Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

advice on stall converters?

This is a discussion on advice on stall converters? within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; I click on one of our sponsors http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...id=297&pcid=73...

  1. #21
    Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

    Ed Blown Vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    50,746

    Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert


  2. #22
    Member jmhvenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    32
    Posts
    823

    Silver
    2002 Z28

    I just got a Vig 3800... amazing performance, traction is a fine on street with Nittos.

  3. #23
    Member koolaid_kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    209

    Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

    Quote Originally Posted by jmhvenom View Post
    I just got a Vig 3800... amazing performance, traction is a fine on street with Nittos.
    What size?

  4. #24
    Member jmhvenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    32
    Posts
    823

    Silver
    2002 Z28

    size what?

  5. #25
    Member koolaid_kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    209

    Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

    Quote Originally Posted by koolaid_kid View Post
    What size?
    What size Nittos?

  6. #26
    Member jmhvenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    32
    Posts
    823

    Silver
    2002 Z28

    275/40/17

  7. #27
    Member koolaid_kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    209

    Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

    Thanks.

  8. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    23

    Silver
    1998 Trans AM WS6

    whats the gearing on a stock98 ws6 a4? I was wondering because i was gonna get the tci super street fighter 3500 but the website says it works with 3:73's. will it work with my gearing?

  9. #29
    Senior Member mrr23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    7,134

    dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    I run a Tranny-cooler inline with the radiator cooler.

    The only time it get up to 200* is when the engine is over 200*.

    I may just only run the tranny cooler.
    that's the way i do mine. cooler only. sounds like yours is going backwards. cooler then radiator.

  10. #30
    Likes twisty roads bene's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    England but from TX
    Posts
    803

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    that's the way i do mine. cooler only. sounds like yours is going backwards. cooler then radiator.
    Is it set up like this?:

    Trans>>> cooler>>>radiator>>>trans

  11. #31
    Senior Member mrr23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    7,134

    dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

    mine is this
    Trans>>> cooler>>>trans

    yours should be this
    Trans>>> radiator>>>cooler>>>trans

    by going into the radiator last, that's why the fluid temps are still the same as the water temp.

  12. #32
    Member GA Country Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cumming, GA
    Posts
    182

    Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    mine is this
    Trans>>> cooler>>>trans

    yours should be this
    Trans>>> radiator>>>cooler>>>trans

    by going into the radiator last, that's why the fluid temps are still the same as the water temp.
    I'm set up the same way: trans/cooler/trans. I run the B&M cooler with the thermostatically controlled fan. That plus a deeper B&M trans pan (with three more quarts) is what makes my car liveable on the street in this hot weather.

    BTW, one problem with these "which torque converter" threads is that since TC stall speeds directly relate to engine output, it's somewhat meaningless to say "get this one or that one". I made a lengthy post on this subject in a previous thread so I wont repeat myself.
    Michael
    In GA waving from '02 C5 LS1, Z51, D1SC, 60lb injectors,RPM level 5-4L60E, 3:42, Yank 3600, QA1-12 ways, MTI long headers, high flow cats, Borlas, Wilwood, 603rwhp, 542rwtq.(DynoJet 248-C) 10.89@127.57 on street tires, Race Weight 3,640 lbs

  13. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Shawnee,KS
    Age
    33
    Posts
    29

    Silver
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

    I would get a converter with a speed 500-1K over what you want sometimes depending on what company they arent what they say. Heres a good link for converter picking out. Also if you plan on doing a cam or nitrous call around to cam companys tell them your application in the future and they will direct you to the right converter. If you get a N/A converter withi bolt ons it will run exellent if you add some nitrous on it your converter may not be that efficient if you have a n/a converter. Just my 2 cents. Go to this link.


    http://www.converter.cc/wizard/wizard2.htm

  14. #34
    Member GA Country Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cumming, GA
    Posts
    182

    Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by AutomagicLS1 View Post
    I would get a converter with a speed 500-1K over what you want sometimes depending on what company they arent what they say. Heres a good link for converter picking out. Also if you plan on doing a cam or nitrous call around to cam companys tell them your application in the future and they will direct you to the right converter. If you get a N/A converter withi bolt ons it will run exellent if you add some nitrous on it your converter may not be that efficient if you have a n/a converter. Just my 2 cents. Go to this link.


    http://www.converter.cc/wizard/wizard2.htm
    Thanks for posting that link. That was the info I copied and posted in my other post, but was unable to post the link because at that time I had not made enough posts to be allowed to post a link.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. stall converters
    By najaf4life in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-16-2008, 06:50 PM
  2. need some advice on stall speed
    By DemonSpeed in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-07-2008, 08:43 AM
  3. Need stall advice
    By Whiteboycntdnce in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 06:43 PM
  4. Advice Please on Torque Converters
    By 346ci in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-26-2008, 12:46 AM
  5. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-02-2007, 02:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •