the install and tune. I guess the only way is to go to the track and find out. I will tell you the shifts are seamless but not as hard as stock was.

Also in stock form I could only get the 295 GS-D3's to cherp a little bit, now I can roast the bastards right off.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 99HuggerOrangeZ View Post
    The tune I had was either with EFI live or LS1 edit I forget which one they did, but they increased line pressure and shift points. It was done by EPP and I'm sure they did all of the right things with the install and tune. I guess the only way is to go to the track and find out. I will tell you the shifts are seamless but not as hard as stock was.

Also in stock form I could only get the 295 GS-D3's to cherp a little bit, now I can roast the bastards right off.
    I would throw a shift kit in ASAP, you'll have no complaints then 'cept for the gears, but's that's jus' a big ol' excuse to get a new rear.

2004 Black Escalade EXT
    1999 Hugger Orange Z28

Well I asked EPP if I would benifit from a shift kit they said increasing the line pressure would be about the same thing.

Don't have a shift kit in mine, just the tune. Think one increases the pressure mechanically and one electronically...either is OK but don't do both. If you just had it installed give it some time until you're used to it.

2004 Black Escalade EXT
    1999 Hugger Orange Z28

I've had it in for a little over 3 weeks now, I have gotten use to the looseness of it but I thought it would pull harder. Maybe I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

I'll just have to go race a guy at work who has an 06 Mustang GT. If I loose I'll know something's wrong.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Well I asked EPP if I would benifit from a shift kit they said increasing the line pressure would be about the same thing.
    But, by your dissatisfaction, I would say the word "about" is where the trouble lies.

If you do decide to go with a shift kit, try to find one that doesn't smack the shifts in hard during normal street driving, a good shift kit, will only let you know it's there, when you romp on it, and a little from time to time during regular use, but from different people, I've heard some always bang in hard and you don't want that.

Also, did they suggest the 3200? I think you should of went bigger because of the low gears.

Actually the Vigs stall 4-600 higher than advertised - least they used to, mine does.

2004 Black Escalade EXT
    1999 Hugger Orange Z28

Well they actually told me 2800-3000 for stock power would be what I want and I told them I would rather have the 3200 now so when I do a H/C I won't need to upgrade.

EPP (Exotic Performance Plus) is a highly reputable speed shop that has a lot of experience with the 4th gens. So when they tell me I don't need a shift kit I would have to believe them as I was going to buy it from them and pay them to install it.

If the vig does stall 400-600 higher than I may have been happier with the 3000 but who knows.

Maybe every thing is fine and I just don't know it because the car feels alot different.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Well they actually told me 2800-3000 for stock power would be what I want and I told them I would rather have the 3200 now so when I do a H/C I won't need to upgrade.

EPP (Exotic Performance Plus) is a highly reputable speed shop that has a lot of experience with the 4th gens. So when they tell me I don't need a shift kit I would have to believe them as I was going to buy it from them and pay them to install it.

If the vig does stall 400-600 higher than I may have been happier with the 3000 but who knows.

Maybe every thing is fine and I just don't know it because the car feels alot different.
    Have you gone WOT yet? or have you just been drivin it round town?

Put some miles on it, think you're fine. When I first got mine I was like "What did I do to my car?" Now I don't even notice it being there, unless I give it throttle.

2004 Black Escalade EXT
    1999 Hugger Orange Z28

Have I gone WOT? I thought that is the only way to drive these cars. J/K

Yeah sometimes it hits hard when I floor it but most of the time it doesn't. I did pull off the highway onto a service road going into work today and when I got on it (about 25-30MPH) it downshifted and pulled the hardest it ever has. I don't know if the cooler air this morning helped or if I just had it at the right speed to down shift and be in the optimum RPM range.

Like I said, I am probably full of shit and don't know what I'm talking about. Just need to go to the track and hope I can get into the high 12's.

Thanks Again

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

You need to change out those 2.73's for one. Also most of the time looser stalls absorb the shift due to the slippage. Only time mine shifts real hard is when I manually shift it and I have a full built trans billet servos etc the whole 9. Normally tho pre-stall etc my trans shifted harder w/o the stall, gears, built trans, cam, tune etc. Line I said only time mine shifts real hard is when manual shifting do to line pressure adjustments.
    My Toy 00 Z28 1SC A4 - MS3 cam with supporting valvetrain, Milled LS6 heads, LS7 lifters, , ARP rod and mains, All free mods, pacesetters, True duals, moser 9 with 4.11's and Detroit Locker, Vig 3600 tuned, tubular SFC,adj PHR, LCA, adj TA, PHR reloc, LCA reloc. all with poly bushings, ZR1's and Nitto DR's (315).

My other toy 05 GTO LS2 M6- Comp XR269HR cam, 918's, hardened pushrods, Dart Pro 1's, pacesetters, X-pipe, flowmaster 1 chambers, TSP oil pump, Tick master cylinder. Pedders RR bushings, end links, SB bushings, tie rods and strut mounts, total performance poly F&R bushings. Polk DVC 12", Infinity Kappa 6.5 component and 6x9's with corresponding amps.

Her toy 77 F100-6.6/c6. All original (for now)

Dana
    The higher the gear 3.08, 2.73 the less feel on the shifts, ther lower the gear 3.42, 3.73 the shift has more feel. The smaller converter does not have the mass that the larger TC had, and therefore the shift feel is will be less pronounced. The transmission is actually shifting firmer with the smaller TC, it has less mass to slow down on the shift. The smaller and lighter weight TC is much easier on the drivetrain in terms of stress.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Built Automatics View Post
    The higher the gear 3.08, 2.73 the less feel on the shifts, ther lower the gear 3.42, 3.73 the shift has more feel. The smaller converter does not have the mass that the larger TC had, and therefore the shift feel is will be less pronounced. The transmission is actually shifting firmer with the smaller TC, it has less mass to slow down on the shift. The smaller and lighter weight TC is much easier on the drivetrain in terms of stress.
    Hey an A/T guy!

Hey gotta question for ya, I have 3.42's, shift kit and a 3600 stall, is this too high? I have an 01' LS1, which has the LS6 intake but as a trade off they put a milder cam in it, I don't know the specs on the cam though.

Second question is, I have no idea if it's related to the stall or whatnot, (the stall was installed b4 I bought it) but when I step on it hard, (not pinning the pedal mind you, but like almost), and she shifts gears, the weirdest thing happens...the pedal pulls away from my foot, it goes down by itself, others have suggested it might be the traction control, but have tried it many times without the TC on, still does it. Do you think a bigger cam might help this or do you think it's completely unrelated to anything to do with the setup? It just sort of feels like it is because it happens exactly as she's shifting.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

i didnt read all the responses so idk if ur questions answered or not, but ill give it to u real simple:

stall just helps keep u in the powerband
    shift kit will make ur car shift harder and faster.

or, instead of a shift kit, just tune ur car and turn up the shift firmness. or do both...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

stall=loose feeling between shifts. Alleviate the loose feeling= 3.42s or up gear/tune (shift points and line pressure). You can do a shift kit also.

2K LPM Z28 M6- GMHTP StreetHeat feature Nov 12- Camaro Performers Readers' Rides feature Nov 12
    2K4 BS G35 sedan 5AT

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

a higher stall converter absorbs more of the shift feel because of it's higher rpm stall capability.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information