blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

a4 shifter problem

been having troubles lately with my shifter.(A4) Sometimes it will not shift out of park when the butoon is pressed. I took off the shifter and it appears that the white plastic rod (that pushes down and releases the trans out of park) is slightly bent and iam guessing it binds and wont release. I guess my question is the white rod replaceable? If so how does one remove it? Has anybody else had the a simalir problem? Thanks for your inputs and comments in advance

Black
    2001 Pontiac

No, the white plastic rod in the shifter is not easily repairable.

But I've got a shortened A4 shifter assembly I'll sell ya.
    $50+s&H.

blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

Quote Originally Posted by PontiacFan View Post
    No, the white plastic rod in the shifter is not easily repairable.

But I've got a shortened A4 shifter assembly I'll sell ya.
    $50+s&H.
    how hard is it to install the shifter assembly? looks kinda difficult, and why is it shortended?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I have a dumb question....... Do you park the car on a hill alot? Does the shifter get stuck all the time, or just once in a while?
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I have a dumb question....... Do you park the car on a hill alot? Does the shifter get stuck all the time, or just once in a while?
    no such thing as a dumb question, but to answer your question, its always parked on the level or in the garage, sometimes it works and sometimes it dont. I beleive the white rod is bent slightly enough that when the button is pressed it doesnt push the rod down far eoungh to take it out of lock position.

blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

Update... After phoning the stealership and finding out they wanted nearly $350.00 for new shifter assembly (parts were not sold seperately) I decided to try a redneck fix. Once the shifter grip was pulled off it exposed the soft and somewhat bent white plastic rod. I then took a small drill bit and drilled down into the plastic rod about 1.5". Took the same bit and pushed it into the hole and cut off the excess steel off the bit. It works like a charm and definately stiffened and strengthened the skimpy plastic rod. Definately a red neck fix, but who cares, it saved me 350 bucks and nobody will ever notice it anyway. worked for me

Silver
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by razer900 View Post
    Update... After phoning the stealership and finding out they wanted nearly $350.00 for new shifter assembly (parts were not sold seperately) I decided to try a redneck fix. Once the shifter grip was pulled off it exposed the soft and somewhat bent white plastic rod. I then took a small drill bit and drilled down into the plastic rod about 1.5". Took the same bit and pushed it into the hole and cut off the excess steel off the bit. It works like a charm and definately stiffened and strengthened the skimpy plastic rod. Definately a red neck fix, but who cares, it saved me 350 bucks and nobody will ever notice it anyway. worked for me
    ha....very nice nothing wrong with that at all. ill actually do it if i have that problem later down the road lol

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by razer900 View Post
    You used neither bubble gum, bailing wire or duct tape so technically it's not really a "red neck" fix...

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    You used neither bubble gum, bailing wire or duct tape so technically it's not really a "red neck" fix...
    Agree!

Engineering a stonger part is not just a quick fix, but an actual repair that will have the best chance @ lasting... imho Quick fixes can come back to bite.. Good job man..
    Last edited by Smittro; 07-28-2010 at 07:34 PM.

blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

your forgetting rednecks have no teeth so i dont have any gum laying around, and i used up all the duct tape for my ram air mod! j/k, lol

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

You forgot JB Weld.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

To a redneck, it is'nt ductape, it's "200 mph" bondo.. Rednecks are also why JB-weld can be baught in large containers (because measuring can be ruled out). Cause ya never know when you may accidently shoot your trailer house with bird shot..
    Last edited by Smittro; 07-30-2010 at 05:50 AM.

Thread Information