red
    1998 pontiac trans am

Exclamation 98 AUTO trans am

MY trans am is a 1998 ls1 w/89k. My car will not accelerate as usual, when i try to step on it the car chokes and stops breathing...The RPMs wont go further than 3 and when i try to accelerate to pass someone it goes slow like a turtle. My car is lacking power, does anyone have a clue? It isnt the fuel pump or the filter....

Black
    99 SS

might be the TQ converter or planet gears hard to tell without the trans being out.

red
    1998 pontiac trans am

about the TA

Man I am bummed out, these cars have so much power andbring so many people a rush.....my p.o.s. car has just given me headaches....Ill check it out and see if its the tranny but i doubt its that I had it checked 4 months ago and there were no metal shavings

Black
    99 SS

is it an intermentent problem? or does it happen all the time, it just soounds like a trans prolbem to me after taking an auto trans class

red
    1998 pontiac trans am

explanation

check it out when i turn on the car it turns off unless i give it a little gas...then it stays on....i can rev up to whatever when i am parked but it is when i start driving that the car acts as if it runs out of gas...even though it has alot...The car goes up to 90 mph but very slowly to get there. I cant haul ass i drive at the #2-2.5 RPM and it gets me to where i need to go but? like i said i have no power to pass anyone

Black
    99 SS

yea sounds like a deffinate trans problem to me, I want some others to chime in here and give some feed back also, so you can free rev, but no power when trans is engaged. it has got to be the converter or something man or some clutches went out on it.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    yea sounds like a deffinate trans problem to me, I want some others to chime in here and give some feed back also, so you can free rev, but no power when trans is engaged. it has got to be the converter or something man or some clutches went out on it.
    yea the tq convert could be causing it.

medium blue metallic
    1999 z28 camaro

Check your maf sensor and tps sensor. When you unhook the tps this is the symptom it will cause. It makes the trans shift right at 2-2.5 in every gear.

red
    1998 pontiac trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    I really hope its not my tranny the MAF sensor comes out when i place the computer to it, but could this be because i took out the MAF screen?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

First replace the fuel filter. It could be severely clogged and limiting the engine's fuel flow.

If you change the filter and its still chokeing/bogging, you may have plugged up cats. Thats the classic symptom, no power and the RPM's won't climb above a certain point. Unbolt your catalytic converters from the manifolds, run the motor, and see if the issue goes away. Don't run it for too long though, open headers aren't the best for the valves. If that solves the issues, the cats are plugged up and need to be removed/replaced. I'd just install longtubes in their place

If neither of those are the issue, then its probably the transmission that is causing it. If the SES light is on, have the code pulled and see what it comes up with. Trans could either be acting up due to a software problem or an internal malfunction, you'd have to get it checked out.

Black
    99 SS

why I think its the trans is because he can free rev when he is in park position and have no problems, but the problem start when he is driving, now if it was the MAF or MAP, or TPS. those are all linked with the transmission also sending it signals to change gears. so if it is not fixed by checking everything else then it is the transmission man sorry

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

try putting the screen back in your maf, I had a Gmaf that made my car act like that and would even throw codes. took it off and put stocker back on and no more problems. Just a suggestion. Hope you figure it out.

red
    1998 pontiac trans am

Thumbs up taking it in

i am getting it checked out tomorrow but ill let you guys know what it was...thanks to all for your suggestions...

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

ick....good luck.

white
    2000 Camaro Z28

I had the same problem with my 2000 Z28, Was a dirty MAF, probaly oil from my K&N filter.

Clean it with a cleaner for electeric sensors, or non clorinated brake cleaner

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    If you change the filter and its still chokeing/bogging, you may have plugged up cats. Thats the classic symptom, no power and the RPM's won't climb above a certain point.
    that was actually the first thing that came to mind. I've seen these exact symptoms from plugged cats. Doesn't necessarily mean that's what your problem is but I've seen this cause it.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

For all the people that are saying it can be a MAF problem.. It certainly can cause some fucked up stuff to hapen within your engine. I blew mine up with a N2O backfire and my car ran insanely wierd til I got home and replaced it. Easy enough to check though. Just pull your engine sensors fuse that is in your engine bay and your car wont take any input from the MAF any longer. That could certainly make your car die on you upon start up. Start with the easiest things first. As for the TPS you can disconnect that and hook a multimeter up to it and get a voltage reading while you moev the TPS sensor and see if you are getting proper voltage. All the step are on theforum if you run a search. At least if its not those two things then you have them eliminated instead of wondering. Next thing would be to unbolt your cats.. Not that difficult to do either and then if that doesnt work for you take it to a trans shop. They have some great troubleshooting tools and should be able to see if your trans is struggling. Last step would be to come on here and tell everyone everything that you found

red
    1998 pontiac trans am

Exclamation I finally got her fixed!!!!!!!!!!11

I had alot of suggestions and I appreciate you guys trying to help. The whole problem with the car ended up being my fuel pump and my filter was also clogged. I could have killed the mechanics i had look at my car. Everyone was saying it was my transmission. I was ready to throw in the towel..... Then i cut off the pipes and went with my gut feeling and bought the fuel pump for about 400$.
    I got her fixed but now I have a different problem I think its something electrical because I got the tranny looked at and there were no metal shavings at all. I turn on the car and when I try to reverse or place it into drive its as if the car accelerates on its own....I then have to make a complete stop so the RPMs calm down.....I wait and the engine chills out and I am on my way again. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by fastassbird05 View Post
    I had alot of suggestions and I appreciate you guys trying to help. The whole problem with the car ended up being my fuel pump and my filter was also clogged. I could have killed the mechanics i had look at my car. Everyone was saying it was my transmission. I was ready to throw in the towel..... Then i cut off the pipes and went with my gut feeling and bought the fuel pump for about 400$.
    I got her fixed but now I have a different problem I think its something electrical because I got the tranny looked at and there were no metal shavings at all. I turn on the car and when I try to reverse or place it into drive its as if the car accelerates on its own....I then have to make a complete stop so the RPMs calm down.....I wait and the engine chills out and I am on my way again. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    Interesting...glad to hear the fuel issue is fixed.

As for the new issue...sounds almost normal to me. Whenever you put the car in gear, its going to want to accelerate on its own due to the torque converter being engaged. Its normal for it to creep along when you let off the break pedal. RPM's shouldn't go above idle though, if they do, then you might have a problem with the TPS/IAC controlling the idle speed.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Interesting...glad to hear the fuel issue is fixed.

As for the new issue...sounds almost normal to me. Whenever you put the car in gear, its going to want to accelerate on its own due to the torque converter being engaged. Its normal for it to creep along when you let off the break pedal. RPM's shouldn't go above idle though, if they do, then you might have a problem with the TPS/IAC controlling the idle speed.

Thread Information