BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

A4 Leaking Can you help me out?

Hi,
    I have a 98 z28 with a automatic transmission. About 2 months ago I got my local shop to install a new Derale transmission pan that has a drain plug,holds extra 2 quarts of fluid, and has tubes on the bottom of the pan to keep the fluid cooler. I went outside today and as I was backing out of the driveway I noticed trans. fluid on the ground where I was just parked(about a 1/8-1/4 cup). It looked like it sprayed out (like it was sprayed from a windex bottle) not just a lil puddle. Does this transmission have lines that go to the radiator to cool the fluid? Could it have a pin hole in the line(if it has a line)or could the line have a loose clamp? or could the bolts have come a bit loose on the pan? I ask this because my back is really messed up and I cant crawl under it. I have to take it somewhere but I dont want to get robbed. The way the fluid came out on the ground it looks like it had pressure behind it but I could be wrong. I drove her around a bit and then checked the ground and dont see any fluid on the ground now.Very strange.Thanks in advance guys for any information that could help me out. It really sucks not being able to just crawl under her and diagnose and fix her myself. -Mike

red
    2001 formula

Yes the transmission has parts that are under pressure. The fluid is under prssure that flows in and out of your trans cooler. Is it possible the fluid was there from another person parking there? I would make sure the fluid level is still full and keep monitering the bottom of your car to see if it leaks again. Stranger things have happened and mabe it was just a one time leak.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Ok I will keep a eye on it and check the fluid level in the morning. Yea it definately came from my car cause I park in the same spot in our drive and noone else parks there. I was leaving to go watch the memorial weekend drag races at the local track but I didnt go when I saw the fluid on the driveway. Didnt want to risk it. Thanks man

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I believe the transmission lines that go to the transmission cooler have a small length of rubber hose on them. Perhaps that could be the problem. Hopefully its nothing major and can be fixed easily. If that is the problem- Do you think I could cut off the factory connection to the rubber part of the trans coolant line and replace it with high pressure rubber hose and a couple of clamps? Or would that be rigging it and leak?
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 05-26-2007 at 08:53 PM.

red
    2001 formula

My formula has about a one foot length of rubber hose in each of the transmission lines they are on the passenger side of the car and run from the long line on up to the transmission cooler. Most of the auto parts stores sell transmission hose and they should just be held on with hose clamps. Should be an easy replace if thats where you can identify the leak from. Good luck

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Thanks man that helps me out cause I wasnt sure what side of the car they were on. I looked today and nothing?? I am gonna keep an eye on it.
    Thanks again-mike

Thread Information