Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

6 speed auto in 4th Gen?

This is a discussion on 6 speed auto in 4th Gen? within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; I was wondering: what will it take to swap my 4 speed auto for a modern 6 speed, like the ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    42

    Dark Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

    6 speed auto in 4th Gen?

    I was wondering:
    what will it take to swap my 4 speed auto for a modern 6 speed, like the 6L80?
    Can it be done?
    Should I or should I not want this?

    Mg

  2. #2
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    I've wondered tge same thing about my 04 GTO.
    I know in the hptuners program there are some settings for 5th and 6th gear

  3. #3
    Senior Member JaycenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Holiday,FL
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,378

    Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

    Mechanically I can't imagine that the motor side stuff would be all that different because it is an LSX motor it comes on. Only thing you may need is a different controller, mod the trans braket, resize the drive shaft and maybe change the input yoke. The TC, flex and pump shaft length should be spot on.

  4. #4
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,119

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    They do sell a kit from a corvette. Do not know the name of the company but it can be done.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    42

    Dark Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

    thanks so far, more info is welcome!
    What would it mean performance-wise (accelleration, top speed) and in terms of fuel consumption?

  6. #6
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,119

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Not really sure, all I know is there optional 2.73 gear would make our stock 3.23 a little faster. I would have to imagine better gearing but I am going to have to look that info up.

  7. #7
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by matthijsgrit View Post
    thanks so far, more info is welcome!
    What would it mean performance-wise (accelleration, top speed) and in terms of fuel consumption?
    if I am correct the 6 speed gives you a steeper 1st gear, slightly closer gear ratio, so you get to keep the motor at peak power better and turn lower rpms in 6th

    a6 ratio's
    (1st) 4.484
    (2nd) 2.872
    (3rd) 1.842
    (4th) 1.414
    (5th) 1.000
    (6th) 0.742
    (reverse)2.88


    a4 ratio's
    (1st) 3.06
    (2nd)1.63
    (3rd) 1.00
    (4th) 0.70
    (reverse) 2.29

  8. #8
    Junior Member Lanaue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Parkville MD.
    Posts
    41

    Blue
    1999 Z28 SS

    I was looking into doing the same to my 3rd gen Z28. Just give them about 6-8 months and someone will have a kit.You know it's been asked.

  9. #9
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,119

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Quote Originally Posted by Lanaue View Post
    I was looking into doing the same to my 3rd gen Z28. Just give them about 6-8 months and someone will have a kit.You know it's been asked.
    There is a kit it even comes with those paddle shifters-I just don't know the name.

  10. #10
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    with the 4.484 1st gear, you wouldn't need 411's would you lol

  11. #11
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,119

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    with the 4.484 1st gear, you wouldn't need 411's would you lol
    You wouldn't want 3.73's

  12. #12
    Senior Member JaycenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Holiday,FL
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,378

    Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

    Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    You wouldn't want 3.73's
    Well.... I have a 2007 tundra and it has a 5 speed auto and one of the things that caught my attention was the 4.10 rear gear and the 3.8X first gear. It is wild but works out great any more gear and it would be a waist but that is just right for the power of the 4.7 motor and the wieght of the truck for what it needs to do. I would say your right about the 4.10's but depending on the power you are making 3.73's may be right on the money. If you make more power I would say 3.23 or 3.50 or so would fit better but then it still depends on engine setup. boost motors like less gear because they have a chance to build full boost before a shift point. Cool Idea though

  13. #13
    What I do? SHines-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    FL, USA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,545
    2011 Prius

    Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    There is a kit it even comes with those paddle shifters-I just don't know the name.
    I saw this somewhere to, it's saved on an old computer, but I got mad and broke it.

  14. #14
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,119

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    I saw this somewhere to, it's saved on an old computer, but I got mad and broke it.
    ?


  15. #15
    Member 346ci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AK
    Age
    24
    Posts
    553

    NBM
    1998 Z-28

    I think the swap would be quit involved as the 6L80 has an internal TCM in the valve body controlling it. Where as the 4th gens has a PCM controlling the trans. I dont think you could tie in the 6L80's TCM with a 4th gen PCM, much less there being a way to tune it.

    Unless there is some aftermarket conversion kit I am unaware of, I think you would need an ECM and harness that is compatible with the 6l80's TCM, such as one from an LS3 that is designed to operate with that trans. I could be wrong, but I think it may be more headache and cost than it's worth.

  16. #16
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by 346ci View Post
    I think the swap would be quit involved as the 6L80 has an internal TCM in the valve body controlling it. Where as the 4th gens has a PCM controlling the trans. I dont think you could tie in the 6L80's TCM with a 4th gen PCM, much less there being a way to tune it.

    Unless there is some aftermarket conversion kit I am unaware of, I think you would need an ECM and harness that is compatible with the 6l80's TCM, such as one from an LS3 that is designed to operate with that trans. I could be wrong, but I think it may be more headache and cost than it's worth.
    I know there are companies that offer tranny controllers for the 4l60e in older cars for $400-$600, I'm sure they have them for the 6 speed too

  17. #17
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,859

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    Google a company called Speartech

  18. #18
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,859

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    I did some research and it seems that its most common to get a engine control module that is compatible with the existing trans module built into the 6L80e. Sounds like the 6L80e's shift setup and controls are very complex.

  19. #19
    Senior Member JaycenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Holiday,FL
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,378

    Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I did some research and it seems that its most common to get a engine control module that is compatible with the existing trans module built into the 6L80e. Sounds like the 6L80e's shift setup and controls are very complex.
    Sorry cutlass I have read that statement and for some reason I just cant figure it out. Are you saying that you can get a Factory ECM that can control the 6L80E and the Ls1's in an F body? or that you need an after market companies controller for both engine and trans? or did I just flat out have a brain fart and misunderstand that all together?
    I may be loosing it

  20. #20
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    Sorry cutlass I have read that statement and for some reason I just cant figure it out. Are you saying that you can get a Factory ECM that can control the 6L80E and the Ls1's in an F body? or that you need an after market companies controller for both engine and trans? or did I just flat out have a brain fart and misunderstand that all together?
    I may be loosing it
    stock computer out of a car that came with an a6 would work.
    you'd probably need the matching wiring harness too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 4th Gen fbody with 3.42 gears?
    By The Project in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-15-2008, 03:58 PM
  2. 1st gen guages on 4th gen?
    By Frankthetank in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-16-2007, 04:51 PM
  3. 4th gen rear in 3rd gen car
    By davegz28 in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-07-2006, 03:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •