4L60E Problem's?????

This is a discussion on 4L60E Problem's????? within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; I have a 98 Camaro z28 about a month ago the tran's mission when't out.. ( started slipping 1st 2nd ...

silver
    97 e36 m3

4L60E Problem's?????

I have a 98 Camaro z28 about a month ago the tran's mission when't out.. ( started slipping 1st 2nd and 3rd gear )

pulled it apart and rebuilt it turn's out two of the snap ring's that hold the clutch pack return spring's where broken. it has 110000mile's on it so I replaced all the clutch pack's,tourque conveter 2000 stall,seal's,sunshell,planet's,bearing's,bushing's and electronic's in the transmission...

I put it back in the car and now I have nothing at all.. I took it back apart and when't through it part for part front to rear to make sure I did miss anything... and still nothing... any thought's or idea's I am out of them and don't even know where to look for more....

I have the GM spec's and service manuel's for the transmission.... if you need it PM me and i'll e-mail it to you.

oh ya when you put in gear (even reverse) the tire's spin forward with no torque at all.... you can stop them with your hand's and spin them backward's.....
    Last edited by kaine806; 07-21-2009 at 09:48 AM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Sounds like you have no fluid pressure at all...anywhere in the transmission. You could unscrew one of the cooler lines, point it in a bucket, and start the car up for a few seconds to see if you have any cooler flow. If you do then at least you'll know the filter is hooked up correctly and the pump is turning/pumping.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

electrical wise if you run out of stuff to look at you could just unplug the trans and it should go in to a defalt mode were you should mechanicaly have reverse, 2nd and 3rd with no lock up. just a way to get passed and PCM crap but sounds like mechanical.

May be a dumb question but I have to ask, Did you fill the torque converter with a quart of fluid?

silver
    97 e36 m3

yes I put a quart of fluid in the TC.. I'm running mobile1 tranny fluid in it.. has any one had any bad luck with that?
    I checked the pump out and didn't see any thing out wack in it... all the passage's are clear and the check ball's are in place... put it back in and i'm getting 125psi on the cooler line.
    the kit I used to rebuild it is from monster transmission & performance. I think the TC mite be bad..
    it came with some hardware that is a lot stronger than stock internal's on that tranny..

I'm gonna take down to SDPC tomorrow and have the ECM tested..

I'll post some picture's of what all I've put in it... i'm hoping to get this thing back on the road soon put don't know if I'll be able to.
    Last edited by kaine806; 07-22-2009 at 08:49 PM.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

LOL monster?!?!?! LOL I just blew one thier tranies up after only 3 weeks. Thire right up the road from me. Had problems with it 2 weeks after install on stock HP and took it up to them 2 times in the car and then took it out of the car 2 times and said fix it and they never did take it appart. Finally after 5 months of F'n with it it finally blew up on a first to second shift. They are good about thier warrenty they rebuilt it and gave me a new TC and it works so far. only 2 months in to this one. turns out I broke the beast sunshell. Turns out the shell must have been a bad forge or something cuz it broke it in an odd spot.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

by the way if you call them for tech don't try getting through to thier tech line they never answer and they don't call you back. I always had to call new sales and then tell them my problem and the would get a tech on the phone. Ask for Curt he is thier head tech. Tell him the guy from holiday with the green 97 camaro said hi and the trans is working fine so far. If he can't remember just tell him the guy that broke the sun shell in an odd spot, lol he will remember.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    the guy that broke the sun shell in an odd spot, lol he will remember.
    our biggest failure point

silver
    97 e36 m3

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    by the way if you call them for tech don't try getting through to thier tech line they never answer and they don't call you back. I always had to call new sales and then tell them my problem and the would get a tech on the phone. Ask for Curt he is thier head tech. Tell him the guy from holiday with the green 97 camaro said hi and the trans is working fine so far. If he can't remember just tell him the guy that broke the sun shell in an odd spot, lol he will remember.
    Thank's for the info.... I've been getting a little piss't about them never calling back...

this is the snap ring that was missing when I pulled it apart... I'm not real sure why it was broken... the ring was no where to be found.. got all new snap ring's from the dealer... I stripped the it all the way down to the case and had it cleaned to make sure nothing was in it or on it.. checked every hole and passage and never found the ring... I'm thinking that the last time it was rebuilt they missed it.

here are a few more pic's... let me know if you see anything that doesn't look right..

Last edited by kaine806; 07-23-2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: remove 1 picture

silver
    97 e36 m3

Ok found the problem's.... finally... 1st was the supply line running to the cooler had caved in on itself right above the K member.
    2nd was that there was too tight of clearance on the low input clutch so it was not disengaging like it should and hanging in 1st gear...
    I replaced all the line's with AN6 fitting's and some 3000PSI rated 3/4" hose from work...
    and then checked the low apply cluch and the steel's looked a little thicker than the stock one's so I stacked them up and the where .160 taller than the stock one's so i cleaned up the stock one's and put them back in.. and it work's like a champ.... but we will see how long it last's....
    Last edited by kaine806; 07-30-2009 at 06:40 PM.

silver
    97 e36 m3

Quote Originally Posted by kaine806 View Post
    Ok found the problem's.... finally... 1st was the supply line running to the cooler had caved in on itself right above the K member.
    2nd was that there was too tight of clearance on the low input clutch so it was not disengaging like it should and hanging in 1st gear...
    I replaced all the line's with AN6 fitting's and some 3000PSI rated 3/4" hose from work...
    and then checked the low apply cluch and the steel's looked a little thicker than the stock one's so I stacked them up and the where .160 taller than the stock one's so i cleaned up the stock one's and put them back in.. and it work's like a champ.... but we will see how long it last's....
    damn...lol i spoke to soon....
    it started acting up again so I pulled out the scanner and these are the code's I'm getting.. it's staying in 3rd gear again.

p0113 IAT sensor 1 high
    p0443 EVAP perge valve C
    p0481 cooling fan control circuit
    p0740 TCC circuit malfunction
    p0753 Shift solenoid A circuit electrical
    p0758 Shift solenoid B circuit electrical
    p0785 Shift/timing selonoid malfuction
    p1860 PWM lock up valve ( the kit is installed to prevent this code )

all the electronics in the transmisssion are new.. I know that once in a while you mite get a bad part but i dont think that all of them could be bad.

I've checked the shift solenoid's and the TCC and they seam to be good.
    I had 20.4ohm's on solenoid's A&B and can't remember what I had on the TCC solenoid but it was good as well...

I'm stuck with it and don't even know where to start looking.... any thought's?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

There is a GM service bulletin for this problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by GM
    #01-07-30-002E: MIL On, Transmission Stuck in Second or Third Gear, IPC Inoperative, DTCs P0740,P0753,P0758,P0785,P0787,P0973,P0976,P1860,P2 761,P2764 and/or P2769 Set (Verify and Repair Source of Voltage Loss - (Sep 23, 2005)

Subject: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) On, Transmission Stuck in Second or Third Gear, Instrument Cluster Inoperative (Verify and Repair Source of Voltage Loss In Transmission Solenoid Power Supply Circuit )

Models: 2006 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks
    2005-2006 HUMMER H2
    2006 HUMMER H3
    2005-2006 Saab 9-7X
    with 4L60-E, 4L65-E, 4L80-E or 4L85-E Automatic Transmission (RPOs M30, M32, M33, MT1, MN8)

This bulletin is being revised to update model years, add additional models and add additional diagnostic information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-07-30-002D (Section 07 -- Transmission/Transaxle).
    Condition

Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:
    The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) is ON.
    The transmission is defaulted to second gear (4L80/85-E).
    The transmission is defaulted to third gear (4L60/65-E).
    The instrument cluster is inoperative.

Upon investigation, one or all of the diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0740, P0753, P0758, P0785, P0787, P0973, P0976, P1860, P2761, P2764 and P2769 may be set depending on the vehicle.
    Cause

The most likely cause of this condition may be a loss of voltage to the transmission solenoid power supply circuit.

This condition may also be the result of an incorrect installation of an aftermarket electronic device such as a remote starter or alarm system.
    Correction

Important: If the vehicle is equipped with an aftermarket electronic device and the DTCs are being set when the device is being used, verify that the appropriate fuse is being supplied battery voltage during operation. If voltage is not present at this fuse, these DTCs will be set due to lack of voltage at the solenoids. This condition is most likely to occur with an incorrectly installed remote starting system. If this is the case, refer the customer to the installer of the system for corrections. ANY REPAIRS DUE TO AFTERMARKET INSTALLATION OF ACCESSORIES IS A NON-WARRANTABLE ITEM.

1. With the ignition switch in the RUN position, test for battery voltage at the circuit fuse in the transmission solenoid power supply circuit. Refer to the appropriate SI Document for the transmission solenoid power supply circuit information.
    2. If battery voltage is present at the fuse, inspect the ignition voltage circuit between the fuse and the transmission for possible opens.
    3. If battery voltage is not present at the fuse, test for continuity between the fuse and the ignition switch. If NO continuity is between the fuse and the ignition switch, repair the open in that circuit.
    4. If you have continuity between the fuse and the ignition switch, the most likely cause is the ignition switch. Replace the ignition switch using the appropriate Ignition Switch Replacement procedure in SI. Refer to group number 2.188 of the parts catalog for part description and usage of the ignition switch.

silver
    97 e36 m3

oh.... thank you...

where does the transmission get it power from? I've been going through it and can't find anything and this crappy haghn's manuel isn't helping any and the chilton's isn't any better...lol
    If some one has a good wiring diagram from the 98 it would help a lot..
    Last edited by kaine806; 08-07-2009 at 05:18 PM.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

You need to order the tech manuals. I got my paper copies from a mechanic that was helping me out but mine is 97 and an LT1 car so my pcm and harness is different.

silver
    97 e36 m3

ok I found the problem.....
    on the PS fender well where the wire come's from the transmissio around to the fuse panel it was run down under the battery and I guess the vibration from the car running had been wearing on it for a while... six of the wire's in the harness where cut all the way through... I fix all of them and all my check engine light's are gone and it is working better than ever... I'll post some pic's of it so that if any one else has this problem they will know one place to check...

thank's to every one for the help....

whit

LOL

Thread Information