4L60E no 2nd or 3rd

This is a discussion on 4L60E no 2nd or 3rd within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; well first off I was getting codes for throttle position and code p1810 for the trans. fixed the throttle positioner ...

teal
    96,s10

4L60E no 2nd or 3rd

well first off I was getting codes for throttle position and code p1810 for the trans. fixed the throttle positioner and that part is now fine cleared the codes and i dont have any codes now but tranny still wont go into 3rd. i can put it in auto overdrive and will go fine until its time to hit 3rd then it slips does same in drive. im thinking to start out disconnecting 20 pin connecter to see if it goes into default 3rd. any ideals. 96 chevy s10 4.3 code p1810 was cleared but does and doesnt always comeback.help
    Last edited by bcuellar; 02-04-2008 at 02:53 AM.

teal
    96,s10

no one has any ideals?

PEWTER
    2001 camaro

I had the same problem with my 01 camaro it in the shop getting the tranny replace now looking at about 2k+

blue
    98 firebird formula

My wouldn't go into 3rd at wot had it replaced and its the same

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by maroca View Post
    I had the same problem with my 01 camaro it in the shop getting the tranny replace now looking at about 2k+
    To rebuild a stock transmission shouldnt run more than $1500.00 unless you are getting it built for high HP.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by bcuellar View Post
    well first off I was getting codes for throttle position and code p1810 for the trans. fixed the throttle positioner and that part is now fine cleared the codes and i dont have any codes now but tranny still wont go into 3rd. i can put it in auto overdrive and will go fine until its time to hit 3rd then it slips does same in drive. im thinking to start out disconnecting 20 pin connecter to see if it goes into default 3rd. any ideals. 96 chevy s10 4.3 code p1810 was cleared but does and doesnt always comeback.help
    Try unhooking the battery for 15 minutes. Then go for a drive. Other than that I would change fluid/filter and see what happens. Maybe a chunk of metal/debrie in the valvebody? When you have the pan off inspect the wires-other than that take it to a couple shops for opinions. Good Luck!

Blue
    1995 Camaro

Sounds like your 3-4 frictions are slipping. Usually a bad tps causes low line pressure which burns up your frictions. What is the condition of your trans fluid?

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by bcuellar View Post
    e-mail sent

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

^? we wanna know!

teal
    96,s10

Still no 3rd or 4th, hadnt had the time to really look into it. tranny fluid is good. i was getting code 1810. it's never on at all times it comes and goes but problem stays. then i get other codes such as erractic misfire on all cylinders.po108,122,147,507,p1810,
    The possible cause for P0108:
    > Signal circuit open
    > Sensor open internally
    > sensor ground circuit
    > Sensor signal cicuit shortet to voltage
    > Failed PCM then i get code po507 rpmidle higher than normal but i already replaced throttle sensor.all codes i have gotten when this

teal
    96,s10

but they dont always show up again thats the problem. im only getting code 507 now and thats far and in between. cant get a code to actually return after i clear them and stay. wish i could get same codes all the time.
    Last edited by bcuellar; 02-21-2008 at 10:06 AM.

teal
    96,s10

po108,122,147,507,p1810,
    The possible cause for P0108:
    > Signal circuit open
    > Sensor open internally
    > sensor ground circuit
    > Sensor signal cicuit shortet to voltage
    > Failed PCM

Using a voltmeter measur the voltage of the MAP sensor signal circuit at the MAP harness cicuit connector. The voltage should be above 5.5 Volts. If tis is like this repai MAP sensor signal for a short to voltage. Im sure there is a short somewhere.

If you look thrue the sensor connector you will see 3 pins.o something like this: o The upper right pin is A, the upper left pin is B and the lower middle pin is pin C.
    A: Ground / color BK/LB
    B: 5 Volt supply / color VT/WT
    C. MAP sensor signal / color DG/RD

P0108(M) Map Sensor Voltage Too High MAP sensor input above maximum acceptable voltage
    On your 1996 Chevrolet Truck S10 P/U 4WD 4.3L SFI , the M.A.P. Sensor is located:

Under hood, center, upper engine area, mounted on front of center intake tubes

teal
    96,s10

P0122
    Circuit Description
    The Throttle Position (TP) sensor provides a voltage signal which changes relative to the throttle blade angle.
    The TP sensor signal voltage varies from about 0.5 volts at idle to about 4.5 volts at Wide Open Throttle (WOT) . The TP sensor signal is one of the most important inputs used by the Vehicle Control Module (VCM) for fuel control and for most of the VCM control outputs.

Each time the voltage drops below 1.25 volts and stops, the VCM assumes this value as 0 throttle angle. The measures the percent throttle from this point on. The DTC is a type A DTC.

Conditions For Setting The DTC
    The Following Conditions will set the DTC:

Engine running.
    TP sensor voltage is less than 0.15 volts.
    Action Taken When The DTC Sets

Important: The scan tool will not indicate a default value.

The VCM sets the DTC P0122. The VCM turns on the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) when P0122 is reported, and 1 failure has occurred.

Conditions For Clearing The MIL/DTC
    The VCM turns the MIL off after 3 consecutive driving trips without a fault condition present. A history DTC will clear if no fault conditions have been detected for 40 warm-up cycles (coolant temperature has risen 40F from the start-up coolant temperature and the engine coolant temperature exceeds 160F during that same ignition cycle) or the scan tool clearing feature has been used.

Diagnostic Aids
    The scan tool reads throttle position in volts. The TP should read about 0.45 to 0.85 volts with the throttle closed and the ignition ON or at idle. The voltage should increase at a steady rate as the throttle is moved toward Wide Open Throttle (WOT).

An open or short to ground in the 5 volt reference circuit or the TP sensor signal circuit results in a DTC P0122. Refer to Intermittents. See: Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures\Intermittent Condition

Scan the TP sensor signal while depressing the accelerator pedal with the engine stopped and the ignition ON. The display should vary from below 1.25 volts (1250 mV) when throttle was closed, to over 4.5 volts (4500 mV) when throttle is held at the Wide Open Throttle (WOT) position.

Test Description
    The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

If the TP signal measures less than 0.15 volt, then the fault exists.
    This test simulates the DTC P0123 (high voltage). If the VCM recognizes the high signal voltage, the VCM and the wiring are okay.
    This test simulates a high signal voltage in order to check for an open in the TP signal circuit.
    This step checks the 5 volt reference circuit for an open, short to ground, or a poor connection, or a faulty VCM.
    The VCM terminals GR12 and GR27 are spliced together inside the VCM. When checking the 5 volt reference for a short to ground, both the 5 volt reference circuits and all the components on the 5 volt reference circuits must also be checked.

teal
    96,s10

DTC P0108 MAP Sensor Circuit High Voltage
    The Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor responds to changes in intake manifold pressure (vacuum). A 5 volt reference is applied to the sensor on the 5 volt reference circuit. A variable resistor moves in relation to the manifold pressure and a voltage signal is sent back to the Vehicle Control Module (VCM) on the MAP signal circuit. This voltage signal varies from 1.0-1.5 volts at closed throttle to 4.0-4.6 volts at wide open throttle (low vacuum). The VCM utilizes the MAP signal and throttle position in order to determine the correct amount of fuel delivered to the engine. This DTC is a type A DTC.

No Throttle Position (TP) sensor DTCs are set.
    Throttle Position is no more than 0.4% when engine speed is no more than 1200 RPM.
    Or the Throttle Position is no more than 19.9% when engine speed is greater than 1200 RPM.
    MAP is greater than or equal to 4.34 volts.
    The VCM turns on the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) when DTC P0108 is reported and 1 failure has occurred. The VCM substitutes a calculated value for the MAP sensor so acceptable performance is maintained.

The VCM turns the MIL off after 3 consecutive driving trips without a fault condition present. A history DTC will clear if no fault conditions have been detected for 40 warm-up cycles (coolant temperature has risen 40F from the start-up coolant temperature and the engine coolant temperature exceeds 160F during that same ignition cycle) or the scan tool clearing feature has been used.

Diagnostic Aids
    With the ignition ON and the engine off, the manifold pressure is equal to atmospheric pressure with the signal voltage high. The VCM uses this information as an indication of the vehicle's altitude. Comparison of this reading with a known good vehicle using the same sensor is a good way to check the accuracy of a suspect sensor. Readings should be the same 0.4 volts. Refer to Intermittents. See: Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures\Intermittent Condition

Important: The electrical connector must remain securely fastened.

Important: After removing the MAP sensor from the intake manifold, replace the MAP Sensor to intake manifold seal.

Remove the MAP sensor. Twist sensor by hand (only) to check for intermittent connections. Output changes greater than 0.1 volts indicates a bad connector or connection. If OK, replace sensor.

Test Description
    Number(s) below refer to the step number(s) on the Diagnostic Table.

This step checks for a short to voltage on the 5 volt reference circuit.
    This step checks the integrity of the MAP sensor ground circuit.
    VCM pins GR12 and GR27 are spliced together inside the VCM. This step isolates the two pins from one another.

teal
    96,s10

DTC P0147 HO2S Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 3
    The Vehicle Control Module (VCM) supplies a voltage of approximately 0.45 volts (45 mV) between the HO2S High and HO2S Low circuits.

If this voltage is measured using a 10 megohm digital voltmeter, the voltage may read as low as 0.32 volt. The Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) varies the voltage within a range of about 1.0 volt (1000 mV) if the exhaust is rich to as low as 0.10 volt (10 mV) if the exhaust is lean.

When HO2S temperature is below 360C (600F), the sensor will not produce any voltage and will behave like an open circuit. This will result in an Open Loop operation.

The HO2S heater provides for faster sensor warm-up which allows the sensor to become active in a shorter period of time. The sensor will remain active during a long extended idle. The DTC P0147 determines if the HO2S heater is functioning properly by monitoring the amount of time necessary for the HO2S to become active after start-up. This DTC is a type B DTC.

The system voltage is greater than 9 volts but less than 17 volts.
    The Mass Air Flow (MAF) is less than 27 grams per second.
    The engine run time is greater than 2 seconds.
    The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor is less than 32C.
    The Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor is less than 32C.
    The difference between the ECT and IAT is no more than 5C.
    The elapsed time in order to obtain 0.150 volts from the HO2S bias voltage (0.300-0.600 volts) is greater than the calculated value.
    With a current DTC set, the VCM turns on the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) after 2 consecutive test failures.

Diagnostic Aids
    Perform the following checks:

Poor connection.
    Damaged harness-Inspect the harness connectors for the following items:
    Backed out terminals.
    Improper mating.
    Broken locks.
    Improperly formed or damaged terminals.
    Poor terminal to wire connection.
    Damaged harness.
    NOTE : Never solder the HO2S wires. For proper wire and connector repairs, refer to Diagrams.

Test Description
    The numbers below refer to the step numbers in the diagnostic table.

This step determines if the DTC P0147 is the result of a hard failure or an intermittent condition. With the ignition ON and the engine off, the HO2S (Bank 1, Sensor 3) voltage displayed on the scan tool should gradually change 0.150 volt, indicating that the heater is working properly. The HO2S voltage can rise as high as 975 mV before it toggles back down. The main thing to look for is a change.
    Probing the terminal D of the HO2S (Bank 1, Sensor 3) connector verifies if the voltage is available to the HO2S (Bank 1, Sensor 3) heater.

teal
    96,s10

DTC P0507 Idle Control System High RPMThe Vehicle Control Module (VCM) controls the idle speed with an Idle Air Control (IAC) valve to a calculated desired RPM based on sensor inputs and actual engine RPM. The VCM uses 4 circuits in order to move an Idle Air Control (IAC) valve, allowing a varying amounts of air flow into the intake manifold.

In order to increase the idle RPM, the VCM moves the IAC valve out, allowing more air to bypass the throttle plate. In order to decrease the RPM, the VCM moves the AC valve in, reducing the amount of air bypassing the throttle plate. A scan tool reads the VCM commands to the AC valve in counts. The higher the counts, the more air that is allowed to bypass the throttle plate (higher idle). The lower the counts, the less air that is allowed to bypass the throttle plates (lower idle). This DTC is a type B DTC.

No Throttle Position (TP) sensor DTCs.
    No Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) DTCs.
    ECT greater than 72C.
    Intake Air Temperature (IAT) greater than -25C.
    Baro greater than 70 kPa (less than 10,300 ft.).
    Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) less than 2 mph.
    No VSS DTCs.
    No Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) DTCs.
    System voltage greater than 10 volts but less than 18 volts.
    Engine run time greater than 30 seconds.
    TP less than 1%.
    Above met for a time greater than 3 seconds in order to enable diagnostic.
    The VCM turns on the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) after 2 consecutive driving cycles with the fault active.

Diagnostic Aids
    The following items could cause this DTC:

An AC valve which is stopped and cannot respond to the VCM.
    A throttle stop screw which has been tampered with.
    A damaged throttle or linkage.
    A slow, unstable, or fast idle may be caused by a non - IAC valve system problem that cannot be overcome by the IAC valve. Out of range control IAC scan tool counts will read above 60 it the idle is too low and zero if the idle is too high. Check for the following:

Fuel system too lean and rich.
    Throttle body - inspect the bore for foreign material.
    Refer to Rough, Unstable, or Incorrect Idle, Stalling . See: Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures\Rough, Unstable or Incorrect Idle/Stalling
    IAC reset is done with the scan tool misc. functions mode.

teal
    96,s10

DTC P1810 TFP Valve Position Sw CKT Malfunction
    The Automatic Transmission Fluid Pressure Manual Valve Position Switch (TFP Val. Position Sw.) consists of five pressure switches (two normally-closed and three normally-open), and a Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) sensor combined into one unit. The combined unit mounts on the valve body. The Vehicle Control Module (VCM) supplies the battery voltage for each range signal. By grounding one or more of these circuits through various combinations of the pressure switches, the VCM detects which manual valve position you select. The VCM compares the actual voltage combination of the switches to a TFP Val. Position 5w. combination chart stored in memory.

The TFP Val. Position Sw. cannot distinguish between Park and Neutral because the monitored valve body pressures are identical. With the ignition switch in the RUN position and the engine OFF, The TFP Val. Position Sw. indicates Park/Neutral. Disconnecting the transmission 20-way connector removes the ground potential for the three range signals to the VCM. In this case, with the engine OFF, and the ignition switch in the RUN position, D2 will be indicated.

When the VCM detects an invalid state of the TFP Val. Position Sw. or the TFP Val. Position Sw. circuit by deciphering the TFP Val. Position Sw. inputs, then DTC P1810 sets. DTC P1810 is a type B DTC.

DTC P1810 sets if any of the following fail cases occurs two consecutive times:

Case 1

(This condition detects an illegal switch combination).
    The system voltage is 10-17 volts.
    The engine is running.
    The VCM detects an illegal TFP Val. Position Sw. state.
    All conditions met for 5 seconds.
    Case 2

(This condition detects D2, D4, or Rev during an engine start).
    No Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Assy. DTC P0502
    The system voltage is 10-17 volts.
    The engine speed is less than 80 RPM for 0.1 second; then the engine speed is 80600 RPM for 0.1 second; then the engine speed is greater than 600 RPM.
    The vehicle speed is less than 3 km/h (2 mph).
    The detected gear range is D2, D4, or Rev.
    All conditions met for 5 seconds.
    Case 3

(This condition detects Park or Neutral when the vehicle should be in D4).
    No VSS Assy. DTC P0502.
    The speed ratio is 0.6-0.7 (speed ratio is engine speed divided by transmission output speed).
    The Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) is locked ON.
    The detected gear range is Park or Neutral.
    All conditions met for 24 seconds.

The VCM commands D2 line pressure.
    The VCM commands a D4 shift pattern.
    The VCM freezes shift adapts from being updated.
    The VCM illuminates the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) .

The VCM turns OFF the MIL after three consecutive ignition cycles without a failure reported.
    A scan tool can clear the DTC from the VCM history. The VCM clears the DTC from the VCM history if the vehicle completes 40 warm-up cycles without a failure reported.
    The VCM cancels the DTC default actions when the fault no longer exists and the ignition is OFF long enough in order to power down the VCM.
    Diagnostic Aids

Refer to TFP Val. Position Sw. Logic table for the normal range signals and the illegal combinations. On the chart, ON is 0 volts, OFF is B+.
    Inspect the wiring for poor electrical connections at the VCM. Inspect the wiring for poor electrical connections at the transmission 20-way connector. Look for the following conditions:
    A bent terminal.
    A backed out terminal.
    A damaged terminal.
    Poor terminal tension.
    A chafed wire.
    A broken wire inside the insulation.
    When diagnosing for an intermittent short or open condition, massage the wiring harness while watching the test equipment for a change.
    Refer to Automatic Transmission Fluid Pressure Manual Valve Position Switch Resistance Check or Functional Test Procedure for further information.
    Test Description
    The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic chart.

This step compares the indicated range signal to the selected manual valve.
    This step tests for correct voltage from the VCM to the transmission 20-way connector.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

a broken wire inside the insulation- sounds fun!

Thread Information