98 trans am trans vac lines???

This is a discussion on 98 trans am trans vac lines??? within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Bought an engine / trans(460E) LS1 out of a 98 trans am. Need to know where the vac line with ...

98 trans am trans vac lines???

Bought an engine / trans(460E) LS1 out of a 98 trans am. Need to know where the vac line with a tee connects to that is comimng out of the top/ middle of the trans.case. Thanks

blue
    2000ss

Those are not vaccum lines, They just redirect possible overflow from the vent. Do not hook them to vacume.

Thanks. Shouid I plug them or where do they go???

blue
    2000ss

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Glowacky View Post
    Thanks. Shouid I plug them or where do they go???
    Most cars do not use them . Trucks have them to keep the vent above water when 4x4 use. Some people put them on car trans to make catch cans for the strip in case they do overflow.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Don't plug it. If nothing else just leave the line off of it. You can just run it to the back of the vehicle and be fine.

The hose is supposed to run along the torque arm attached with clips.

Thank You all . The hose and clips are still on the trans.hose. There is a tee that is open.(I will plug this) Also what is a torque arm??? The motor and trans are out of the car. I'm thinking of running the hose down the frame rail.

The torque arm is the stamped steel suspenion piece that connects the rear axle to the transmission tailshaft. I runs parallel with the driveshaft.

Thanks, when setting up my driveline I did not use a torque arm. I now know what you are talking about as I am fimiliar with corvettes which have them also. There is a filter on the end of the tee on the rubber line. Any thoughts on what this is for???

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Glowacky View Post
    Thanks, when setting up my driveline I did not use a torque arm. I now know what you are talking about as I am fimiliar with corvettes which have them also. There is a filter on the end of the tee on the rubber line. Any thoughts on what this is for???
    Talk about opening up a can of worms...

What do you mean you did not use the torque arm? Did you convert the car to a ladder bar or 4 link setup?

And the transmission vent hose most certainly does NOT have a filter on it. I think you're a little confused here. Perhaps you should post up a picture.

Don't mean to open any type of can. I put this engine/ trans set up in a street rod. It has a 84 Corvette rear end behind it. It is a 4 bar factory set up with a factory fiberglass rear spring. Instead of running a torque bar to the trans I fabicated one to the frame (This car has a full frame)and then did the same to the trans. Therefor the entire set up is not going to move without it all not moving. As far as the trans rubber hose. It has a tee on it about 3" from the trans with a filter hooked to the tee. This is a small inline filterPlastic) not a canister type. Looks like a vac filter to me.

Went and talked to a trans man. Showed him the rubber hose and filter. He said the filter should not be on there. It is vent hose incase you go through high water. He said remove the filter and run the hose up as high as I want. Thanks everyone. Don't know who put the filter and tee on there. You all were a great help.

Pewter
    1999 Chev Z28 Camaro,

Could that filter be a check valve? When I changed my rear axle from the Vega axle GM installed in the Z28's to the Ford 9 inch, I had an extra part on the floor. It was a vacuum line, or it looked like a vacuum rubber hose/line and it has attached to it a check valve. Looks similar to the check valves used on the vacuum systems for the heater and air controls. I will send digitals if someone tells me how to send them to this forum.

Thread Information