White
    72 Monte carlo

4L60E no 2nd - 3rd

From doing some reading over the forums here and there. i replaced the tps (38$) and fluid, filter. I checked the 2 sol 1-2 and 2-3 on the back of the val body removed and inspected them looked good. Its a 96 Chevy X 1/2 ton with 86K miles, father was pulling a trailer with 2 4 Weller's on it when he claimed the trany jumped into neutral and had it towed in. when i test drove it it has no 3rd it tries but not there. and after the upper repairs its still the same with no changes any idea's or a price on a rebuild kit for this thing?
    edit "forgot to add i ran a scan on this thing and had no codes stored"
    Last edited by Tennessee; 09-27-2006 at 07:08 PM. Reason: forgot to add that i scaned the ecm

blue
    2000ss

Kits are not that expensive if your just doing a stock rebuild ,I would do all the undates however and either use a z pack or 9 friction in 3-4 clutch ,and a heavy duty or beast sunshell for sure ,
    performabuilt

White
    72 Monte carlo

so we can say its time for a rebuild on this trany? Would i need any other type of tool other than my old 350 turbo tools that i used to rebuild in my day.

blue
    2000ss

tools

actually no you wouldnt the tools still work the same way lol , just use great care theres a little more to these than the th350 I havent built one of those in years
    Last edited by mrr23; 11-26-2006 at 04:59 PM. Reason: removed link to website. contact ed blown vert for sponsor information.

White
    72 Monte carlo

Sweet the rebuild went smoothly but had 1 boo boo. After pulling the trany out and placed in the working area i went to remove the front pump not knowing that there was a sensor stuck into the front pump. After pulling and tugging on the pump i broke it a little well i heard a crack, boy did i say everything under the book after i removed the pan and finding this thing stuck up inside of the pump. So i removed this sensor and only broke 1 side of the housing.
    this thing looks that it doesn't get side to side traffic but all in all its a sensor.
    I have the trany back together and in the truck with it almost ready to go.
    Should i replace this thing before filling up with fluid or run it?
    and what does it do?

BTW the 3/4 clutch pack was burt out.

blue
    2000ss

The sensor your speaking of is the lockup solinoid and yes replace it before you fill up with fluid or drive it
    PerformaBuilt

White
    72 Monte carlo

OK 1 more note truck runs fine down the road but when stopped the thing acks like a 1k stall speed but once u give a little gas it hits the gear and takes off. rebuilt pump, converter and new kit with steals. also installed the new lockup solenoid.

black
    2002 WS6

have you rechecked the fluid level might be low, or the lock up isn't working

White
    72 Monte carlo

fluid is good, and has goten worse has it got warmer, it has a slip sound and doesn't sound good. going back into the thing to see what went wrong.

blue
    2000ss

Let us know if you need and information , and just checking did you make sure and get the three 8mm vb bolts in there proper locations ,
    performabuilt

White
    72 Monte carlo

hmm not sure on the 3 bolts could that cause like pressure lose when the fluid gets hot? i placed the bolts where i tought thay went to lenth. i know i got the bolts back in place on the pressure plate right. o and thx for the support. im headed back down to drop the fluid and look at things in the pan, and come back to look for a reply.

White
    72 Monte carlo

ok i tore down the trany and took a shot of the vb to see where these 3 bolts go i have labled a pic with #'s so it would be easy to refer to

and found the slip sound in the img below

and the other end of the missing bearing i could have swore i put 1 in there.

tomorrow i will try and run down some o'friends to see if i can find some trany parts to replace my boo boo.

blue
    2000ss

ok 11 12 13 are the positions the 8mm bolts go in ,
    but on the missing thrust washer there is not one in that position in the 4l60e there was in the early 700r4 but theres nothing supposed to go there , but you do have a problem please check the bearing inder the sun gear and sprag , also make note of wether one of the overun clutches maybe was under the splines on the sprag pushing it up maybe ?
    Last edited by mrr23; 11-26-2006 at 04:55 PM. Reason: removed link to website. contact ed blown vert for sponsor information.

White
    72 Monte carlo

i know its a little late on the reply but yeah one of the overun clutches was under the splines on the sprag pushing it up

Thread Information