Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    2002 camaro z28

Thumbs up 4l60e rebuild-shift kit

I'm going to have my tranny rebuilt this week. I would like it to shift a little more aggressive. Could anyone help me out with a link for a shift kit so I can have it installed.

I currently have had issuse with a slight power loss and have now noticed that under WOT and when my car hits second gear I hear a sound which sounds like A clutch slipping a little a the moment when it shifts ,It sounds like a brief swoosh but NOT high pitched like a belt sounds when it slips. Has anyone had this happen to them. Also as I go threw first gear and as the rpm picks up I think that the first gear may be slipping a little. All input is heplful

Thank You

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

well most of the time they slip from 4th on back. You might have a problem with the 2/4 band or an apply pressure problem. Are you going to rebuild or have someone do it for you? If you are having a builder do it you just ask him what kit he likes to install.

black
    2002 camaro z28

I'm having it done ,its local tranny shop . A friend of a friend and he's charging me 1100 out the door. He told me today that he builds all of the local race cars tranny's that the race at the local speedways. He also tols me that he will firm up the shifts. I'm really looking forward to the results

Well I would have suggested a simple tune first,,,to eliminate torque management and higher shift pressures and see what that did for it before sinking money in the tranny rebuild.
    These auto's have alot of safety features built into the tune to help that 4L60E survive and also to please the general buying public with a cushier ride,,,,which gives you softer upshifts, pulling timing etc...and it can give the sensation of a slipping tranny.

But since you are into it already,,,that's not a bad thing, may as well upgrade some parts and fix one of the weak links in the driveline anyway.

navy blue metallic
    01 chevy camaro z28

I work at a transmission shop here in the Bay area and we see these trannies all day long (they are our "bread and butter units"). First off, if your feeling a loss of power look towards a restriction (engine related). Plugged up fuel filters and bad catylitic converters is what we see all the time. Now for the tranny, shift kits are O.k. but all they do is boost mainline pressure a little and firm up shifts. What I recomend is look towards durablity. Sonnax makes alot of upgrades for the 2-4 servo concerns, "Corvette style is nice but I think they just came out with one even better. for third go with the "Z-pack 3-4 clutches" from Raybestos, if pressure is high even it will even chirp tires on 2-3. difinetly change input sprag even if checks out O.k. if you plan to be "launching from stops".

Most of the 4L60's in V8 Fbodies already had the corvette servo's by 2002.

I realized this after I bought a corvette servo setup and pulled mine apart only to find they were already there.

navy blue metallic
    01 chevy camaro z28

If he has the corvette servo setup already and is STILL having 2nd gear issues (possible squak on band apply) going of his post.Then he will eat up his fresh trans too.He obviuosly needs more help keeping that band on and more line psi. I have the part # for sonnax's new servo that is ridiculous. it is sonnax#77911-03k check it out on their web sight if it is even on there yet. Also what we do is turn the EPC soleniod IN 1/2 turn to raise line psi, but be careful to not get carried away with the soleniod adj.

Quote Originally Posted by full_360 View Post
    If he has the corvette servo setup already and is STILL having 2nd gear issues (possible squak on band apply) going of his post.Then he will eat up his fresh trans too.He obviuosly needs more help keeping that band on and more line psi. I have the part # for sonnax's new servo that is ridiculous. it is sonnax#77911-03k check it out on their web sight if it is even on there yet. Also what we do is turn the EPC soleniod IN 1/2 turn to raise line psi, but be careful to not get carried away with the soleniod adj.
    Sonnax makes great tranny parts, I've used them on builds in the past.

Turning the little screw on the EPC solenoid does up the line pressure,,,but it causes other issues too. It ups the pressure everywhere accross the board...
    It will also cause "in gear" harsh shifting,,,meaning everytime you go from park to drive or neutral to reverse it will "BANG" into gear,,,a very unpleasant situation,,,and if you don't have your foot on the brake "hard" it will shove the car. Very hard on parts.
    Better off to up the line pressures either via shift kit,,,or in the tune. You can tailor the line pressures in the tune to your desired feel,,upshifting and downshifting,,,and not have that dreaded "bang" when you slide it into gear.

navy blue metallic
    01 chevy camaro z28

Trying to build a bullet proof unit that is suitable for everyday drivers is still to be seen. In the transmission industry it is always give and take.you want a tranny to put up with that much abuse, you can't be complaining of a bump going into gear. If you want a trans to put up with that much abuse but be a daily driver then get a manual trans. I use only proven products in my builds and tend to stick to what works. The tips I supplied work.

You can build them bulletproof and still be very comfortable to live with day in and day out...

The suggestion of turning up the pressure with the EPC solenoid is not the best route. It makes the trans harsh all over the board,,which is not necessary, hard on the planetaries and is really unnecessary abuse. You don't have to live with a trans that bangs from neutral to drive to have something bulletproof.
    As I mentioned there are much better ways of playing with line pressure.

navy blue metallic
    01 chevy camaro z28

Adjusting the EPC is just a STEP or piece of the puzzle. adjusting the EPC by it's self is not recommended. It is done along with OBVIOUS shift kit AND reprograming of PCM. By the adjusting the screw, raises line pres. by only 7 lbs. Not enough to damage planets. 1 lb of line psi = only 1.5 degree raise in temp. Not a bad trade off. It ALL needs to be done to have a proven product. Shift kit and reprograming alone does not hold up on the cars we see.(450+ hp @ rear wheels)

Raising line pressure in this mannor is unnecessary. Doing it via shift kit and in the tune is a much better method and all that is necessary, even in the low HP builds you are seeing. You can get all the line pressure you need via a tune without monkeying around with the EPC.
    Sorry we can't agree, I learned this stuff from the best in the business as far as I'm concerned.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You can build them bulletproof and still be very comfortable to live with day in and day out...

The suggestion of turning up the pressure with the EPC solenoid is not the best route. It makes the trans harsh all over the board,,which is not necessary, hard on the planetaries and is really unnecessary abuse. You don't have to live with a trans that bangs from neutral to drive to have something bulletproof.
    As I mentioned there are much better ways of playing with line pressure.
    wait a minute! since reinstalling my pcm after a tune by frost, my car has an outstanding 1-2 shift, very crisp 2-3,3-4,but when going to drive it bangs hard. like, the car lurches and i cringe, thinking that i need to replace my trans mount, and do something with the t/a to handle the increase in stress on the driveline. i wasnt expecting this, but i thought it was one of those trade-offs when you crank things up. does this seem out of the ordinary to you? i was also thinking i need a higher stall to soften the drop into drive, maybe something is wrong. maybe it is a bad trans mount and or ta bushing causing the the harsh bang into drive. 113k is a lot of miles on oem bushings/rubber mounts.
    Last edited by dklowrider; 07-09-2009 at 04:16 PM.

I wouldn't think it's anything Frost did. You can up the line pressures for shift firmness in the tune and not affect how the trans goes into gear at all, that's the beauty of it. I'd check with him though as I'm not sure what he would have changed, he has helped me out with tuning using HPtuner and has always steered me right.
    Not a bad idea to check the tranny mount, that's a common issue with these cars.

navy blue metallic
    01 chevy camaro z28

Obviously this is going nowhere. This is the typical situation that starts off as a guy trying to help another guy and ends up being a competition of who has the biggest input shaft! In the classroom situation it doesn't make since to adjust the EPC but when you are in the "trenches" on a daily basis and building automatic transmission for a living it is a little different. So let's do this; you go back to surfing the web and picking arguments with guys that are trying to help fellow hot-rodders and I'll get back to building Bullet proof trannies. Maybe the next time one of "your" guys brings you back pieces of your "builds" in a box you will take a minute to remember a lone soldier from the bay area that wasn't afraid to think out of the box. To get back to the topic of Trannies just remember what you are driving..... A CHEVROLET ... NOT.. A CADILLAC... P.s. the guys that taught me after running their tranny shops all day, they go to "BALCO" and work on the transmission troubleshooter for SNAP-ON

You have no clue But that's okay, if you want to measure penis size then I'll just stick to what Joe C has taught me that builds for Joe Gibbs Racing of nascar fame as well as several monster truck teams that travel the country.
    Nobody here jumped on your case,,,I only mentioned the EPC adjustment wasn't necessary as there are better ways. But leave it to a youngin that gets all butt hurt, sorry to pee in your wheaties there bud. We all don't have to agree on things just to please others. I'm not here for that.

navy blue metallic
    01 chevy camaro z28

let's keep it simple, I have brought many ideas and tips to the conversation you have brought nothing but B.S. I have tried to keep my posts on subject and kept it profesional and I know others will appreciate that. As far as me being young..... who is the one getting personal and showing immaturity.....
    ...enough said....GOOD LUCK....

black
    02 vette vert

wow, is this over now? if you have no tolerance for someone with a differing opinion then you should keep your mouth shut. thats good advice i dont care who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    wow, is this over now? if you have no tolerance for someone with a differing opinion then you should keep your mouth shut. thats good advice i dont care who you are.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Maybe I just need to lock this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information