Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

A4 Hitting the REV limiter?!?

This is a discussion on A4 Hitting the REV limiter?!? within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Originally Posted by pajeff02 Just beware, if you have a tune that jumps up the line pressure and then add ...

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Just beware, if you have a tune that jumps up the line pressure and then add a built trans with a modified valve body you may have issues... ask me how I know.
    This is very true.... Also if the op did decide to raise the line pressure he should be careful. On a stock tranny in good health it is beneficial to the clutches as it causes less wear and heat but on a tranny that is already on its way out it can actually shorten the life of the tranny by putting more stress on the already worn clutches.

Also the fact that it slips when cold doesnt have to do with the pcm tuning the car back. When the tranny is cold the clutches and bands are at the min dimensions, after the tranny warms up the fluid saturates the clutches and seals, and they warm up closing the tolerances which allows the tranny to shift better.

White
    2001 camaro SS

All Great info even tho this is nothing I want to be heaering!!!!! I hate having to tear into my car I always feel like once you take something apart its just never as good or the same EX: more shakes and rattles stuff just not feeling as put together. redbird ill be sending a PM, and pajeff lets hear it how do you know??
    2001 Camaro SS, LM 1, BMR LCA, relocation brackets, BMR springs, adj panhard bar, smooth below, lid, sub-frame connectors weld on, strut brace
    2000 WS6, ls6 intake, sub-frame connectors, slp maf, slp cat delete with slp y-pipe, electric cutout, strut brace, smooth below, slp lid, bmr LCA and RLB

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

I had the same problem last year after I just bought my Trans Am. The tranny started slipping while going from 3rd to 4th. I drove it like that for about 2-3 months before it let go doing 80mph. Luckly I had 1-2 to limp it home. I agreed with all the other guys. If you have to have it rebuilt....build it up. Spend the money now and save yourself other issue down the road. I only put a 1900 stall in mine because I'm completely stock and i can feel the difference. Also don't forget to replace the tran mount with something better than stock. I went thru two after having the tranny built before installing a aftermarket one.

White
    2001 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by initechpeter View Post
    I had the same problem last year after I just bought my Trans Am. The tranny started slipping while going from 3rd to 4th. I drove it like that for about 2-3 months before it let go doing 80mph. Luckly I had 1-2 to limp it home. I agreed with all the other guys. If you have to have it rebuilt....build it up. Spend the money now and save yourself other issue down the road. I only put a 1900 stall in mine because I'm completely stock and i can feel the difference. Also don't forget to replace the tran mount with something better than stock. I went thru two after having the tranny built before installing a aftermarket one.
    I just had the tranny mount put on like two months ago my stock one was 90% apart idk how it stayed together I didnt know it was like that and drove on it for a long time all the while still driving it hard... not good, but once that mount was put on 3 it giving me a bad vib under acceleration and holding at at 55 it vib also, so far I just put it to it being a solid mount I hope nothing is wrong, but all this is new to me so Idk man

White
    2001 camaro SS

I ran a 03 S281 s/c this morning from 15 and walked alway but 1st to 2nd shift went off the limiter like 3 times before it shifted, I still held him down tho haha would have been won by more if it wasnt for this d**m tranny problem.

Sebring Silver
    1998 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 01SsRacing View Post
    All Great info even tho this is nothing I want to be heaering!!!!! I hate having to tear into my car I always feel like once you take something apart its just never as good or the same EX: more shakes and rattles stuff just not feeling as put together. redbird ill be sending a PM, and pajeff lets hear it how do you know??
    Dont worry its not that bad, alot of people enjoy working on their own cars for that reason, to make sure its done right! There are also lots of reputable people out there too. Im thinking of even swapping my m6 for a th350, 400 or maybe a built 4l60e but plans are still being made. Nice kill on the saleen too

White
    2001 camaro SS

Im trying to find some of those reputable people around me, im in the orlando area and there use to be a great ls shop not far but he moved up north, redbird gave me a new for someone that knows 4l60E so ill check that out. But all the shops Ive found so far just work on imports and high end imports no one that really knows f-bodys

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I was running a mail order tune with ramped up line pressures and then installed a Performabuilt Level II transmission. Took it on a 2 mile test drive after installation and things were beyond ugly. It was an experience I do not recommend. Sorted out the tune and all was well.

White
    2001 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I was running a mail order tune with ramped up line pressures and then installed a Performabuilt Level II transmission. Took it on a 2 mile test drive after installation and things were beyond ugly. It was an experience I do not recommend. Sorted out the tune and all was well.
    why do you think it ran so bad with the tune you had with the stock tans?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Keep letting the car bounce off the limiter and you'll be rebuilding both the engine and transmission.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

why do you think it ran so bad with the tune you had with the stock tans?

It ran awesome with the stock transmission and tune. It was only when I installed the aftermarket transmission that things went awry. Once the line pressures were returned to stock in the tune, everything settled in and worked great.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Keep letting the car bounce off the limiter and you'll be rebuilding both the engine and transmission.
    Or at the least you'll have a handful of pushrods to replace.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by FinZ28 View Post
    Or at the least you'll have a handful of pushrods to replace.
    The rev limiter won't let you hurt the pushrods... That's what it's there for but none the less smacking the limiter isn't good. All that's doing is hurting the tranny even more. To the op sorry Greg isn't in the biz of the 4l60es anymore but other than him call FLT they make some top notch ones. I used to like performs built but it seems lately their customer service has been going down hill

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Rev limiter also cuts fueling = lean condition
    It's on jackstands.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information