M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

A4 tranny upgrades

Hey yall, im wanting to upgrade my tranny and so far from what ive read the best way to go on an auto is with a different stall torque converter. But thats kind of a big deal and my car has never seen the track and wont probably see it unless its once in a blue moon. This is a daily driver and i was thinking more along the lines of a B&M shift kit, a power servo from JET, a B&M trans cooler( if our cars dont have it already ), and just for shits and giggles to top it all off, a tranny temp gauge. Let me know if these would help and if the products themselves are any good. Oh, and the only other plans i got for the motor are some longtubes, a nice exaust system, a bigger TB, a colder thermostat, and maybe a chip or a tuner. Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

'01 M.R.M. TA A4:
    Bolt on's, suspension

'02 C.E.T.A. WS6 M6:
    Stock

Black
    99 SS

sounds good, i recommend the beast reaction shell also, and upgraded pumps. sometimes the tranny cooler can hurt the car it if is blocking air from getting to the radiator, i just upgraded my pumps in mine

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Thanks, but what is the shell and pumps? By shell do you mean the pan?

Black
    99 SS

its for the 2-3 shift. better pumps to move and circulate the fluid better

Black
    99 SS

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...roduct_Count=0

what i would do is find a good tranny shop and go and sit down and talk to them about what you want to do with the car and go from there

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

And to get to the shell and the pumps would you have to drop the tranny or is it something relatively simple, cause i like to do most of work myself.

Midnight Blue Metallic
    05 GTO

The beast shell manf. by SPX is an internal part that replaces the OEM prone to fail reaction carrier shell. The shell stops the low sungear on a 1-2 and 3-4 shift. It's very much internal. There are no pump (there is only 1) upgrades needed at your level. Honestly, I'm not going to recommend any mods if you are not up to the task. The best things for a DD would be an upgraded 4th servo, and a transgo 4L60E SK, seperator plate, and .500 Boost valve kit. All go in from the pan, and servo. A cooler is always good. The biggest one that fits, is the right one to use. Try to get a side tank style (looks like a radiator) instead of the tube and fin (snaking tube thru fins). The cooler system should look like this; bottom transmission cooler fitting > radiator> cooler> filter> top fitting on trans. You can bypass the radiator if you get a large enough cooler. Example 10"x 10"x 1.5" would be nice.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks alot TTS, i really appreciate it. Could you tell me a little bit more about the parts you talked about though(and where to get them). Im not too knowlegdeable in the auto. transmission field, but ive been reading some of your other posts and you sound very knowledgeable in that department. Thanks again!

ide go w/ the mods you said and stall it since your already going to be digging into the tranny. its no big deal for a tranny shop to change convertors for you and if you decide to cam your car you are going to need a stall. get a 10' or larger diamater 3500 stall.

Midnight Blue Metallic
    05 GTO

I don't know your level of skill, so some of the upgrades mentioned may be beyond your ability.

The best durability improvement would be a cooler. And a SK-4L60E kit along with a Transgo seperator plate would be my choice. You can skip the servo mods if pulling the servo is difficult for you. If the servo is no problem, a Sonnax 4th gear super servo is nice to add while there. Sonnax makes boost valves in stock .470" and HP .490" both are more wear resistant and easy to install while you are installing the SK in the pan (again easy is a reletive term). Transgo also makes a .500" steel version 4L60EBOOST- I think that's the part #.

I'm not sure where you can purchase any of this. Talk to local transmission shops, see what they can get for you. I don't use the SK4L60E kit, I know how to do those things without the added expense. For a easy job, it's the best bet and works well. The seperator plate is just a wear resistant part, the 1-2 feed control gets pounded and this plate handles it a little better. There will be some drilling, and you MUST install new EPC and shift solenoid screens. So order some of them when you get the rest.

And there are some plastic servo pistons @ 1-2 and Forward that can be replaced w/ aluminum. The forward acc. piston is in the VB and very prone to failure. The 1-2 is not as bad but should be replaced even by a new plastic one.
    Last edited by TTS; 04-28-2006 at 12:57 PM.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks again TTS, i'll have to write that stuff down and see if i can find a reputable tranny shop around here. Much Abliged!

Thread Information